The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

The Silent Patient (edition 2019)

by Alex Michaelides (Author)

Member:memasmb
Title:The Silent Patient
Authors:Alex Michaelides (Author)
Info:Celadon Books (2019), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read, thriller

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Let this book be yet another reminder that hyped books are not my friend!

This book was at best, fine.
The characters are pretty annoying and its written in a way that essentially meant i had to listen to a dude whinge for 300 pages which is never a good thing.
I saw the twist coming a mile off despite the author doing his very best to include as many red herrings as physically possible. This meant that a lot of the plot was left open ended and all over the place.

Sorry, but this was definitely not for me! ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
Great book, and a killer twist at the end. Well done. ( )
  johnfishlock | Jun 10, 2019 |
The problem when people start talking about "a twist you won't see coming" in a novel, is that you can't help but imagine all the possible twists when you start reading it yourself. And then, if you have read many thrillers, yes, you will see it coming and probably from quite a long way off too. Sometimes this doesn't matter. The book may be engaging enough that you enjoy it, even enjoy the inevitability of what you know is coming.
Unfortunately, The Silent Patient wasn't that book for me. There just wasn't enough there to carry my interest through all those pages. The characters weren't interesting enough, for one thing. In the case of Alicia, I admit there's an intrinsic problem for the author in trying to make her interesting in the 'present', as he can't give us her point of view at all, but what about her diary entries before that? She seems to have no personality. Yes, there is a reason for this, too, but it's a writer's job to solve those kinds of problems. As for Theo, I can think of several other novels where a similar character is portrayed so much better. I just never connected with him at all and I think it is the author's intention that we do connect with him. The scenes in the care facility, where he engages with other staff, were just deadly dull to me.
I'm giving this novel 3 stars because it is well-written and cleverly plotted and I did still want to read it to the end to see exactly how it played out, but overall my enjoyment level was probably more like 2.5. ( )
  TwoBooksBlog | Jun 4, 2019 |
Quit at 20%. Couldn't get into it.
  pgchuis | May 20, 2019 |
I had waited over two months to get my copy of this from the library (extremely long waitlist!), and luckily, my wait for this highly hyped book was worth it. After a woman shoots her husband, she refuses to speak a word. A highly determined therapist attempts to get through to her, and secrets are revealed even through the silence.

This book had me turning pages so fast! This was such a suspenseful thriller, with twist after twist being revealed, and that final twist was incredible!

I'm always so happy when a much-hyped book does live up to the hype, and this book did not disappoint. ( )
  seasonsoflove | May 19, 2019 |
Meet the hottest-tipped debut novelists of 2019

The Silent Patient is narrated by Theo Faber, a psychotherapist determined to discover why Alicia Berenson, a famous artist accused of murdering her husband, has refused to speak since her husband’s death. The therapeutic setting was inspired by Michaelides’s own experience. “Therapy is very important to me and has been a major part of my life,” he says.

Running through the novel is the Greek myth of Alcestis, and Euripides’s play of the same name. The Alcestis theme is perhaps one of the reasons that The Silent Patient is finding such traction both among early readers and the tranche of movie executives who fought to option it. With its story of female sacrifice and the silencing of a woman post-trauma, it feels highly relevant in a post #MeToo world. “It’s about silence as a weapon,” Michaelides says. “And it was very clear in my head when I was writing the book that Alicia was surrounded by these men who were imprisoning her. Like Alcestis, Alicia is trapped and she’s denied a voice. It’s a lifetime of being made to think that she wasn’t worthy, she wasn’t good enough, and maybe that’s something that a lot of women [readers] have been responding to.”

The novel has already been optioned by Brad Pitt’s production company, Plan B, with Michaelides due to write the screenplay, a fitting circularity for a novelist who has spent the past 15 years working as a screenwriter.
added by VivienneR | editThe Guardian (Jan 1, 2019)

Alicia Berenson writes a diary as a release, an outlet - and to prove to her beloved husband that everything is fine. She can't bear the thought of worrying Gabriel, or causing him pain.
Until, late one evening, Alicia shoots Gabriel five times and then never speaks another word.
Forensic psychotherapist Theo Faber is convinced he can successfully treat Alicia, where all others have failed. Obsessed with investigating her crime, his discoveries suggest Alicia's silence goes far deeper than he first thought. And if she speaks, would he want to hear the truth?

"Alicia Berenson?s life is seemingly perfect. A famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer, she lives in a grand house with big windows overlooking a park in one of London?s most desirable areas. One evening her husband Gabriel returns home late from a fashion shoot, and Alicia shoots him five times in the face, and then never speaks another word. Alicia?s refusal to talk, or give any kind of explanation, turns a domestic tragedy into something far grander, a mystery that captures the public imagination and casts Alicia into notoriety. The price of her art skyrockets, and she, the silent patient, is hidden away from the tabloids and spotlight at the Grove, a secure forensic unit in North London. Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who has waited a long time for the opportunity to work with Alicia. His determination to get her to talk and unravel the mystery of why she shot her husband takes him down a twisting path into his own motivations?a search for the truth that threatens to consume him...."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible