Abridged Classics: Brief Summaries of Books You Were Supposed to Read but…

by John Atkinson

A collection of irreverent summations of more than 100 well-known works of literature, from Anna Karenina to Wuthering Heights, cleverly described in the fewest words possible and accompanied with funny color illustrations. Abridged Classics: Brief Summaries of Books You Were Supposed to Read but Probably Didn't is packed with dozens of humorous super-condensed summations of some of the most famous works of literature from many of the world's most revered authors, including William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Emily Brontë, Leo Tolstoy, Jane Austen, Mark Twain, J.R.R. Tolkien, Margaret Atwood, James Joyce, Plato, Ernest Hemingway, Dan Brown, Ayn Rand, and Herman Melville. From "Old ladies convince a guy to ruin Scotland" (Macbeth) to "Everyone is sad. It snows." (War and Peace), these clever, humorous synopses are sure to make book lovers smile.… (more)

Know all those great Classics of times old? Huck Finn? Macbeth? Moby Dick? War and Peace?

Did you, uh, "read" those in school and turn a sturdy "C+" book report? Well, if you're struggling to remember what those greats were about, this telling pretty much sums up over fifty of those classic titles in about one sentence. Humorously! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this one. Although you don't get the sense that you can run out and write a brand new book report based on these brief summaries, the one-two sentence wrap up of each title gives you a firm idea of what you are in for.

It was quick to flip through and even made me ponder reading a few of the classics I did not read.

So if you want a laugh, or, as I just mentioned, are just wondering if you should finally read Wuthering Heights, definitely grab yourself a copy of this. It's worth a chuckle at any rate. But was definitely useful too! ( )
  RayRosa | Feb 18, 2022 |
I know that many of us could use a bit of added levity in our lives these days and, as we are bookish people, Abridged Classics by cartoonist John Atkinson is probably a good place to find some. Although the subtitle will be inaccurate for most of us--Brief Summaries of Books You Were Supposed to Read But Probably Didn't--since we don't dodge the classics, we can find these very brief comics funny because we are, in fact, in the know.

With one or two page spreads on over 100 books, this is a fun read that even "kid" (who is heading to high school and will be expected to read a couple of these) enjoyed.

https://webereading.com/2018/07/new-release-abridged-classics.html ( )
  klpm | Aug 26, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,685,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible