The Bride Test by Helen Hoang

The Bride Test (edition 2019)

by Helen Hoang (Author)

Member:readbybrit
Title:The Bride Test
Authors:Helen Hoang (Author)
Info:Berkley (2019), 320 pages
Collections:Unreleased, Your library
Tags:read in 2019, romance, female protagonist, female author, poc protagonist, poc, autism, vietnamese, arc, may 2019 release, aoc, 4 stars, cover love, ownvoices, giveaway, asian, adult, dual pov

The Bride Test by Helen Hoang

» I received an ARC of this from a giveaway

I have such mixed feelings on what to rate this book. 95% of the book I was 100% sure it was going to be a 4 star read but the ending was so unsatisfying. I thiiiiink that leaves me at 3.75/5.

I did not read The Kiss Quotient prior even though this is technically a sequel, it didn't seem like a huge priority. I was just spoiled for a little of what happened in book one but it was a romance so I really don't consider myself spoiled. Prior to this I was toying with the idea of delving into adult romance but I hadn't done it just yet so when I won this in a giveaway, I was pleasantly surprised.

I really enjoyed Khai and Esme's romance. Everything felt genuine and real, albeit it did feel a bit rushed at certain points from Esme's perspective. I absolutely adored Quan and Khai's relationship and I want 800 more scenes with the both of them together. Both Esme and Khai's individual subplots were very fulfilling however I do wish we had more scenes of Esme and her schoolwork. I do wish the ending of every single aspect of the story was more fleshed out. Everything was going perfectly until the last 30 pages when everything jumped into hyperspeed.

All of my issues aside, I really really really enjoyed this and I'm definitely going to go back and read The Kiss Quotient and I'm crossing my fingers that book three is about Quan because I adored him. ( )
  readbybrit | Apr 15, 2019 |
I was very impressed by the Bride Test, I think it was a wonderfully well written book that drew me in and kept me emotionally involved throughout. I'd been looking forward to reading this since being blown away by the Kiss Quotient, the previous book in the series. As a librarian and POC lover of romantic fiction, I'm always on the lookout for new diverse and inclusive romance, and Helen Hoang definitely delivered. The story revolves around Khai, a Vietnamese American with Asperger's and Esme, a young Vietnamese single mother. Esme is brought to America by Khai's mother for a trial run as his fiance. I immediately fell in love with Esme' and Khai. Esme's humor really resonated with me and I loved her determination and strength. I felt deeply for her and really found myself pulling for her throughout the book. Hoang created characters that the reader could really relate to and I think you can she that her own life experiences and that of her family greatly influences her writing and gives it a real personal feeling. The book brought out a wide range of emotions me. There were laugh out load moments, and also moments where I found myself crying with the characters. Overall I think this was an amazing book, and I can't wait to read the next installment. ( )
  constancej.529 | Apr 2, 2019 |
After enjoying Hoang's The Kissing Quotient last year, I knew her next book would be on my 2019 reading list. It won't be released till May, but Edelweiss+ kindly sent me an ARC. The Bride Test is just as sweet as Hoang's earlier work, and slightly more believable. Esme and Khai are adorable together, and Hoang does a great job of giving their perspectives equal weight and showing them work through their communication obstacles. ( )
  tamarindel | Mar 2, 2019 |
A special thank you to Edelweiss and Penguin for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Bride Test is a spin off of sorts from The Kiss Quotient, Hoang's smash debut. This book is about Khai, who is Michael's cousin. He has no emotions when it comes to love or grief; he is literal, he likes when things balance (he is an accountant), and is easily irritated with others, especially when they touch his things. He thinks he is defective when in fact he is not, he is on the spectrum. His overbearing mother, Cô Ng, decides it is time for him to get married and takes matters into her own hands. She returns to Vietnam in order to find him the perfect bride.

Esme Tran is a mixed-race, single mother that lives in the slums of Ho Chi Minh City. She has always felt she doesn't belong. When Cô Ng offers her a chance to come to America to seduce her son, she accepts. This could not only be the break her little family needs, but she could also track down her biological father.

Seducing Khai proves to be incredibly difficult—instead of making Khai fall in love with her, she is falling head-over-heals for him. With her time almost up, and with Khai convinced he is unable to love, Esme feels she has failed.

But there is more than one way to love.

I found this book less provocative than The Kiss Quotient because there was more build up and tension and I certainly don't mean this as a criticism. It was more about the journey of falling in love, learning one's likes, dislikes, boundaries, and an exploration in the discovery of pleasure and consent. Esme and Khai's journey is a learning experience.

This story is smart, sassy, sexy, exactly what you would expect from a romance book. But on the flip side, Khai's struggles are real and genuine. Hoang really shines here and brings forward her voice and experience also having Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Hoang's character development is incredible. She pens characters that are layered, complex, and flawed, yet are incredibly endearing. I adored Esme and learned by reading the Author's Note that she is loosely-based on Hoang's own mother who was also an uneducated immigrant (I encourage you to read this, it is informative and touching). There is also humour sprinkled throughout—I especially enjoyed Quân and the dynamic between him and his brother.

Helen Hoang is a gift. She brings to life characters that are not considered mainstream, but their stories need to be told and are just as valuable, enlightening, and entertaining. ( )
1 vote GirlWellRead | Feb 18, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,222,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible