Three Shoeboxes by Steven Manchester

Three Shoeboxes (edition 2018)

by Steven Manchester (Author)

441,664,912 (3.75)None
Member:Charlotte_Lynn
Title:Three Shoeboxes
Authors:Steven Manchester (Author)
Info:Story Plant (2018), 285 pages

No tags.

This is probably the first time where I didn't really like a book from Mr. Manchester. I am usually a fan of his work. There is so much life infused into the characters that makes the stories that much better. In fact, I have grown close to some of the characters that I have cried. Yet, I struggled to find myself connecting to Mac. The fact that he was struggling with PTSD is sad; which should have allowed me to get closer to him. However, I couldn't.

For this reason I found myself having a hard time reading this book. I would read only a chapter or two and have to stop. This stop and go method was not ideal. After finding myself finally getting a little more than a third of the way into the book, I had lost all interest in wanting to finish. I am really hoping that the next book is a hit with me again. ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 17, 2018 |
Steven Manchester has the talent to get right to your heart and soul. Three Shoeboxes tells the story of an amazing husband and father, Mac Anderson, who suddenly changes and becomes not so amazing. He is fighting with everyone including himself, lashing out at people for no reason, and seeing trouble where there isn’t any. I love that his wife doesn’t just throw in the towel and call it quits. She wants to work with him, wants to support him, and wants to continue loving him. Until she can’t. She has to make changes in their lives to protect herself and their children.

Three Shoeboxes had me in tears, full of hope and thankful for this families strength. Anytime PTSD is brought into a story it becomes a tough story. Steven Manchester has the heart, soul, and understanding to tell the story with gentle care and love. He tells the truth, doesn’t cover it up and make it pretty but yet he keeps in real. There are families that suffer from members that have PTSD every day and this story would give them the help, the support, and knowledge that there is help out.

I am adding Three Shoeboxes to my must re-read list. ( )
  Charlotte_Lynn | Jun 14, 2018 |
Rating: Five
Review:

"Three Shoeboxes" by Steven Manchester

My Thoughts...

This was quite a story about someone experiencing PTSD. It was quite a emotional read of how this author takes the reader through this experience of what this family endured through these panic attacks.

For it had not always been like this...Mac had a sweet wife Jen celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary... with three wonderful children...a perfect world until things quickly change and all hell breaks it all down...life changes so deeply for this family 'as a misunderstanding of something Mac finds at home on the counter and he [Mac] losses it and is charged with domestic assault.' Wow, what had happen to this 'ideal happy life they had once had? What will happen when Mac loses his parental rights? Will he be able to reunite his family? This is definitely one of those reads that you will see from this story one of 'love, sadness, determination, will, anger, hope, love and faith.' Now how will this all come out for Mac? To find out the answers to all of these questions and so much more you will have to pick up "Three Shoeboxes" to find out. Oh, I really liked how the reader is able to understand the title 'Three Shoeboxes' in the way it was so well presented by the end of this extraordinary story. After the read a reader will truly have a lot to ponder over long after the read. ( )
  arlenadean | Jun 12, 2018 |
Three Shoeboxes by Steven Manchester
Have read other works by the author and have totally enjoyed them so was happy to read a review copy.
This one starts out with Jen and Mac celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary one night where he has a lot of surprises for her and her for him.
Next day is his sons birthday but on the way home they witnessed a car crash but emergency vehicles had arrived to help them. The family also has 3 kids and they live an ideal family life.
Jen wants to go back to work as a journalist as the kids will all be in school in a few weeks time. She gets the job and Mac gets to spend time with his kids on the water.
Love the memories of going through NH as my husband and I have travelled the path there.
A misunderstanding of something Mac finds at home on the counter and he just losses it and is charged with domestic assault. He ends up in jail and then comits himself as he's also a drunk.
Jen holds her own secrets and how she holds the family together and feels the empty spot in her heart with him gone. The doctors are able to find out the real problem to Mac's problems and are able to control them with meds.
Now the hardest part-to get to visit with the kids... Such detailed descriptions of events and also medical parts that made me understand a lot more about the symptoms.
Couldn't understand why the title of the book is what it is til very end...the whole book was working up for them.
Moral of the story is to keep your faith, never give up.
Received this review copy from the author and this is my honest opinion. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 12, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible