Freefall: A Novel by Jessica Barry

Freefall: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Jessica Barry (Author)

A MOST ANTICIPATED BOOK OF 2019: Entertainment Weekly | USA Today | Parade | Cosmopolitan | New York Post | PopSugar | Goodreads "Jessica Barry's Freefall is not only an enthralling, impossible-to-put down mystery that keeps the pages flying, but it is also a gorgeous, resonant tale of a mother's unconditional love for her daughter. I could not recommend this more!"    -- Aimee Molloy, New York Times bestselling author of The Perfect Mother "An absorbing treat." - PEOPLE Magazine "The corporate malfeasance and shady conspiracies of John Grisham, with the frank feminism of two rounded female protagonists." -- Entertainment Weekly They say your daughter is dead. You know they're wrong. When her fiancé's private plane crashes in the Colorado Rockies, everyone assumes Allison Carpenter is dead. But Maggie, Allison's mother back home in Owl Creek, Maine, refuses to believe them. Maggie knows her daughter - or she used to, anyway. For the past two years, the two women have been estranged, and while Maggie doesn't know anything about Ally's life now - not even why she was on a private plane to begin with - she still believes in her girl's strength, and in their love for each other. As Allison struggles across the treacherous mountain wilderness, Maggie embarks on a desperate search for answers about the world Allison has been involved in. What was she running from? And can Maggie uncover the truth in time to save her? Told from the perspectives of a mother and daughter separated by distance but united by an unbreakable bond, Freefall is a heart-stopping, propulsive thriller about two tenacious women overcoming unimaginable obstacles to protect themselves and the ones they love.  … (more)
Member:Dyrfinna
Title:Freefall: A Novel
Authors:Jessica Barry (Author)
Info:Harper (2019), 458 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Freefall by Jessica Barry

English (20)  German (1)  All languages (21)
Fast paced. Loved the alternating perspectives of Allison and Maggie and especially loved the short chapters and how quickly the author moved between the two.
A woman and her husband die in a plane crash and the woman’s mom struggles to deal with her grief over the loss of her daughter. But then you quickly find out that the woman isn’t dead and there’s something suspicious about the crash. ( )
  JRlibrary | May 26, 2021 |
FREEFALL starts off with a bang (crash!), and the pace of the alternating narratives - those of Ally and her mother, Maggie - kept me compulsively turning the pages (or swiping left, to be technical about it) until late into the night. Ally survives a plane crash, and the pilot, whose face is unrecognizable after the accident, is killed. Ally is on the run from something, or someone, is hiding big secrets, and has an almost supernatural will to survive. We are drawn into the anguish her mother, Maggie, goes through when she learns of the accident, even knowing, as the reader, that Ally has survived. But the author does a great job of developing the foundation of a mother's love for her child in the chapters told from Maggie's POV, and teasing out the conflict that tore their relationship apart. The climactic ending makes getting to it worth the time one spends in the pages of this great debut! I received a digital review copy from the publisher, HarperCollins, which is always appreciated. ( )
  KellyWellRead | Dec 17, 2020 |
This debut fell into my hands and kept calling to me. I assumed it would just be another mother-daughter, tragic tale and I just didn't want to read at first...After I finally opened to the first page, I read until the last page was in the light of dawn.
How did a woman with a dark past end up on a private plane and hiking through the woods? Where is she headed and who is she really running from?
One of the most fast-paced, suspenseful and sharply plotted thrillers I have read in a long time, I dare you not to read in one day. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
A little slow at the beginning for me, but it caught on after page 150 or so. Written in an interesting way in which there are two timelines within one chapter. ( )
  johnfishlock | Mar 30, 2020 |

Barry, Jessicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huber, HillaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vacker, KarissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,499,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible