Every Body has a Story

by Beverly Gologorsky

1611,315,951 (2)None
"As the Great Recession and the foreclosure crisis hit, four close friends who barely made it out of poverty in New York City's South Bronx, suddenly find themselves caught up in the economic maelstrom. Lena, Zack, Dory, and Stu must reconcile their troubled past with an uncertain future in Beverly Gologorsky's stunning new novel, a tapestry of working-class life in a world on the brink." -- back cover.… (more)

I received this book as part of my Haymarket Book Club subscription. I was excited by the description but didn't end up liking the book as much as I had hoped. I just never got into the story mainly because I found the characters and dialogue really unrealistic and not believable. The story was focused on two heterosexual couples and I found the men especially unrealistic. I just have never heard any men have discussions like these two characters had. When the dialogue doesn't match the characters, I find it very distracting. Not only was this an issue but the characters weren't developed very well and I was uncertain who they were.

Themes of this book include family, relationships, trust, poverty, work insecurity, and communication. ( )
  karlajstrand | Aug 15, 2018 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,089,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible