Lu by Jason Reynolds

Lu (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Jason Reynolds

Member:calibrary1
Title:Lu
Authors:Jason Reynolds
Info:New York : Atheneum Books for Young Readers, [2018]
Collections:Fall 2018

Lu (Track) by Jason Reynolds (2018)

Lu knows he can lead Ghost, Patina, Sunny, and the team to victory at the championships, but it might not be as easy as it seems. Suddenly, there are hurdles in Lu's way--literally and not-so-literally--and Lu needs to figure out, fast, what winning the gold really means. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Apr 12, 2019 |
I've read some of the other books in this series, and while it's not necessary to read them in a certain order (each works fairly well as a stand-alone), it does make for a more rounded read to have the background information from the books before diving into this one.

Lu is co-captain of the track team, the Defenders, and as so, at constant rub with the captain. But he takes everything more or less in stride. He also is an albino, which has caused problems in the past but has nothing to do with track. Add his diamond earrings and gold chains, and he isn't the shabbiest kid on the team. Plus, he runs well. At least, until it's time for him to run hurdles. Fear holds him back, but soon he learns that the physical hurdles on the track aren't the only thing he's going to have to learn to get past.

This is an easy read centered as much around Lu's family and social life as it is around track. There aren't any huge moments, but rather, a line of difficulties that force him to grow as a person and realign what the real important things are in his life. He does run track, and while his heart is in running, this story focuses more on the other aspects of Lu's life. None of which are earth-shattering, but problems which readers can relate to.

Lu has some fears to overcome, but learns that the people around him have their own hurdles to jump too. Some have made it, others are still struggling, and others will never get past them. It's a strong life lesson, but one that is wrapped up in an entertaining and, at times, thoughtful read.

Lu's family sits strong in these pages, one that is more supportive than the families in the books before. His mother especially holds lots of character, and adds a nice flair of fun and humor to the mix. The relationship with the parents is an inspiration while not leaving the realm of reality. It makes for a read, kids will easily see themselves in. And the message, while clear, is subtle in its own way. As to the end of the book—the last twist holds a surprise which allows those warm fuzzy feelings to remain long after the book is closed.

This is a wonderful addition to a lovely series.

I received a complimentary copy and enjoyed it so much that I wanted to leave my honest thoughts. ( )
  tdrecker | Dec 24, 2018 |
4.5*

Jason Reynolds tweeted that Lu was the best book in the series and I said, "I don't know Jason" - in my head of course - "Sunny and Patina didn't reach the level of Ghost" but I have to honestly say that Lu runs a close second. I feel that we get a closer and more in-depth look at Lu, his family, and Coach and this story was a perfect way to end their story. ( )
  DMPrice | Nov 24, 2018 |
I am The man. The guy. The kid. The one. The only. The Lu.

"Lu knows he can lead Ghost, Patina, Sunny, and the team to victory at the championships, but it might not be as easy as it seems. Suddenly, there are hurdles in Lu's way--literally and not-so-literally--and Lu needs to figure out, fast, what winning the gold really means"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,589,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible