Demon Unbound by Jenn Stark

Demon Unbound (2018)

by Jenn Stark

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the first book in this series. I enjoyed this. It is nothing unique and reads like what you expect when you pick a book from this genre. It is well written and I will definitely be checking out book 2 when it comes out, which it might already be.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review through Libraryhing’s Early Review program. ( )
  JLynFox | Oct 5, 2018 |
Nice entry into the series. Usual tortured souls lead in. Nice characterizations, worth checking out the next book. ( )
  bgknighton | Sep 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read "demon special ops team" in the description, and I was sold. This unique concept hooked me from the start and kept me engaged throughout.

Jenn Stark is a gifted writer. She doesn't tell us a story; she immerses us in the story. Setting, plot, character development, and dialogue were not individual aspects I noticed as techniques, but simply a part of that wonderfully synergistic fictional world a great author is able to create.

I'm not a big romance reader. For me, the romance has to be a secondary storyline, a part of something bigger. Here, we definitely have the romance factor, but it's anything but typical and it is part of a larger, complex plot.

The plot has an undercurrent of religion. It's not heavy-handed, and I think it works fine regardless of your particular belief (or disbelief). The story does feature demons, so it stands to reason that somewhere there would also be angels and, perhaps, a biblical God. You might find bits that conflict with your personal views, but it is fiction, after all, and in that respect it's no different than suddenly believing dragons inhabit the earth in a fantasy novel.

While this book is the first in a series, it does have a solid ending. No major cliffhangers, which I appreciate. We can see where book two might take us, but we aren't left dangling with unanswered questions.

*The publisher provided me with a review copy via LibraryThing.* ( )
  Darcia | Sep 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as an Early Reviewer.

While readable, I didn't find anything that special or intriguing about the story line or characters. It is your standard paranormal suspense/romance with demons. It was good to see a Latina as the protagonist. The writing was decent and the story did flow along at a good pace. ( )
  Wazeau | Aug 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If the 'romance' portion of this book was dropped, I would've enjoyed it a lot more. Fallen angels can be bad guys or good guys (although they're separated into 'fallen' and actual demons), which is a fairly creative twist, but I could've lived without the romance aspect. A multi-millennial fallen angel that has problems controlling his sexual desires for a modern Latina makes very little sense. You'd think that, after the first few hundred years, you'd get a handle on your hormones (wait, what? Do angels HAVE hormones?).

Still, overall, I enjoyed the story line, and thought it was fairly creative. ( )
  ljbryant | Aug 3, 2018 |
For Linda, who helped me shine the light.
"Welcome to be-a-utiful Acapulco!"

After serving untold millennia as the leader of a demon special ops team with a brutal reputation for efficiency, Warrick of the Syx has seen it all, done it all, killed it all. This time, though..there's a catch. And her name is Maria Santos. Beautiful, badass, and out for blood, Maria's wrestling with her own dark secrets. The kind of secrets that call to Warrick's twisted soul. A all he knows better than to answer.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jenn Stark's book Demon Unbound is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible