Blended by Sharon M. Draper

Blended (edition 2020)

by Sharon M. Draper

Eleven-year-old Isabella's blended family is more divided than ever in this thoughtful story about divorce and racial identity from the award-winning and New York Times bestselling author of Out of My Mind, Sharon M. Draper. Eleven-year-old Isabella's parents are divorced, so she has to switch lives every week: One week she's Isabella with her dad, his girlfriend Anastasia, and her son Darren living in a fancy house where they are one of the only black families in the neighborhood. The next week she's Izzy with her mom and her boyfriend John-Mark in a small, not-so-fancy house that she loves. Because of this, Isabella has always felt pulled between two worlds. And now that her parents are divorced, it seems their fights are even worse, and they're always about HER. Isabella feels even more stuck in the middle, split and divided between them than ever. And she's is beginning to realize that being split between Mom and Dad is more than switching houses, switching nicknames, switching backpacks: it's also about switching identities. Her dad is black, her mom is white, and strangers are always commenting: "You're so exotic!" "You look so unusual." "But what are you really?" She knows what they're really saying: "You don't look like your parents." "You're different." "What race are you really?" And when her parents, who both get engaged at the same time, get in their biggest fight ever, Isabella doesn't just feel divided, she feels ripped in two. What does it mean to be half white or half black? To belong to half mom and half dad? And if you're only seen as half of this and half of that, how can you ever feel whole? It seems like nothing can bring Isabella's family together again--until the worst happens. Isabella and Darren are stopped by the police. A cell phone is mistaken for a gun. And shots are fired.… (more)
Member:MissSherwood
Title:Blended
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:New York : Atheneum, 2020.

Work Information

Blended by Sharon M. Draper

This book was a wonderful read. I found that there were so many emotions running through me as I read this book. The flow of the story was also something I rather enjoyed as it jumped around from week to week as Isabella/Izzy switched between her mother and father's house. Having been through a divorce myself, I understood some of the struggles that Isabella went through in this story, but my parents divorced when I was in college. I never had to go through the trouble of flipping homes each week, but I certainly was able to feel the frustration that Isabella experienced.

This book also touched on racism and racial profiling through bullying and police brutality in a way that really expressed the anger, sadness, frustration, fear, and pain that black people experience. It was also addressed in a way that, as a juvenile book, is written in a fantastic way for younger readers to understand as well as adult readers.

I highly recommend this book.
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
Easy for kids to relate to ( )
  SamMusher | Jul 16, 2021 |
Isabella struggles to navigate her parent's divorce and her identity in this fantastic Sharon Draper book that is perfect for upper elementary and middle grade students. "Izzy" started plunking on a piano as a three-year-old and has a passion for playing; it brings her solace and a purpose when other facets of her life feel like they're in turmoil. Draper offers a balanced view of Izzy's two "lives" -- one at her lower middle class mother and stepfather John Mark's home and the other at her affluent father and stepmother Anastasia's home. Each chapter highlights one week with either her mother or father and then transitions to the other in the following chapter. Her mother is Caucasian and her father is African American, which further complicates Isabella's "identity crisis." She struggles with where she belongs, until she witnesses first hand the deep love that both her mother and father have for her. My own children, who are Caucasian and Mexican, struggled through school to feel like they "belonged" in groups of peers. Unfortunately, some kids are mean and said they weren't "white" and other kids said they weren't "Mexican enough," so they struggled to find where they belonged. I think other children might relate to this struggle as well. In the story, Isabella realizes she is a part of both of her parents and embraces that by the end of the story. Incidents toward the end of the book are intense and involve a shooting that shadows real-life tragedies and current societal issues, so care should be taken if using the book in upper elementary (4th/5th grades). Overall, this is a great contemporary realistic fiction book with a likable main character and scenarios that will resonate with students who have experienced/are experiencing.the difficulties of divorce. I really like the work ethic portrayed in Isabella and her quest to perfect songs she'll be playing in "Pianopalooza;" this is great modeling. Izzy has a fun personality and faces very relatable tween/early teen problems.
  AudraD | Jul 14, 2021 |
I loved this book so much. It was written so beautifully and was heartfelt and honest, especially since the things that happened to Isabella happen to people in real life. This book is a big favorite of mine. ( )
  EmilyMabb | Jun 21, 2021 |
Eleven-year-old Isabella’s blended family is more divided than ever in this “timely but genuine” (Publishers Weekly) story about divorce and racial identity from the award-winning and New York Times bestselling author of Out of My Mind, Sharon M. Draper. ~Amazon
  stlukeschurch | Mar 27, 2021 |

Sharon M. Draperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Draper, Sharon M.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,393,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible