The Mulberry Tree by Allison Rushby

The Mulberry Tree (original 2018; edition 2020)

by Allison Rushby (Author)

Juvenile Fiction. Juvenile Literature. Mystery. HTML:

Is the eerie tree beside their bucolic cottage really a threat to ten-year-old Immy? Legend and hearsay give way to a creepy series of events in a captivating mystery.

Do naught wrong by the mulberry tree, or she'll take your daughters . . . one, two, three.

Ten-year-old Immy and her family have run away from their storm cloud of problems to a tiny village in Cambridgeshire, England, where her depressed physician father can take a sabbatical and get back on his feet. Luckily, they find an adorable thatched cottage to begin a new life in. But their new home comes with one downside: in the backyard, there is an ancient, dark, and fierce-looking mulberry tree that has ceased bearing any fruit. There's a legend that the towering tree steals away girls who live in the cottage on the eve of their eleventh birthday, and villagers even cross the street when they pass by the house. Of course, Immy thinks this is all ridiculous. But then she starts to hear a strange song in her head. . . . In a page-turner perfect for middle-graders, Allison Rushby folds themes of new-school travails, finding friends, being embarrassed by parents, and learning empathy into a deliciously goose-bumpy supernatural mystery.

… (more)
Member:eheinlen
Title:The Mulberry Tree
Authors:Allison Rushby (Author)
Info:Candlewick (2020), 304 pages
Collections:Reviewed

Work Information

The Mulberry Tree by Allison Rushby (2018)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I LOVED this book! It is one of those books that I read in one sitting because I didn't want to miss anything. I loved how each thing in the past intersected with and changed the future in a new and unique way. I highly recommend this book.
  eheinlen | Jan 23, 2023 |
A rather gentle horror story for middle grades, this very cleverly looks at mistakes and forgiveness. Set in an English village, Rushby gives us the outsiders' (Australian and American) perspective on local superstitions without being unkind. Our protagonist, Immy, nearly eleven, spends the whole story learning about subtleties, and about there being more to any given situation than good or bad.

Lest I make it sound like this is a didactic children's story, it isn't. We experience Immy's learning about the situations around her, and her increased understanding, as she learns about the story of the mulberry tree in the back garden. And there are some lovely extra bits, such as the sideline about hedgehogs. ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 23, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow! I loved it! Once I picked it up, I didn't want to put it down. This is a great story of empathy and understanding. Immy and her family had to move to a small town in England after her mother got a position at a hospital there and so her dad could take a break from being a GP after a patient of his caused the death of a mother and child. Immy's father has not been the same since and she blames him for having to move and for not being like before. Once in Cambridgeshire, they find the Lavender Cottage, a beautiful little place with a legend surrounding it. The mulberry tree found in tbe backyard was known to steal little girls on the eve of their 11th birthday. Many families in the village believed the stories and were very much afraid of the tree, including the family renting out the cottage who had a daughter the same age as Immy.
Throughout the story Immy learns to empathize and finds a way to help the dying and scary mulberry tree.
This is a creepy supernatural mystery that grips you. Perfect for middle grade readers (8-12). ( )
  Kristyn44 | Jul 6, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was hooked from that tag line. I don't like super scary and this was only moderate creepy, so it was perfect. I think it would be a good read for any age without getting nightmares. I enjoyed the characters and Immy's tension with her parents felt very real. I liked her perspective of the dad's depression and guilt, and the stress of making friends in a new town. The ending threw me a little bit, it felt too cleanly wrapped up for what had happened, but overall I still really enjoyed the journey. ( )
  Linyarai | Apr 28, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a cute and spooky middle grade! I greatly enjoyed reading this and I'm very grateful to have been sent a copy. I look forward to seeing what else Allison Rushby writes in the future.
  managedbybooks | Apr 8, 2020 |

Allison Rushbyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cai, RovinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Notable Lists

Juvenile Fiction. Juvenile Literature. Mystery. HTML:

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Allison Rushby's book The Mulberry Tree was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,996,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible