Chevrolets of the 1950s: A Decade of…

Chevrolets of the 1950s: A Decade of Technical Innovation (2018)

by David Temple

1511928,127 (4.55)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love everything about this book - from the cut-away view of an early Corvette on the cover to the very-informative and easy-to-read contents. My only quibble is that some of the images are a bit subdued (computer printing still isn't quite up to the old color process printing in my opinion). I also wish the perfect binding (aka glued spine) was a bit more robust - but that seems to be the standard these days, at least with paperback books.

Where this book really shines is in the quality of its contents - it's suffused with technical information that's still fairly easy to read, great images of early design concepts/history and an explanation regarding the impact of each. You step through GM's design decisions through the 50's, a postwar period where Chevrolet really shines though technical innovation. You'll find the Vette, the Bel Air, the Nomad, and the Impala here in good detail. You'll also learn about the small block and how GM's transmissions changed driving in the US, contributing to what's under Chevys today. This book is worth having in your library.

I received this book as part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program so it was a freebie. ( )
  johnnyapollo | Dec 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an advanced copy of this book and am so glad . This book is well done from the text to the images with in the pages of this book. I feel like I could teach a class using this book as the Textbook for the lecture. The author is able to pack a lot of information in to the book without it being overwhelming. I can tell that this author researched the topic for a long time before compiling this treasure. ( )
  SheriannFS | Nov 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love the cars from the 1950's, so seeing all the Chevrolets in this book really brought back a lot of memories. It's nice to look back on cars that had "style", even if they were gas guzzlers. This Car Tech book has Lots of beautiful pictures! I received Chevrolets of the 1950s: A Decade of Technical Innovation by David Temple as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program in exchange for this review. ( )
  PeggyK49 | Sep 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Being a Chevrolet fan, I enjoyed this whole book. Mainly the development of the "55, and the Corvette. Along with all the problems learning about the fiberglass. lot of data included in the writing! ( )
  azroadrunner88 | Aug 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Once again CarTech has published a quality book. The author David Temple has written in this volume about several models of Chevrolet produced in the 1950’s. An era where Chevrolet really started to build its brand name.

The author explains all the new innovations happening at that time in not just technology, such as engines, but all in the evolution of the modern automotive assembly line. These innovations allowed a factory to assembly different models on the same assembly line. No part of the process is ignored including the interiors and frames of these vehicles.

What book on Chevrolet would be complete without acknowledging the creative work of Harley Earl. Mr. Earl is without question a large part of what made Chevrolet a large competitor in the 1950’s.

This book is an excellent reference for those who love the classic Chevrolet’s of this era or for those looking to restore one. Both type of readers will not only enjoy reading this work but find it a valuable resource for your automotive library. ( )
  hermit | Aug 8, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

David Temple's book Chevrolets of the 1950s: A Decade of Technical Innovation is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible