Everything Is F*cked: A Book About Hope (The…

Everything Is F*cked: A Book About Hope (The Subtle Art of Not Giving a… (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Mark Manson (Author)

From the author of the international mega-bestseller The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck comes a counterintuitive guide to the problems of hope. We live in an interesting time. Materially, everything is the best it's ever been--we are freer, healthier and wealthier than any people in human history. Yet, somehow everything seems to be irreparably and horribly f*cked--the planet is warming, governments are failing, economies are collapsing, and everyone is perpetually offended on Twitter. At this moment in history, when we have access to technology, education and communication our ancestors couldn't even dream of, so many of us come back to an overriding feeling of hopelessness. What's going on? If anyone can put a name to our current malaise and help fix it, it's Mark Manson. In 2016, Manson published The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, a book that brilliantly gave shape to the ever-present, low-level hum of anxiety that permeates modern living. He showed us that technology had made it too easy to care about the wrong things, that our culture had convinced us that the world owed us something when it didn't--and worst of all, that our modern and maddening urge to always find happiness only served to make us unhappier. Instead, the "subtle art" of that title turned out to be a bold challenge: to choose your struggle; to narrow and focus and find the pain you want to sustain. The result was a book that became an international phenomenon, selling millions of copies worldwide while becoming the #1 bestseller in 13 different countries. Now, in Everthing Is F*cked, Manson turns his gaze from the inevitable flaws within each individual self to the endless calamities taking place in the world around us. Drawing from the pool of psychological research on these topics, as well as the timeless wisdom of philosophers such as Plato, Nietzsche, and Tom Waits, he dissects religion and politics and the uncomfortable ways they have come to resemble one another. He looks at our relationships with money, entertainment and the internet, and how too much of a good thing can psychologically eat us alive. He openly defies our definitions of faith, happiness, freedom--and even of hope itself. With his usual mix of erudition and where-the-f*ck-did-that-come-from humor, Manson takes us by the collar and challenges us to be more honest with ourselves and connected with the world in ways we probably haven't considered before. It's another counterintuitive romp through the pain in our hearts and the stress of our soul. One of the great modern writers has produced another book that will set the agenda for years to come.… (more)
Member:Rochel1986
Title:Everything Is F*cked: A Book About Hope (The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck (2 Book Series))
Authors:Mark Manson (Author)
Info:Harper (2019), 283 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Work Information

Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope by Mark Manson (2019)

The Savvy Convert's Guide to Choosing a Religion by Knock Knock (spyrunner)
    spyrunner: Both books have a large section on how to start your own religion.

I loved his first book. When my wife suggested I offer a theoretical suggestion for a book for a recent high school graduate, I chose his first book: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. I so looked forward to the sequel.

Mark does write in an in your face, antagonistic style. It's not everyone's cup of tea, which is why I never gave the book to my hypothetical high school graduation friend. Maybe that's why so many people gave this book so low ratings.

And I have to admit, a lot of the book was off the rails crazy (how to start a religion chapters come to mind). He also brought up some mind blowing ideas ... the Blue dot, the thinking and feeling brain sharing a car ride, and the 7 out of 10 rating. And I'm grateful for introducing Witold Pileki to me. We all heard of Auschwitz. Have you heard of the man who voluntarily got captured so he could spy on Auschwitz? He established a spy network within the concentration camp and later just escaped.

Like I said earlier, he's not everyone's cup of tea. But ya know, I'm don't like tea. ( )
  wellington299 | Feb 19, 2022 |
Everything is F*cked by Mark Manson was interesting in places and hard to follow overall but his point I think was this. One should not hope that one's situation will improve but rather should work to improve oneself. The author talks about the thinking brain and the feeling brain and states that of those parts of us it is the feeling brain that drives us. Manson cites Nietzsche, Kant and Plato among others. He thinks that religion is nothing but false hope. In the end he says that we should realize that we are not important. We should give up hope and then our life will have meaning. And the AI machines are going to take over anyway. ( )
  MMc009 | Jan 30, 2022 |
A book about hope. I started reading this six days after Russia started a war with Ukraine and yesterday was sending rockets against apartment buildings in its cities and killing children.
I underlined more in this book than I can every remember doing. I have to read it again in paperback so I can have a physical copy with my underlinings for future reading. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Dec 31, 2021 |
When I found out that Mark Manson was coming out with another book, I was very excited. After reading the book, I can say that I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed his other book, "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck." I appreciated how Manson's argument grew as the book progressed, making each point he described difficult to forget. Also, his argument was extremely valid and very relatable. I was nervous when I initially heard about the book's topic because of our current political and social climate. However, Manson stuck to the fundamentals of every day life and explained how they effect the big picture. I recommend this book to anyone that enjoyed Manson's first book or to anyone looking for a short read that will offer a new perspective on life and the goal of holding onto hope in this crazy world. ( )
  kathrynwithak7 | Nov 24, 2021 |
I didn't agree with most of the things he was saying, and I didn't enjoy the way he said them, which made this book a slog for me to get through. ( )
  crimsonraider | Nov 23, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,408,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible