Recipes from a Provencal Kitchen

by Michel Biehn

"I have always loved good food, just like my father. When my parents were married in Arles, my Grandmother Athalie took up pen and ink and wrote down a collection of her own mother's best recipes in a little blue notebook. I have that notebook in front of me now." Even as a child Michel Biehn was fascinated by Provence and its traditional cuisine. In this splendid volume, he takes us on a culinary journey through the changing seasons in this enchanting region of France, revealing the unique Provenal spirit of celebration and simplicity. Consisting largely of fresh fruits, vegetables, and the bounty of the seas cooked with olive oil and natural herbs and spices, these delicious recipes appeal to today's interest in healthy, flavorful food, tempered nonetheless with a selection of irresistible indulgences. Each easy-to-follow recipe is accompanied by a wine suggestion as well as the story of the particular dish's role in Provenal tradition-- the tangy pumpkin soup which heralds the arrival of autumn, winter's delicious "daubes, or stews, the freshly picked baby vegetables of spring, and summer's savory ratatouille and bouillabaisse. Michel Biehn collaborated closely with photographer Bernard Touillon to create the settings and recipes featured in the stunning color photographs, all of which were taken using only natural lighting in order to capture the authentic atmosphere and colors of Provence and the spirit of its cuisine. More than a cookbook, this lavishly illustrated introduction to Provence and its unique lifestyle will make an exceptional and treasured gift for cooking enthusiasts, gourmets, travelers, and anyone who loves the good things in life.… (more)

this book was love at first sight. Gorgeous photographs by Bernard Touillon ( )
  overthemoon | Jul 23, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,897,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible