A Trick of the Light by Susan Brooks

A Trick of the Light (edition 2018)

by Susan Brooks (Author)

Collections:Read and Own
Rating:***

A Trick of the Light by Susan Brooks

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked the story overall, but felt I related more with Meri as a character than with Wyatt. He came across as underdeveloped and immature. The way he berated himself for desiring Meri, even a little bit seemed more that of a teenager than a grown man which made him feel less real and contributed to my difficult time relating to him. The story was slow to read and seemed to pick up at about mid book while the action happens almost immediately. I enjoyed the characters of Meri's friends, but felt her father could have been more developed. No where do we even see presence of her mother, and I'd have liked to have seen her aside from passing mention. Some backstory on how and why her parents got together, even a momentary flashback would have been very welcome. ( )
  Aythn | Nov 8, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this book. The writing was active, humorous and paced well.
Most of the characters were well developed and realistic, for demons and immortals.
I found Wyatt, the male protagonist, to be more one dimensional than the other characters. Even though the book was told more from his POV, I learned more from the characters he interacted with.
His thoughts on the misogyny of sex and death in the bible conflicted with his penchant for judging women for their appearance and their past.
Meri, the female protagonist was complex and interesting. Her past as a demon could easily be an allegory for addiction or any experience that impacted a person negatively. Meri truly embraced the idea of redemption in this book.
Lamia, a secondary character, who had more page time than the heroine, was by far my favourite. She was quirky, unashamed of her nature, flirty, funny and really added that something extra to the book.
While the detailed explanation of blacksmithing was interesting, it could have been shortened to convey the importance of the chemistry and still made it’s point.
The religious aspect was neither here nor there for me, being an atheist, but it’s difficult to write a book about angels and demons without mentioning God and Satan.
Meri’s father was predictable but her mother’s identity, Lilith, was an interesting reveal, especially how the author explained her still being human, and alive.
Satan was interesting. I wish he had interacted with all the characters throughout the story.
I suspect something might be happening with Wyatt’s living sister, considering how many times he tried to call her to no avail. Perhaps we will find out more if there are future books. If so, am hoping Lamia gets a story told, and a happy ending. ( )
  Tina_Evans | Sep 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Trick of the Light by Susan Brooks turned out rather well. At first, I was a bit worried, because the hero was all "woe is me." As the story moved along, it really came together in both message and pacing. Yes, there was the obligatory lust at first sight, but it made sense in the context of the story. The characters acted much more realistically. They were attracted to each other and wanted to find out if it would go anywhere. They weren't immediately hopping into bed or hopelessly in love. They realized that real love takes time. The was one little bobble at the end that still leaves some questions, but I won't mention it, so I don't spoil it for others. ( )
  Antares1 | Aug 22, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Susan Brooks's book A Trick of the Light is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Literary Wanderlust LLC

2 editions of this book were published by Literary Wanderlust LLC.

Editions: 1942856164, 1942856172

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,583,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible