Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona…

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: Kate Daniels (1)

Mercenary Kate Daniels cleans up urban problems of a paranormal kind. But her latest prey, a pack of undead warriors, presents her greatest challenge.
Member:liscosity
Title:Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace, Mass Market Paperback, 261 pages

Work Information

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (2007)

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (SunnySD)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (AmethystFaerie, shadiphoenix)
    The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay (noneofthis)
    noneofthis: For the alternate Atlanta location.
    Claimed by Shadow by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Touch the Dark by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Embrace the Night by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Blood Engines by T. A. Pratt (The_Holy_Terror)
    Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books are slow to build urban fantasy stories with strong female leads and very light romantic UST. Fans of one would probably enjoy the other as well.
    Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge (TheBooknerd)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (pwaites)
    pwaites: Urban fantasy, strong female lead, and very interesting world building.
    Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy (majkia)
    majkia: very different ideas of female protags in urban fantasy
    Mind Games by Carolyn Crane (leahsimone)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (MyriadBooks, reconditereader)
    The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker (Vierran)
    Vierran: Lindsay Buroker's Emperor's Edge series is set in a semi-steampunkish fantasy world, and has fast-paced adventure with well-drawn characters, a hint of romance, and plenty of humour.
    Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone (pwaites)
    Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane (reconditereader)

English (234)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (238)
I picked this book up on a recommendation. At first I was really into the book and couldn't walk away from it, then things started to get a little slow for me. To me there was a lot of repeating and useless info.

Kate is a great main character and while I wasn't too clear on the whole issue with her blood, I did connect with her. I loved that she knew to be afraid of things, but that she never let on just how afraid she was. The magic in the book confused me and I couldn't really grasp onto it.
I wasn't sure about the vampires, and really after reading so many vampire books this one threw me a little. Mindless creatures controlled by the People were a big stretch for me, though I can see the appeal and know that at least the vampires won't be love interests in this book!!
The shapechangers ( love that name by the way) were a great surprise, and who wouldn't want to kiss and kill the Lord of the Free Beasts? Curran was a great addition to the book and I would have loved to see a little more tension between him and Kate, but that kiss was a good one!!
All in all, I did enjoy the book and would recommend it for a quick read! ( )
  chaoticmel | May 18, 2024 |
1st read: October 2020
2nd read: July 2023

Magic disappeared from the world a few thousand years ago, but now it's coming back in waves. The magic wears away technology, rendering it useless when magic is in full swing.

Kate is a great character. She messes up sometimes, but owns up to it and tries to make it right. She's strong and funny.

I really liked Magic Bites this time around. I'm not sure what my problem was a few years ago. :)

********************
Original review:
I like the world and the characters, but the writing is really difficult for me to read. The authors are excessively descriptive about things that do not matter to the story, like how a room is decorated or what someone is wearing. I like some details, but this was too much.

I've heard that the second book is better, so maybe I'll give it a try sometime. ( )
  zeronetwo | May 14, 2024 |
4.0⭐

One of my favorite series and probably the number one urban fantasy series. I am definitely very biased toward it.

The first thing that stood out to me immediately when I first picked up this book was the word building. The world is in the middle of a magical apocalypse, switching between waves of magic and technology. When the magic wave hits, technology fails and complex structures crumble. While the magic is up, well, then basically anything supernatural can happen. That includes a wide range of beasts, humanoids, and other forms of life from a variety of mythologies. Some people can wield different kinds of magic that help them survive in this new world. Those who don't just hope the technology wave will hit soon and hopefully make the monster disappear, or at least make the guns work. This whole setup just feels so original and allows exploration of a big variety of magical mishaps.

Then we have Kate, our main character. She has a problem guarding her mouth sometimes, which gets her into trouble. She is a kind of badass but with a big heart and a very self-sacrificing personality. She just can't help herself but protect those in danger. Also, the mystery of her origins and powers adds some intrigue to the mix. But while her monologues are great, it's her interactions with other characters that are just legendary. Especially with the romantic interest. Expect some head-butting and wordplay.

The first book is probably the worst of the series and contains a plot hole/illogical moment that was likely caused by some need for cutting. The characterization is not at its best, either. I would encourage anyone to continue forward to at least book two if book one piqued your interest at all. By book three, you should know for certain if it's worth going forth. Although, personally for me, the series blows up in book four when the main connecting storyline gets properly established. ( )
  Levitara | Apr 5, 2024 |
Really probably 3.5 stars. Not my favorite of the series. Hate that Curran and Jim blame Kate for the mess with Crest when it was their idea in the first place. And for them thinking she’s a glory hound when that’s farthest from what she wants ( )
  corliss12000 | Mar 16, 2024 |
Just as good 4 years later. It's interesting looking back to see the slow & steady world and character building. Such a great writing duo ( )
  jazzbird61 | Feb 29, 2024 |

Andrews, Ilonaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balfe, LoriAuthors' photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinInterior text designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fiore, AnnetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gill, JasonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, RenéeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Chad MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughters, Anastasia and Helen
I sat at a table in my shadowy kitchen, staring down a bottle of Boone's Farm Hard Lemonade, when a magic fluctuation hit.
Every city has one of those neighborhoods -- dangerous, sinister places -- so treacherous that even the criminals who prey on other criminals shun them. Unicorn Lane was such a place. Thirty city blocks long and eight blocks deep, it cut through what used to be Midtown like a dagger. Half-crumbled skyscrapers stood there, mute witness to the past technology, the husks of GLG Grand, Promenade II, and One Atlantic Center, gnawed down to the bones by magic. Rubble choked the streets and sewage overflowed from the busted pipes in foul-smelling streams. Magic pooled there, lingering even in the strongest of tech waves, and hideous things that shun the light found refuge there, among the dark carcasses of gutted high rises. Lunatic mages, vicious, perverted loups who feared a death at the hand of unforgiving Pack, Satanists, and rogue necromancers all ran to Unicorn, for if they could make it there and survive, no lawman on this earth would force them out. Unicorn Lane held on to its own.

Hell of a place for a rendezvous. (chapter 3)
Artists emanate a great deal. They agonize over their looks, over their age, over the competition. A very minute detail can become a matter of great gravity. The building in which they perform soaks in their failures, their jealousy, their disappointments like a sponge and holds all that misery in. It's why empaths don't go to anything about the level of spring faire performances, the atmosphere overwhelms them.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,340,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible