The Golden Tresses of the Dead: A Flavia de…

The Golden Tresses of the Dead: A Flavia de Luce Novel

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (10)

"Although it is autumn in the small English town of Bishop's Lacey, the chapel is decked with exotic flowers. Yes, Flavia de Luce's sister Ophelia is at last getting hitched, like a mule to a wagon. "A church is a wonderful place for a wedding," muses Flavia, "surrounded as it is by the legions of the dead, whose listening bones bear silent witness to every promise made at the altar." Flavia is not your normal twelve-year-old girl. An expert in the chemical nature of poisons, she has solved many mysteries, which has sharpened her considerable detection skills to the point where she had little choice but to turn professional. So Flavia and dependable Dogger, estate gardener and sounding board extraordinaire, set up shop at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, eager to serve--not so simple an endeavor with her odious, little moon-faced cousin, Undine, constantly underfoot. But Flavia and Dogger persevere. Little does she know that their first case will be extremely close to home, beginning with an unwelcome discovery in Ophelia's wedding cake: a human finger"--… (more)

Flavia and Dogger now have their own private detective agency in Bishop's Lacey. Flavia's sister finds a severed finger in her wedding cake which Flavia and Dogger determine to belong to a Spanish singer who recently died and was buried near London. The beans of an African native plant poison the daughter of a well-known ailment cure developer. Missioners from Africa are visiting Bishop's Lacey. Irregularities in deposits made by the altar guild puzzle the vicar. All threads are explored and, of course, relate in some way to the others. Flavia is growing up, and her precocious nature has mostly been transferred to cousin Undine. I enjoyed Dogger's insights, but I missed Flavia making the discoveries on her own. There was not a single reference to the Nide in this installment, making readers wonder why that thread was abandoned and what Flavia's future holds.

I'm sad to see this series come to an end on a less-than-stellar installment that leaves so many unanswered questions. I love Jayne Entwistle's narration of the series. ( )
  thornton37814 | Sep 17, 2019 |
The Golden Tresses of the Dead is another hilarious mystery starring precocious chemistry prodigy Flavia de Luce. With wit and plenty of charm, this whodunnit is sure to make you laugh, ponder, and be glad your child isn’t a chemistry prodigy with a penchant for solving murder cases.

This cast of well developed characters adds some new faces I certainly hope to see again, as well as more face time with past favorite Dogger.

This series is wonderful for many reasons; one of which is that each novel stands fairly well on its own. Though I can recommend all 10 novels, you can pick up any one and be sure to be delighted and attempting to solve the mystery as you go about your day ( )
  PawPrintsInTheSink | Aug 29, 2019 |
In the middle I wondered if our esteemed author had lost his touch. In the closing chapters I wondered if it should be declared a masterpiece. ( )
1 vote danhammang | Aug 14, 2019 |
Great narration ...intriguing story ... highly enjoyable ( )
  nmgski | Jun 23, 2019 |
THE GOLDEN TRESSES OF THE DEAD starts off with Flavia's sister Ophelia getting married. Flavia is delighted when Ophelia discovers a severed human finger in the cake and she rushes away to examine it...Whose finger is it to and why has it been placed in the wedding cake?

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |

Alan Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heikinheimo, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
- Sonnet 68, William Shakespeare
For Shirley with love: first, last, and always
I'd like to remark at the outset that I'm a girl with better than an average brain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,924,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible