Moonshine by Rob Thurman

by Rob Thurman

Aneris | Dec 29, 2016 |
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I was pretty excited to read this one after enjoying the first so much. Not a bad book, but the story was not nearly as interesting in the way it was done until the second half of the book. Still going to continue reading the series, this one was just a bit lackluster to me.

Cal is still struggling adapting to what he found out he is, moving around a lot with his brother, learning to fight and be responsible, all the while keeping up his sarcastic personality, pessimism, and mistrust. I can truly imagine the lifestyle would be exhausting and hideous. Nikos is still dedicated, disciplined, and a little too perfect for me to like much but he is clearly supposed to be and remain one of the two mains of the series.

The book is rich with plenty of mystical characters in the urban setting: Cal's family foe history, unglamorous type weres, a beautiful vampire woman who has caught Niko's eye and interest, and a psychic girl who's attached to Cal. I was happy to see Robin return, as he was such a hoot and intriguing character from the first story. The scenes where he flirts with Niko, which Cal finds amusing and Niko a bit uncomfortable, are particularly amusing.

The story starts out a bit slow and there's a lot of inner monologue and worrying which keeps driving the chapters to build up to the main meat and heart of the tale. This is a bit off putting and while still a good book, I wasn't as grabbed by far as I was by the brilliant beginning build-up and mystery of the first.

This series is truly a darker Urban Fantasy. There's grimness and an overhanging shadow of doom and despair. The characters are all serious, with the exception of Robin's light banter, but still there's always a lot at stake, violence around every corner, and potential impeding doom, destruction, disaster, death, you name it. The d's of darkness are ever present here and each story is saturated with it.

To me it was disorientating sometimes because with some scenes instead of reading through them, Cal would suddenly be ahead of what happened and replay what happened after the fact. I find this to be a bit distant and distracting. In Nightlife it made more sense to do this as the writer did, considering looking back on what happened slowly was the point to show there was a mystery and to reveal little details at a time for the reader. In Moonshine there really is very little mystery and it's more of an action themed story, so the flashbacks of the scene rather than writing through it don't make as much sense of dramatic impact. In addition, Moonshine used this technique even more than Nightlife did, even though it doesn't make sense to really use it at all.

When Cal is not focusing a little too much on inner angst, the pacing is pretty good and action fierce. While I didn't care as much for this one, I still am anxious to get the rest of the series and see more unfold. I want to see more of the monsters from the first book again heavier too, the Auphe. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Rob Thurman is a very good example of urban fantasy. Her writing is crisp, sharp and sarcastic, full of banter and good old boy humour that will keep you snickering.

Cal and Niko very much remind me of two brothers from Supernatural. So if you like this show you will most certainly love the books.

The brothers are tight, and it's quite touching to see how they can not imagine life without each other and will do anything in their power to save one another.
I also love the puck, Robin Goodfellow, narcissistic, wickedly charming fashion plate/comedian and Promise, a vampire and a black widow who buried five husbands and got her hands on their fortune. Along with brothers Leandros they make a formidable team.

Although this book is not as intense as the first one, Rob Thurman definitely laid the groundwork for the future adventures of the brothers with all the new developments that happened in Moonshine.

And the quotes! You can quote half of the book, the phrases are so catchy :)

" I shitteth you not."

"Sufficient unto the day the ass kicking therein."

Overall, a very good read. I intend to go through all the books written by this author and thoroughly enjoy them. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
To my kick-ass mom.  She could take on both Cal and Niko.  Watch out, guys. There's a new sheriff in town.
I was born a monster.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461398, Mass Market Paperback)

After saving the world from his fiendish father's side of the family, Cal Leandros and his stalwart half-brother Niko have settled down with new digs and a new gig-bodyguard and detective work. And in New York City, where preternatural beings stalk the streets just like normal folk, business is good. Their latest case has them going undercover for the Kin-the werewolf Mafia. A low-level Kin boss thinks a rival is setting him up for a fall, and wants proof. The place to start is the back room of Moonshine-a gambling club for non-humans. Cal thinks it's a simple in-and-out job. But Cal is very, very wrong.

Cal and Niko are being set up themselves-and the people behind it have a bite much worse than their bark...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

In New York City, Cal Leandros and his half-brother Niko, going undercover for the Kin--the werewolf mafia--to find a traitor in their midst, infiltrate Moonshine, a gambling club for nonhumans, and soon discover that this is no simple in-and-out job.… (more)

Rob Thurman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,800,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible