Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

A Seed Is Sleepy (2007)

by Dianna Hutts Aston

Other authors: Sylvia Long (Illustrator)

Series: Nature Books

An informative, yet beautiful, introduction to seeds.

This book is suitable for primary aged students. It encapsulates the different components and wonders of a seed. It describes seeds characters as being sleepy, adventurous, inventive, along with other qualities. This book is informative but also engaging, due to the beautiful illustrations, fonts, and colors. It is a wonderful book for curing young children's curiosity about growth within nature. I would love to use this book in my classroom as a part of a science lesson about nature. I find the book to be a great tool to use because of how informative and engaging it is. ( )
  emilyfdubois | Apr 7, 2021 |
This book is in poetic form and follows the life of seeds. The reader is able to read about components of seeds and the differences between the seeds. Such as the differences between fruit & vegetable seeds and a redwood tree. The visuals in the book are eye catching and engaging. I would say that this book offers an introduction to the life cycle of plants - enough to spark interest and give students a jumping off point into further research. This is a book I would use as a read-aloud before sending the students to gather seeds. I would then have the students label the seeds they found to the best of their ability and document their findings in their science notebook. Overall, I would say this book is grade appropriate for kindergarten - first grade. ( )
  Sierraskye25 | Oct 23, 2020 |
The book A Seed is Sleepy is all about different types of seeds, the life cycle, germination, how seeds get moved, and so on. This book is full of beautiful illustrations and facts that keep the reader interested and engaged throughout the entire book. It is full of information and could be used easily by a teacher in an elementary school classroom. Teachers could use this book for a science unit on plants and their life cycle! After reading this book, students can create a graphic organizer of a plant life cycle or plant their own seeds and document the information. I like this book because it is beautifully illustrated and holds a lot of great information that can be used for multiple projects and assignments. ( )
  MikaylaFlo | Oct 22, 2020 |
A seed is sleepy, secretive, fruitful, naked, comes in many sizes, is adventurous, drifts, is inventive, generous, ancient, thirsty, hungry, clever, sleepy, and awake! Beautifully written and illustrated. This book captures the fascinating details of the tiny and not so tiny seeds that give us life. It is artistically done, informative, and great for nature lovers of all ages. Makes a wonderful coffee table book. ( )
  Cleckie | Jul 28, 2020 |
An informative picture book about seeds and plant life is gorgeously captured through the illustrations and words throughout the book.
This book is great to use when having a lesson on germination and plant cycle. The book balances the information just right, making it suitable for children. ( )
  Sondosottallah | Nov 26, 2019 |

Dianna Hutts Astonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Long, SylviaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

An informative, yet beautiful, introduction to seeds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,338,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible