Squirm by Carl Hiaasen

Authors:Carl Hiaasen (Author)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2018), 288 pages
Rating:*****

Squirm by Carl Hiaasen

SQUIRM is another great read from Newbery Medal winning author, Carl Hiaasen.
This book is not one of his adult offerings. Subjects and characters are geared to upper elementary-aged students and above.
Carl Hiaasen’s titles have a wonderful sense of place; quirky, very detailed, likable characters; dysfunctional family (and civic) situations; ecological themes; and tongue-in-cheek comedic circumstances.
In SQUIRM, I especially liked the descriptions of Montana; the fly-fishing; river travel and the eagles. I’m afraid that I am still not fond of snakes.
I am a huge fan of Carl Hiaasen. I would read table saw ads if he wrote them. His adult books have sent me into wild spasms of laughter. He is an excellent, excellent author.
Please check out all his tiles - for adults and kids. ( )
  diana.hauser | Oct 11, 2018 |
Billy Dickens has moved around a lot. His mother likes to live where there are nesting eagles. When the eagles leave, so does she. His father lives in Montana. One summer Billy decides to leave for Montana to see what his mystery father is doing out there. He finds himself in the wilderness with snakes, bears and a dangerous poacher. ( )
  lilibrarian | Oct 10, 2018 |
Well, he has done it again. Carl Hiaasen has written a book that kids will find hard to put down once they start. Billy Dickens like snakes (ewwwwweeeeeee). He is a friend to most animals and with a mother like his you can understand why. His mom is crazy about Bald Eagles. She follows them around Florida, and spends the weekends on family eagle watching outings. Everytime the eagles abandon the nest where she lives, she has to find a new nest to live near. This means Billy has spent plenty of time moving. This time he just wants to stay put. His current place has great snakes.

But, Billy is curious about his father. When dad walked out he never looked back. He supports his kids financially, but never a letter, never a call. Just the monthly check. But Billy wants to see his dad. Upon finding his father’s address on the envelope, he plans a trip to Montana. Come heck or high water he is going to meet the man that he only knows by name. And since this is a Hiaasen novel you know there will be some type of trouble with animals and/or an environmental concern, and Billy has to help.

This adventure is going to see Billy and his step sister, Summer Chasing-Hawks, watching out for grizzly bears in Montana, and and panthers in Florida. You have to throw in some high tech drone action, plus all the snark you can handle.

I did love this story, but to me it does not live up to the level Hiaasen reached with Chomp. I think part of it was the back and forth between Montana and Florida. Plus the meet ups with dad. You really start to hate the man as you read this book, and I think that the forgiveness part comes too soon, and too quick. I really want to hand my galley to my nephew but fear this book will come too close to his current situation with his father. And I won't lie, that maybe what colors some of my opinion.

Overall, this book is a great adventure. Readers young and old will fall in love with Billy and Summer, and maybe even forgive the adults for their faults. And for those people like me who are not fond of snakes, there is a little snake action, but nothing to fear. I would put this book at a 4th+ reading level, but think it could be a fun read aloud for younger kids. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Jul 2, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,576,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible