Boy Swallows Universe

Boy Swallows Universe

Brisbane, 1983: A lost father, a mute brother, a mum in jail, a heroin dealer for a stepfather and a notorious crim for a babysitter. It's not as if Eli's life isn't complicated enough already. He's just trying to follow his heart, learning what it takes to be a good man, but life just keeps throwing obstacles in the way - not least of which is Tytus Broz, legendary Brisbane drug dealer. But Eli's life is about to get a whole lot more serious. He's about to fall in love. And, oh yeah, he has to break into Boggo Road Gaol on Christmas Day, to save his mum.… (more)
Member:mumfordinfopro
Title:Boy Swallows Universe
Authors:
Info:

Work Information

Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton

English (29)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (31)
There were parts I liked but mostly this much-hyped book wasn’t for me. At times it felt like a comic book, at times it was nostalgic (which I didn’t mind) but too much of the story was unbelievable. I especially didn’t enjoy the red phone bits - what the hell was that all about? A good debut novel with some great writing, but a little too confusing for me. ( )
  MariaPFrino | Feb 4, 2022 |
This is a beautifully written book, which was essential for this to be an enjoyable read. Why? It's big. It feels like it's bigger than it needs to be. Even though there's always plenty happening, the core plot progresses slowly. It does snowball gradually, but there are a lot of digressions. It all adds up to the overall story but if the writing hadn't been so good, it would have been excessive.
I did enjoy this. I do think, however, that you need to be Australian to really get a lot of the content. It's always good to get an authentic Australian story, but overseas readers won't understand a lot of references. ( )
1 vote AngelaJMaher | Oct 25, 2021 |
Restarted 3 times. Good story. Great ending. ( )
  Tishyy | Oct 12, 2021 |
Boy Loves Book, Boy Swallows Universe - Full Review Here: https://hexdro.net/2020/04/05/boy-loves-book-boy-swallows-universe-by-trent-dalt...

This book consumed me in the best way writing can. I found myself reading Boy Swallows Universe every chance I got. Trent Dalton’s style is just so gorgeous and captivating. Whether it be during train rides, my lunch break, or even in the middle of university lectures, you could find me with my nose in the book – and that’s the highest praise I can give. So if you’re wondering if it’s worth the read… The answer is pretty clear; you should be wondering why you haven’t picked up your own copy yet.

The book focuses on Eli Bell, a boy growing up in a dysfunctional family. He has an absent father, a mute brother, a junkie mum and a heroin dealer for a stepdad. The story has a bit of everything. It’s a story about brotherhood, unlikely friendships, true love and heartbreak, with a hint of magic throughout.

You will follow Eli on the adventure of a lifetime when he has to come face to face with the drug dealers that tore his world apart, creating family with a father he doesn’t remember, and falling in love with the girl of his dreams. When recommending it to me, my friend described the book as beautiful, and it is. Boy Swallows Universe is beautiful the way a night sky is beautiful. It’s the literature equivalent of staring up at the stars on a clear night. It’s breath-taking, and the experience is surreal, but it’s also humbling ( )
  Hexdro | Sep 23, 2021 |
This is a genuine five-star read. The novel pulls you in from the beginning, you can feel the atmosphere as if you're in there with the characters. These characters don't feel like characters, they feel like friends, plucked straight from life.

Gritty, raw, with a touch of magical realism (maybe) - a perfect mix.

Giving this to everyone I know to have a read. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
Boy Swallows Universe is a first novel rich in adventure, description and plot.

Mark Twain famously said that truth is stranger than fiction, and the parts of Boy Swallows Universe that draw on Trent Dalton’s actual boyhood are as intriguing as the fictional plot involving drug czars, prison break-ins and prescient siblings.

The novel is seen through the 13-year-old eyes of Dalton’s alter ego, Eli Bell, as he navigates his way through Brisbane’s squalid 1980s housing commission suburbs, peopled by hardened criminals, junkies, Vietnamese gangs, and drug lords masquerading as bastions of society.

The earth-bound, kitchen-sink wretchedness, tinged with hope and love, is a solid, confident foundation for the novel.

Trent Daltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wemyss, StigNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor mama en papa.
Voor Joel, Ben en Jesse.
Je einde is een dood ornaatelfje.

A story of brotherhood, true love and the most unlikely of friendships, Boy Swallows Universe will be the most heartbreaking, joyous and exhilarating novel you will read all year.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,437,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible