An Anonymous Girl (2019)

by Greer Hendricks, Sarah Pekkanen

"When Jessica Farris signs up for a psychology study conducted by the mysterious Dr. Shields, she thinks all she'll have to do is answer a few questions, collect her money, and leave. But as the questions grow more and more intense and invasive and the sessions become outings where Jess is told what to wear and how to act, she begins to feel as though Dr. Shields may know what she's thinking...and what she's hiding."--… (more)

“We all have reasons for our judgments, even if those reasons are so deeply buried we don’t recognize them ourselves.”
― Greer Hendricks, An Anonymous Girl

How I enjoyed this book! This was a fantastic read. I had thought it would be but am sometimes let down. Not here. This was great!

I love the whole premise. So Jessica responds to an add placed by the mysterious Dr. Shields. She actually poses as someone else to get into the study. Dr. Shields is doing on experiment on psychology and will pay. Jessica needs to make some money and thinks this would be a great way!

Oh boy is she wrong!

I loved everything about An Anonymous girl. The characters, the pacing..all were exceptional. Jess herself is a really complicated character and I loved reading about her.

The pacing is exquisite. One cannot help but be carried along. It is a fresh and really unique premise. And it is impossible not to root for Jess as she gets pulled into darker and darker places as the experiment tests the limits of her psyche.

Coming from a family of Psychologists and social workers, it was impossible for me not to love this book. I think people who love their books to be analytical will adore this. It is so different and distinguishes itself as a book one will not forget easily at all.

This is a book that is not to be missed. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 5, 2022 |
This book was SO deliciously fun and cozy and strange to read. Dr. Shield completely captivated me for most of the novel, much like how she captivated Jess. It was interesting to read about how Jess sort of idolized her for much of the book and was drawn into her world. However, I didn't love the ending/resolution of Dr. Shield's character. It fell a little flat to me.

Also, the Noah character is adorable. I want a sweet boyfriend who makes French toast and owns a breakfast place! ( )
  samanddiane1999 | Jun 22, 2022 |
An Annonymous Girl is just another domestic thriller. The synopsis made it feel like there could be more to this story; sadly there was not. The voice Dr. Shields is written in is maddening, Jessica is shallow, Thomas is predictable. The story itself is absolutely ridiculous and implausible. ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
The story was good, but the ending lackluster. About 75% into the book, the feelings of suspense & dread kick in, but the ending was expected. I listened to this on audiobook and the narrators were amazing. Julia Whelan and Barrie Kreinik played their parts perfectly. The novel was worth reading, but don’t expect anything groundbreaking. ( )
  whatalicesaw | Apr 26, 2022 |
Jess, a makeup artist, is in a tight financial position when she hears about a psychology study at a local university. Answer a survey and earn $500? Sure, why not? But the questions are oddly invasive. Still, when the study coordinator, Dr. Shields, offers her the opportunity to participate further and earn more money doing further study, Jess agrees.

I thought the characters in this one were interesting and well-drawn. Jess comes from a very average-American background. A family where a parent loses a job. A bad financial situation caused by an accident and long-term disability (the portrayal of TBI was well-done here) that it’s easier not to think about until it happens to you. As a reader, you can see red flags, but you can also understand how desperate you would be in the same circumstances for any way out. Dr. Shields is also fascinating. Her narrative was more distanced than Jess’s, and sometimes in 2nd person pov, versus the rest of the story which is in 1st, which threw me a little at first, but I still devoured every scene, eager to see what would unfold in both narratives. So many twists. This one was impossible to put down!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |

Hendricks, Greerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, Sarahmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kreinik, BarrieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,216,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible