Gardenlust: A Botanical Tour of the…

Gardenlust: A Botanical Tour of the World’s Best New Gardens

by Christopher Woods

A pictorial tour of the world's most innovative new gardens includes the Tree Museum in Rapperswil, Switzerland; the Aloe Farm in Hartbeespoort, South Africa; Ichigaya Forest in Tokyo, Japan; and Mordecai Children's Garden in Denver, Colorado "Intrepid plant expert Christopher Woods set out on a global quest in search of inspired new gardens, and presents fifty of the best here. With wit and humor, he describes the most arresting features of public parks in exotic locations like Dubai, mission-redefining botanic gardens in Chile and Australia, and the most enviable details of lavish private estates and gemlike city yards. Throughout, he reveals the fascinating people, plants, and stories that make these gardens so lust-worthy. As inspiring as it is insightful, Gardenlust takes readers on a luscious tour of six continents that is sure to spark wanderlust."--Dust jacket… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a beautiful book that I have picked up countless times this year. Lush, thick pages. Beautiful and informative. There is an element of creative visualization that is possible with this book. Many of the "best gardens" are for admiring. But it is inspirational to think about what little elements might fit your own property. ( )
  deldevries | Nov 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a gorgeous book with breathtaking photography. The gardens within are really new, really exciting. Of course, the first thing I did was search for any gardens that might be near me or at least in my country, but sadly, I found not a single Canadian garden, and none from the central 4/5ths of the USA either, leaving most of this continent unrepresented. Granted, the strict criterion that only gardens created in the 21st century are included in this book limits the candidates, but I would have hoped that the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Garden in Vancouver or some of the innovative and thoughtful creations of members of the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects would have made the cut, if only to give a nod to Canada's existence. There are many, many gardens from other parts of the world though, which is really a testament to the author's wide-ranging interest and inclusiveness. They are amazing in their diversity and the photography invites the armchair traveller to embark on a world tour. ( )
  muumi | Jul 30, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A lovely and unique addition to my coffee table books, filled with interesting and beautiful modern gardens from around the world. I have spent hours reading through the text and enjoying the photographs of the diverse gardens, some on private land I might never have known about otherwise and will likely never see in person. This is a book to be savored and revisited. Highly recommended for those who love to garden, and love to travel. ( )
  readaholic12 | Apr 30, 2019 |
Mr. Woods would perhaps be better served with a TV series than a book. He is attempting to convey his emotional responses to aesthetic choices in garden design, and to me it evoke the more-or-less rapturous style of nature reporting. I have visited some of the gardens mentioned here and find the reality much better than the text in the same way that a visit to a museum is better than a description of a painting. The best art writing goes far more into technique and antecedents for painting, sculpture and architecture than this book does with garden design.

I received a review copy of "Gardenlust: A Botanical Tour of the World’s Best New Gardens" by Christopher Woods (Timber Press) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jan 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
GARDENLUST: A BOTANICAL TOUR OF THE WORLD’S BEST NEW GARDENS is written by Christopher Woods.
The book is published by Timber Press, Portland, Oregon.
I obtained this book through Library Thing’s Early Review Program. Thank You.
GARDENLUST is very interesting, very beautiful, and very inspiring. Christopher Woods shares his travels to new gardens in exotic locations on six continents.
GARDENLUST is oversized, very heavy, 414 pages. It is definitely a ‘coffee table book’ which leads to enjoyable and focused browsing. The photographs are beautiful with detailed captions. The garden descriptions are detailed and informative.
Access points are very helpful and include a title page, a lovely dedication, an introduction, table of contents, source notes, acknowledgements, photography credits and index.
I love the chapter presentations. The design really speaks to me. It is quite stunning. The paper is very high-quality with rich colors and a plant motif. I keep wanting to touch the pages and follow the design with my fingers.
The introduction is very personal and interesting. “I ask the reader to trust that my qualifications permit me to share my opinions.”
The reader travels to fifty different gardens in North America, Central America and the Caribbean, South America, Europe, Africa and the Arabian Peninsula, India and SE Asia, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Each section (or chapter) is set up with the beautiful plant motif wallpaper-like pages. Each garden is detailed beginning with its name, location, designer, area dimensions and date(s) of construction.
I liked the source notes and used the index frequently. I liked every section/chapter, but I was most intrigued by the gardens in Australia and New Zealand.
My favorite garden was Landschaftspark in Duisburg-Nord, Germany. It is a lush park in the ruins of a former iron smelting plant. I also liked the title, GARDENLUST, very much. ( )
  diana.hauser | Dec 12, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Christopher Woods's book Gardenlust is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,512,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible