Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Three Shoeboxes by Steven Manchester

Three Shoeboxes (edition 2018)

by Steven Manchester (Author)

661,815,902 (4.17)None
Member:Charlotte_Lynn
Title:Three Shoeboxes
Authors:Steven Manchester (Author)
Info:Story Plant (2018), 285 pages

Three Shoeboxes by Steven Manchester

Mackenzie Anderson, who goes by Mac, and his wife, Jen, feel that everything in their lives is perfect. They were on their way home from a wedding anniversary dinner, when they saw a serious accident. Mac stepped out of his car to help but then he heard some sirens.

The next day, he was talking to Jen and later she left the room and he suddenly was dizzy, and made for a chair, he was having trouble catching his breath. He could not figure out what was going on. He recovered and later tried to blow up a balloon for his son’s birthday and it happened again. He could not breathe and worried that he may being having a heart attack. That started a series of attacks. He did not know why he was having them and they were not possible to predict when they would happen. He was ashamed to find at the emergency room out that they were panic attacks. Then the nightmares began, he would wake up screaming. This began to dominate his life. He started losing his with his kids. He could not focus on anything that his wife was saying. He started spending less time at work. This problem was taking over his life and he did not know why. He starts to self -medicate with alcohol.

Trapped in a terrible vortex of frightening emotions and he ttried but could not get out. Reading about this situation, I wanted to reach into the book and help him. There were times that I could not stop reading. Mac was experiencing PTSD. He loved his family and they loved him, but he needed professional help to walk him back through his memories and deal with them. The writing is very convincing, and you really feel what Mac was going through. Having experienced PTSD, myself to a much smaller to degree, I am positive that he captured the experience accurately.

I highly recommended for those who have PTSD and their families

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, but that in no way influenced my review. My thoughts are my own. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jul 30, 2018 |
Every once in a while an author comes along who writes novels that are so powerfully compelling, poignant, and thought-provoking, that they pull at the heartstrings and stir the soul. For me, that author is Steven Manchester and his latest novel, Three Shoeboxes.

Three Shoeboxes is a poignant story about a man struggling with PTSD and the complicated dynamics of family relationships that will simply pull at your emotional heartstrings.

Author Steven Manchester weaves a richly descriptive and complex tale that follows Mac Anderson as a traumatic past event that he has repressed for nearly twenty years suddenly comes to the surface when he comes across an auto accident on his way home from celebrating the fifteenth wedding anniversary with his wife Jen. This repressed event triggers a frightening journey down the rabbit hole, and as Mac's world is suddenly turned upside down, the effects of continuous panic/anxiety attacks lead Mac to feeling broken, alone, depressed, and turning to alcohol that ultimately results in him losing his job as an advertising executive, and more importantly his family. Mac's change in behavior results in a charge of domestic abuse and a one-year restraining order. Mac's family also goes through the trauma of having their lives turned upside down, no one is the winner in this difficult situation. Desperate to get his life back, Mac checks himself into an intensive in-house detox rehab treatment center, and while the road is long and hard, he faces his PTSD and alcoholism diagnosis with the hope to reconnect with his three children: Jillian (13), Bella (8), and Brady (7). Mac's journey is filled with life lessons, animosity, unresolved dysfunctional family issues, regrets, acceptance, hope, and an emotional chance to renew the bonds of family. Three shoeboxes filled with hope and unfailing love for his three children leads Mac to a good place where he strives to gets his life back on track.

The reader will be easily captivated and drawn into Mac's realistic and heartwrenching journey. The author does a wonderful job of intertwining Mac's traumatic past with the difficulties that he faced throughout his journey. You can't help but get swept away and experience the full gamut of emotions as Mac and his family faces a crossroad in their lives as they struggle with an unresolved dysfunctional family dynamic due to PTSD, while considering the intense and difficult choices of how to deal with their current life issues and the unknown future for their family.

Three Shoeboxes is a powerful and compelling story written from the heart. It is a must read that will make you ponder about the effects of mental illness (PTSD), alcoholism, and your own family dynamic. This is the kind of story that will stir your soul, and resonate with you for a very long time.

RATING: 5 STARS

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Providence Book Promotions.

https://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2018/07/three-shoeboxes-by-steven-man... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Jul 19, 2018 |
This is probably the first time where I didn't really like a book from Mr. Manchester. I am usually a fan of his work. There is so much life infused into the characters that makes the stories that much better. In fact, I have grown close to some of the characters that I have cried. Yet, I struggled to find myself connecting to Mac. The fact that he was struggling with PTSD is sad; which should have allowed me to get closer to him. However, I couldn't.

For this reason I found myself having a hard time reading this book. I would read only a chapter or two and have to stop. This stop and go method was not ideal. After finding myself finally getting a little more than a third of the way into the book, I had lost all interest in wanting to finish. I am really hoping that the next book is a hit with me again. ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 17, 2018 |
Steven Manchester has the talent to get right to your heart and soul. Three Shoeboxes tells the story of an amazing husband and father, Mac Anderson, who suddenly changes and becomes not so amazing. He is fighting with everyone including himself, lashing out at people for no reason, and seeing trouble where there isn’t any. I love that his wife doesn’t just throw in the towel and call it quits. She wants to work with him, wants to support him, and wants to continue loving him. Until she can’t. She has to make changes in their lives to protect herself and their children.

Three Shoeboxes had me in tears, full of hope and thankful for this families strength. Anytime PTSD is brought into a story it becomes a tough story. Steven Manchester has the heart, soul, and understanding to tell the story with gentle care and love. He tells the truth, doesn’t cover it up and make it pretty but yet he keeps in real. There are families that suffer from members that have PTSD every day and this story would give them the help, the support, and knowledge that there is help out.

I am adding Three Shoeboxes to my must re-read list. ( )
  Charlotte_Lynn | Jun 14, 2018 |
Rating: Five
Review:

"Three Shoeboxes" by Steven Manchester

My Thoughts...

This was quite a story about someone experiencing PTSD. It was quite a emotional read of how this author takes the reader through this experience of what this family endured through these panic attacks.

For it had not always been like this...Mac had a sweet wife Jen celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary... with three wonderful children...a perfect world until things quickly change and all hell breaks it all down...life changes so deeply for this family 'as a misunderstanding of something Mac finds at home on the counter and he [Mac] losses it and is charged with domestic assault.' Wow, what had happen to this 'ideal happy life they had once had? What will happen when Mac loses his parental rights? Will he be able to reunite his family? This is definitely one of those reads that you will see from this story one of 'love, sadness, determination, will, anger, hope, love and faith.' Now how will this all come out for Mac? To find out the answers to all of these questions and so much more you will have to pick up "Three Shoeboxes" to find out. Oh, I really liked how the reader is able to understand the title 'Three Shoeboxes' in the way it was so well presented by the end of this extraordinary story. After the read a reader will truly have a lot to ponder over long after the read. ( )
  arlenadean | Jun 12, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,434,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible