The Hidden Witch by Molly Knox Ostertag

The Hidden Witch

by Molly Knox Ostertag

When Aster's non-magical friend Charlie finds herself the target of a curse, Aster and his unconventional talent for witchery must find the source of the curse before more people get hurt.

This is the second book in The Witch Boy series and I liked it even more than the first book. The illustration and story are well done and easy to follow. I also really love the themes of magic, family, friendship, and learning to be yourself.

Aster is allowed to learn witchcraft but not everyone is happy with this choice. Charlie is having trouble with a new girl at school who sets a curse on her. Aster and his family try to help Charlie. Aster is also called on to help with his corrupted great-uncle as well.

Overall this is one of those amazing middle grade fantasy graphic novels that is wonderful for both kids and adults. I love the characters, the story, and the bright illustrations. I would recommend to those who enjoy graphic novels similar to Zita the Spacegirl, Mighty Ben, Cleopatra in Space, HiLo, and Amule ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 28, 2019 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

Again, the theme of this book is about being true to yourself and accepting others. Charlie loves her normal life but she’s starting to see things changing socially at school. Aster is embracing his witchy side but his family is still hesitant. Sedge, after the events of the previous book, really wants to go to a “normal school” like Charlie does and take a step back from shifting and magic. Ariel is isolated and unaware there are others like her. Throughout the story it’s great to see all these characters grow and find acceptance from one another and with themselves.

We also really get to understand Mikasi’s struggles and where he was coming from. This quote I found applies to a couple characters in the book, Mikasi being one of them: “When people treat you like a monster, you start to act like one.” One of the other themes I noticed in the book too (and one that I feel is relevant to society as a whole) is the whole “this is the way it’s always been” mindset that keeps people from accepting change or a challenge.

Another great quote: “The good feelings I get from being a witch…those are usually stronger than the bad feelings I get from what other people think about me.”

The end made me tear up unexpectedly and I hope Ostertag keeps writing in this world!

Also I noticed night scenes have a black page background and days are white. I thought this was a clever touch and a good way to show the passing of time! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Feb 23, 2019 |
When people treat you like a monster, you start to act like one" (pg 195).

Great. I think it's possibly better than the first. Although it's a lot darker, those dark demon eyes were creeping me out. ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ ( )
  DestDest | Dec 31, 2018 |
While falling a little short of the first book, this is a pretty strong follow-up that establishes an appealing Scooby gang for ongoing adventures, which I will gladly read. ( )
  villemezbrown | Dec 5, 2018 |
A little young for me (which is ok! I took a chance!). This is a followup to The Witch Boy, in which Aster is finally training as a witch, and his friend Charlie meets the new girl in town. Though Charlie does her best to befriend the new girl, she’s wary and has a dangerous secret, which of course intersects with Aster’s witchcraft and his attempt to help his corrupted ancestor as part of his witch training. It’s charming and well-done and almost everyone is incredibly well-intentioned unless they’re acting from a place of deep hurt. ( )
1 vote rivkat | Nov 26, 2018 |
Healing spells fall into several categories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible