The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

The Silent Patient (edition 2019)

by Alex Michaelides (Author)

Alicia Berenson's life is seemingly perfect. A famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer, she lives in a grand house with big windows overlooking a park in one of London's most desirable areas. One evening her husband Gabriel returns home late from a fashion shoot, and Alicia shoots him five times in the face, and then never speaks another word. Alicia's refusal to talk or give any kind of explanation turns a domestic tragedy into something far grander, a mystery that captures the public imagination and casts Alicia into notoriety. The price of her art skyrockets, and she, the silent patient, is hidden away from the spotlight of the tabloids at the Grove, a secure forensic unit in North London. Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who has waited a long time for the opportunity to work with Alicia. His search for the truth leads him down a terrifying path and threatens to consume him.… (more)
Member:jsgerlach
Title:The Silent Patient
Authors:Alex Michaelides (Author)
Info:Celadon Books (2019), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (Author)

I read this in just a handful of sittings because I had trouble putting this book down while I was reading it - I found the writing really engaging. Strangely though, when I wasn’t actively reading the book, I didn’t have much of a desire to pick it back up. As engrossing as the narrative voice was, there wasn’t much plot advancement to compel me to keep reading. Until the very end at least when it just all comes together. I knew this book would have a twist (because all books like this do), and this was one I completely did not see coming. Really enjoyable experience. ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Feb 13, 2020 |
Six years ago, Alicia Berenson was accused of shooting & killing her husband. She's not said a word since that day, and psychotherapist Theo Faber, newly employed by the center that Alicia resides in, takes up her case and is convinced that he can make her talk.

That's a short plot description, but it basically gives you the gist. This book has received a lot of hype in the past year, and I knew it was known for an infamous plot twist. The chapters are very short and the book is easy to either pick up & put down and resume again at a moment's notice, or race through the chapters all back-to-back. Either way, it's a fast read. The writing was decent (not overly impressive), but even though I was waiting for and trying to guess the twist that I knew was coming, it still took me by surprise. Not bad for a debut author. ( )
  indygo88 | Feb 13, 2020 |
The Short of It:

It’s very satisfying to pick up a buzzy book and have it meet your expectations.

The Rest of It:

*No Spoilers*

Alicia murdered her husband. Due to her unstable mental health at the time, she is admitted to The Grove, a mental health facility where she will live out her days. The thing about Alicia though, is that she is absolutely silent about what happened the night of her husband’s death. She has not uttered one word to anyone since she was discovered hovering over his body.

An artist by trade, Alicia is pegged as eccentric and difficult to work with. Her doctors have not had luck with her so when Dr. Theo Faber, a psychotherapist hears of her case, he can’t help but be intrigued. Could he possibly help Alicia and get her to talk? Does her previous body of work contain clues about that night?

The Silent Patient was a super-fun book to read. If you’ve paid any attention to the buzz, then you know it’s a book with a big twist. I have to tell you, knowing that a twist was coming did not ruin my enjoyment while reading. Quite the contrary. I was eager for it. However, I did figure it out moments before its revelation. Again, not disappointed by it. I picked it up and read it in a day and a half. Books like this one make reading so engaging because you simply have to talk to others once you turn that last page.

I am loving these types of books! Have you read it? If you comment do not include spoilers!

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | Feb 13, 2020 |
4.5 stars. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
A violent crime and a woman incarcerated who has remained silent for 6yrs. A psycho-therapist drawn to her case with a desire to be the one who finally gets through to her. A story of twists and turns, surprises and developments, and one of the best in this new era of psycho-thrillers! If you liked 'Gone Girl' or 'Woman in the Window' then you'll love the gripping, compelling, unfolding nightmare of 'The Silent Patient'
  DevilStateDan | Jan 26, 2020 |
Meet the hottest-tipped debut novelists of 2019

The Silent Patient is narrated by Theo Faber, a psychotherapist determined to discover why Alicia Berenson, a famous artist accused of murdering her husband, has refused to speak since her husband’s death. The therapeutic setting was inspired by Michaelides’s own experience. “Therapy is very important to me and has been a major part of my life,” he says.

Running through the novel is the Greek myth of Alcestis, and Euripides’s play of the same name. The Alcestis theme is perhaps one of the reasons that The Silent Patient is finding such traction both among early readers and the tranche of movie executives who fought to option it. With its story of female sacrifice and the silencing of a woman post-trauma, it feels highly relevant in a post #MeToo world. “It’s about silence as a weapon,” Michaelides says. “And it was very clear in my head when I was writing the book that Alicia was surrounded by these men who were imprisoning her. Like Alcestis, Alicia is trapped and she’s denied a voice. It’s a lifetime of being made to think that she wasn’t worthy, she wasn’t good enough, and maybe that’s something that a lot of women [readers] have been responding to.”

The novel has already been optioned by Brad Pitt’s production company, Plan B, with Michaelides due to write the screenplay, a fitting circularity for a novelist who has spent the past 15 years working as a screenwriter.
added by VivienneR | editThe Guardian (Jan 1, 2019)

But why does she not speak? -- Euripides, Alcestis
For my parents
I don't know why I'm writing this.

Alicia Berenson writes a diary as a release, an outlet - and to prove to her beloved husband that everything is fine. She can't bear the thought of worrying Gabriel, or causing him pain.
Until, late one evening, Alicia shoots Gabriel five times and then never speaks another word.
Forensic psychotherapist Theo Faber is convinced he can successfully treat Alicia, where all others have failed. Obsessed with investigating her crime, his discoveries suggest Alicia's silence goes far deeper than he first thought. And if she speaks, would he want to hear the truth?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,342,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible