Your Closest Friend

by Karen Perry

One hot, humid night in London, Cara is caught up in a wave of terror and chaos. Until a hand reaches out - and a stranger pulls her to safety. Taking refuge with her unlikely rescuer, Cara shares more of herself with Amy than she ever has with anyone, including her husband. But after the hours of darkness are over, she can't remember exactly what secrets she revealed. Cara attempts to put it all behind her. But cracks begin to show in her life and marriage, and she starts to receive anonymous threats. As Cara's life begins to skid out of control, Amy reappears, offering to help. Amy is only person Cara can turn to, who knows her hidden side. Amy saved her that night. But what if the biggest threat to Cara is the stranger she's invited into her home?… (more)

This book didn't work out for me. I prefer more mystery to the story, you know is she crazy or nor not? However, knowing right from the start that Amy has a screw loose just made this reading experience pretty boring ESPECIALLY since Cara didn't seem to get the hints about it. The ending, the very last chapters, however, is the best part of the books. If the book had been better, more thrilling and less annoying would I have liked the book so much more. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Cara lives with husband Jeff and daughter Mabel. Cara unexpectedly gets caught in a terror attack but is saved by Amy. Cara however shouldn't have been where she was. From that point Amy moves into Cara's life and things aren't what they seem.

I enjoyed this book and it did hold my interest for the majority. The story is told by both Cara and Amy and is a dark tale of obsession and what a person will do to get what they want. My only niggle is that this has been done before in many ways and it just became a little predictable.

The story certainly held my interest and I did want to reach the end to see what was going to happen. I didn't see some of the story coming but the final showdown was predictable. The last few pages does throw in a final twist but again I've read something similar before.

Overall an average thriller which focuses on family life, lies, secrets and obsession with enough to keep the reader invested. Not the best thriller out there but enough for me to read this author again. ( )
  tina1969 | Jan 8, 2019 |
She shouldn’t have been there in the first place, Shoreditch, the part of London where the attack took place in which Cara was almost killed. It was this young girl, Amy, who saved her by pulling her into a store and then hiding with her for hours. Cara just left her lover when she met the killer, under the pressure of the events, she told Amy about her affair and the lost love of her husband. The events bring them close together and when Cara needs somebody to babysit her daughter, Amy moves in. What seems to be a close friendship, turns out to be something completely different and it won’t take too long until Cara doesn’t recognize her own life anymore and has to realize that she is in real danger.

Karen Perry, the pseudonym of Karen Gillece and Paul Perry, has chosen two quite different main characters for her sixth thriller: on the one hand, the down-to-earth successful radio maker Cara who supports her family and has established herself a picture book life – however, only when looked at from the outside. On the other hand, it is obvious from the beginning that Amy is suffering from hearing voices and that her extreme emotion leads her much more than a rational view of reality. Alternating their points of views gives the reader an advance which does not diminish the suspense.

You know exactly what is going to happen, yet, the question remains how far Amy is ready to go to attain her goal. Would she kill for it? Whom? How destructive is she actually or does she break down before something really bad happens? Something really bad is in the air – and then it happens.

I really liked Karen Perry’s style of writing which keeps you reading on because you want to know how this mess will finally be solved. Nevertheless, I was a bit disappointed by the protagonist Cara. At first, she seems to be quite clever and everything but easy to manipulate. But the more the plot advances, the more naive and even plainly stupid she becomes. This is a bit annoying because at a certain point, it is absolutely apparent who is behind it all, but she remains stubbornly ignorant. All in all, quite some entertaining thriller. ( )
  miss.mesmerized | Jun 22, 2018 |
It’s his eyes that grab my attention.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,305,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible