Between Silk and Sand by Marissa Doyle

Between Silk and Sand

by Marissa Doyle

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Seventeen year old Saraid is on her way to Muaburni to marry it's leader and she is eager to show him what an accomplished queen she can be. She has studied The Book and prepared as much as she can to be queen but her travels are interrupted by Cadel, a young warlord, who forces her to question her goals. This is a lovely romance and even though this kind of tale has been told hundreds of times I still enjoyed it. The characters were engaging and the story was well told. I think the book would have benefited from some more editing. The writing wasn't always believable and there were several grammatical errors. All in all i thought the story was good and I would read a follow up but I think the writing needs to be cleaned up a bit. I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review through the early reviewers program. ( )
  karen813 | Dec 20, 2018 |
Pretty darn good!
Saraid is the youngest princess of Thekla who must Journey to the far-off land of Mauburni to marry her betrothed Lord Commander. She is excited for the journey and has packed her most valuable possession... The Book which she has studied since adolescence on how to become the proper queen for her new husband. But the journey through the desert is long and throught with danger. Cadel is a warlord set on kidnapping the princess. When he does so, things start to get very complicated for Saraid and she must make a choice. Will she make the right choice for her new country and herself?
I feel like the story has been told before in so many different cultures with so many different players. however with that fact in mind I also think that this story was very well written. The banter between Saraid and Cadel is both humorous and awesome. Not as sweet & fuzzy as a lifetime film but definitely along those lines.
From the moment you start reading this book you dive into the world of this book which always makes for a really good story. The author writes in such a way that it pulls you right in from the very beginning and holds your attention until the end.
I enjoyed reading this story even though I felt like I had heard it being told before. It is a great tale and you always wonder about the choice to be made at the end.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes a quick and easy read in the romance department 💕 ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Nov 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
From the moment I started this book, I fell into its world. I didn't feel that awkward strain that occurs when writers are trying to craft a new world and feel the need to pull an uncoordinated Tolkien and invent a messy language or something. I similarly immediately understood the heroine. Saraid is thinking through the tough decisions of adult life while still a bit of a child, and that is wonderful to see done well. The story itself isn't wholly novel: there's a lost king, a princess betrothed to a stranger, and an impending trade war. That did not stop this story from being exciting and captivating.

I was a bit worried about the main love interest at first. I found him a little emotionally manipulative, and I don't know that his reticence to explain himself was ever satisfactorily answered. But I just don't care. Much like Saraid, I ended up liking him and rooting for the two to finally sort out their priorities and see that they needed to be together. The book has just enough heat for teens to relate but not enough to see it banned from middle school libraries, and those scenes didn't suffer from awkward, contrived sexiness that bears no likeness to something that would happen in real life.

I really like how the big climax (funny word given my last sentence) focused on Saraid sorting out how to balance what she wanted and thought was right with being a good leader. It's convenient (and narratively oh-so-satisfying) that the unselfish choice led to her also getting what she wanted, but her thought process definitely showed how she weighed her decision and demonstrated her development as a human and a royal.

If you like stories like "Ella Enchanted," this will absolutely tickle the same fancy. It's also fairly short and not in a series, which is refreshing for this genre! ( )
  dromedarydragon | Sep 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received this book from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

Saraid is the youngest daughter of the King of Thekla. She has spent her life studying the Book to become the perfect Queen of her future husband's land. Now her moment has come, she is off to Mauburni to marry the Lord Protector. But in order to reach her new home she must first cross a dangerous desert full of warlords and raiders. During the journey she is captured by the "king" of these people, Cadel. Cadel will allow Saraid to travel anywhere but Mauburni. As she gets to know Cadel and learns more about him and her future husband she is forced to make a choice in order to help her people and become the Queen she was meant to be.

I could not put this book down! It was a quick and easy read. In the beginning I was unsure if I liked the characters or not and found some of the plot to be unrealistic but as I read on the characters and plot drew me in. Overall it is one of the better books I have read recently and would recommend it to anyone who like young adult books with a but of mystery. ( )
  RebeccaLMello | Sep 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Spoiler free review. I have mixed feelings about this book. The author of this young adult fiction is a good storyteller but not a great writer. It bothered me that the royal/noble characters frequently used contractions and present day slang. At times, the dialogue is terrible. The book really needs better editing. There are quite a few mistakes. Sometimes the wrong pronoun is used or the same word is mistakenly used twice in a row. The prologue is better than the first half of the book. I wanted to stop reading this around page fifty-four. I kept reading because I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review and I felt obligated to finish it. I'm glad I stuck with it. I thoroughly enjoyed the second half of the book because the author created enjoyable characters and a good story. I particularly enjoyed the excerpts from the main character's favorite book. Between Silk and Sand is worthy of a sequel. I would advise the author to step up her game and pay more attention to the dialogue. It is my single biggest complaint in this book. I would also advise the author to shop around and have this adapted into a made for TV movie or miniseries.

My copy of this book is 300 pages and has beautiful cover art. ( )
  Calactress | Sep 1, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Marissa Doyle's book Between Silk and Sand is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Marissa Doyle is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible