Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Brazen and the Beast (2019)

by Sarah MacLean

Series: The Bareknuckle Bastards (2)

New York Times Bestselling Author Sarah MacLean returns with the next book in the Bareknuckle Bastards series about three brothers bound by a secret that they cannot escape--and the women who bring them to their knees. The Lady's Plan When Lady Henrietta Sedley declares her twenty-ninth year her own, she has plans to inherit her father's business, to make her own fortune, and to live her own life. But first, she intends to experience a taste of the pleasure she'll forgo as a confirmed spinster. Everything is going perfectly...until she discovers the most beautiful man she's ever seen tied up in her carriage and threatening to ruin the Year of Hattie before it's even begun. The Bastard's Proposal When he wakes in a carriage at Hattie's feet, Whit, a king of Covent Garden known to all the world as Beast, can't help but wonder about the strange woman who frees him--especially when he discovers she's headed for a night of pleasure . . . on his turf. He is more than happy to offer Hattie all she desires...for a price. An Unexpected Passion Soon, Hattie and Whit find themselves rivals in business and pleasure. She won't give up her plans; he won't give up his power . . . and neither of them sees that if they're not careful, they'll have no choice but to give up everything . . . including their hearts.… (more)

It's the "Year of Hattie": Hattie Sedley plans to get herself ruined (unmarriageable) in order to convince her father that she does NOT want a husband and children - what she really wants is to take over the family shipping business. Unfortunately, Hattie's shortsighted, lazy brother has been attacking the Bareknuckle Bastards' illegal shipments on their way out of London, and the Bastards are out to get him - especially because they believe that their half-brother Ewan is behind the attacks. Hattie and "Beast" (a.k.a. Whit) are on a collision course: though they should be on opposite sides, maybe they can use each other to get what they want. Naturally, they have instant chemistry, etc. etc. etc.

Simply did not care about the characters or plot, put it down about halfway. Will not continue with this series. I hoped I would like this one better than Wicked and the Wallflower but it's just not my cup of tea.
  JennyArch | Feb 12, 2021 |
Damn you, Sarah MacLean. I couldn't stop reading. My eyes are burning—both from crying and from the strain of keeping them focused for so long because I couldn't not finish this book once I'd started. I knew I'd love Whit, but I didn't know just how much. And then there's Hattie. Precious Hattie. She reached into my soul and pulled out a truth I didn't even know was there:

"I fear a life of half measures, full of shadows of emotions and hints of possibilities and a thousand things I might have had if only I’d reached a bit farther."

I just know Ewan and Grace's book is going to kill me. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Funny and poignant. I just discovered jet books and so fast I recommend all of them. ( )
  karidrgn | May 21, 2020 |
4.5* ( )
  Joana_v_v | Apr 6, 2020 |
Sarah MacLean does it again! In this second book in the Bareknukle Bastards Series Beast (aka Saviour Whitington) meets his match in the fiercly independent and strong Hattie Sedley. As her 29th birthday approaches Hattie is intent on celebrating The Year of Hattie by first getting ruined and then by taking over her father's shipping business.
Her plans are interrupted when she finds Beast tied up in her carriage. He brother Augie (a worthless excuse for a human if there ever was one) has been hijacking the Bastards shipments. When Beast finds out who he is Augie will be happy to come out of it alive. Unlike Augie, Hattie not only stands up to Beast, she negotiates with him.
While they seem to be on opposite sides, you can see the attraction like iron to a magnet. you know they are meant to be together but can they each get over their feelings of unworthiness to let it happen. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |

Sarah MacLeanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For V.

You’re my favorite thing.
In twenty-eight years and three hundred and sixty-four days, Lady Henrietta Sedley liked to think that she’d learned a few things.

Sarah MacLean is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,335,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible