Bogotá 39: New Voices from Latin…

Bogotá 39: New Voices from Latin America

by Various, Gaby Wood (Introduction)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For the most part, I enjoyed this anthology of work by some of Latin America's young (under forty) fiction writers. All but a couple of the authors were new to me. As with any such grouping, some of the stories and excerpts from novels were more to my liking than others. And I have to admit, there were a few I really just skimmed through. But there were also several that made me want to read more by those authors -- and for that I'm very grateful. Very rewarding introduction to some really intriguing voices. ( )
  jlshall | Nov 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A wonderful and varied anthology of current Latin American writing, with thirty-nine authors representing fifteen different countries. There wasn't a dud in the bunch. One of my best wins from the Early Reviewers program! ( )
  seeword | Nov 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The reader should consider this book to be a literary journal. The editors present 39 young Latin American writers on the rise. This is a good way to become familiar with new writers who are establishing them selves in their literary careers.

As with most collections there is a varied response. the writers that stood out for me were;
Juan Pablo Roncone
Liliana Colanzi
Juan Esteban Constain
Lolita Copacaban
Carlos Fonseca

Certainly an ample list that would make reading these selections worthwhile.

For anyone with a strong interest in Latin American Literature this is a good way to become familiar with "new' voices. ( )
  berthirsch | Oct 27, 2018 |
I have to say - I hated reading this book. Not for the reasons you might think though. See, the problem is that I have a big backlog on my "to be read" pile already. This book did have a number of complete short stories, but it also had excerpts from novels. With few exceptions, the work was amazing... and that's why I hate it. The excerpts...no...I can't add more books to the pile!

Anyway, highly recommended if you're looking for new authors to check out. Be warned - the stories are pretty dark throughout. ( )
  Sean191 | Oct 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bogota 39 is an interesting collection of short stories from Latin America. There is no particular theme that ties these stories together. They are written by new authors and range in topics from a story about a Christmas tree to a story about the death of a three year old girl. The stories are from 15 different countries.

Reading these stories gives you a sense of the cultural differences that exist and the way different family members react to them. The characters in each story are thought-provoking and unique. Some of the stories are memorable others are not. It is worth the readers time to become engaged in this broad sweep of topics from these talented writers! ( )
  barb302 | Jul 30, 2018 |

Variousprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wood, GabyIntroductionmain authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Various's book Bogot√° 39 is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible