A Heart in a Body in the World by Deb…

A Heart in a Body in the World (edition 2018)

by Deb Caletti (Author)

2771981,898 (4.17)3
Followed by Grandpa Ed in his RV and backed by her brother and friends, Annabelle, eighteen, runs from Seattle to Washington, D.C., becoming a reluctant activist as people connect her journey to her recent trauma.
Member:alicia.becker
Title:A Heart in a Body in the World
Authors:Deb Caletti (Author)
Info:Simon Pulse (2018), 368 pages

Work Information

A Heart in a Body in the World by Deb Caletti

Ok, so this is not my ideal genre -- emotions! boys! teen life! Contemporary stuff, no magic.

That said:

This is a very timely novel, about gun violence and the control of women. The tension of the story is masterfully drawn out over the course of the book -- who is Seth? Where is Kat? Is Belle going to jail? It lays out the details gradually like a line of treats.

It's hard to put down, because tension, because Annabelle is a fully fleshed character who is all kinds of messed up and we don't know if she can/will heal.

A tiny thing that vaguely troubled me:

I am a Seattle-ite. I LOVED all the local details that are spot on (there are many, many). Greenwood Market closed in 2012, so that stood out as a jarring detail.

Advanced reader's copy provided by Edelweiss. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Wow. This book packs a wallop on so many levels combining important contemporary issues in a seamless way. All of the characters are so well drawn even secondary characters. Can't wait to share this with my students in the fall. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
Disclaimer: I have run endurance events before and so a lot of the running in this book spoke to my soul. Obviously that is not something that everyone can relate to.

But this books was an excellent journey through shame and healing and guilt and grief and I adored her support network that understood her more than she understood herself at times. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
I decided to read this when I found out that it was a fictional account of running across America, I had read a few non-fiction books about the feat and really enjoyed them so I wanted to see what the writer had to say about this in a fictional universe.
But as the book unfolded I discovered that it was about something much more important, gun violence and the harm it does not just to the gunshot victims but to the survivors as well. As seen through the eyes of a young woman about to graduate high school, who'd lost her best friend and her boy friend. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Gripping tale of life after loss and tragedy. ( )
  kimpiddington | Jan 21, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,755,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible