The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths

The Stranger Diaries (edition 2019)

by Elly Griffiths (Author)

Series: Harbinder Kaur (1)

"From the author of the beloved Ruth Galloway series, a modern gothic mystery for fans of Magpie Murders and The Lake House"-- Clare Cassidy is no stranger to murder. A high school English teacher specializing in the Gothic writer R. M. Holland, she teaches a course on it every year. But when one of Clare's colleagues and closest friends is found dead, with a line from R. M. Holland's most famous story, "The Stranger," left by her body, Clare is horrified to see her life collide with the storylines of her favorite literature. To make matters worse, the police suspect the killer is someone Clare knows. Unsure whom to trust, she turns to her closest confidant, her diary, the only outlet she has for her darkest suspicions and fears about the case. Then one day she notices something odd. Writing that isn't hers, left on the page of an old diary : Hallo Clare. You don't know me. Clare becomes more certain than ever: "The Stranger" has come to terrifying life. --… (more)
Member:JayJBear
Title:The Stranger Diaries
Authors:Elly Griffiths (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 349 pages

Work Information

The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths

I love the Ruth Galloway series so much I was a little afraid to read this - but I shouldn't have worried. Elly Griffiths is my favorite kind of crime writer - one who writes wonderful, interesting, complicated characters, whether they are the series lead, a secondary character or someone who's only there for this book. Now I'm worried there aren't enough Harbinder books - the most recent is called The Last Word - but it's also about an obituary writer. Plus, I'm just going to trust her and figure that I'll almost certainly enjoy whatever she comes up with. And probably re-read Ruth Galloway in the not-too-distant future. If you like Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie books, or Robert Galbraith's Cormoran Strike (before those books got ridiculously long), there's a pretty good chance you'll appreciate Griffiths. ( )
  keywestnan | Feb 12, 2024 |
As per usual, from Elly Griffiths, an excellent read. This book grips from page one to the end. I didn't guess the culprit, but I should have done; it was the only person that I hadn't suspected at any stage! ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Dec 31, 2023 |
There were multiple narrators and some worked better than others. I really enjoyed the first part of the book but the last third or so felt muddled and rushed. However, I did like the character of Harbinder Kaur so will pick up the next book to see if the series settles in. ( )
  mmcrawford | Dec 5, 2023 |
In the days leading up to Halloween, one of the English teachers at the Talgarth School is found murdered in her home. As the police investigate, they'll hone in on Clare Cassidy as a person of interest. Not only for Clare's close relationship with the victim but because a slip of paper was found near the body with the line from a story of a Victorian author that Clare regularly teaches. As Halloween approaches and more crimes follow, DS Harbinder Kaur has her work cut out for her as she works to solve who is behind the murder.

A truly atmospheric read, perfect for the final few days of October. The novel has distinctly Gothic vibes in both the contemporary mystery as well as the excerpts from the (fictional) Victorian short story that are interspersed throughout. Told from the three perspectives of Clare, DS Harbinder Kaur, and Clare's daughter, Georgie, Griffiths creates a really suspenseful and occasionally creepy mystery that kept this reader guessing until the very end. Filled with well-rounded characters and a mystery that will have a particular appeal to readers of Golden Age mysteries, this was an excellent read. Recommended. ( )
  MickyFine | Nov 3, 2023 |
Gothic novel with a couple murders, a story within a story, a rotating POV, and a bit of a ghost element thrown in. I liked it, but didn't love it. Definitely a perfect October read, but not one I'll return to. I never felt invested in the three main characters, but I did want to find out how the story ended. ( )
  bookworm12 | Nov 1, 2023 |

Wiberg, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wincott, AndrewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Awards

For Alex and Juliet. And for Gus, my companion animal.
'If you'll permit me,' said the Stranger, 'I'd like to tell you a story.'
Hell is empty.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,511,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible