That Ain't Witchcraft (InCryptid Book…

That Ain't Witchcraft (InCryptid Book 8) (edition 2019)

by Seanan McGuire (Author)

Member:keeneam
Title:That Ain't Witchcraft (InCryptid Book 8)
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:DAW (2019), 445 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:romance, Paranormal, read 2019

That Ain't Witchcraft by Seanan McGuire

19 (2) 2019 (4) Book 8 (1) Crossroads (2) cryptozoology (1) ebook (3) family (1) fantasy (13) fiction (5) galley (1) InCryptid (6) magic (3) magic users (1) Maine (2) Mary (1) monsters (1) no isbn (1) novella (1) paper (1) paranormal romance (1) read 2019 (2) Sam (2) science fiction (1) series (2) sff (3) to-read (2) unread (1) urban (2) urban fantasy (11) watchlist (1)

The Price children are cursed to live interesting lives. Antimony is on the run with a family she has made for herself. She has to join forces with Leonard from the Covenant to combat the bigger evil of the crossroads. Hopefully he will learn something from it... ( )
  bgknighton | May 7, 2019 |
Lovely as usual. Nice conclusion for Antimony - though I wonder just who was setting her up, because her entire story has been leading her to this moment. The luck? But that came late in the sequence...hmm. So Annie's arc leads to a major change for everyone, bigger than Verity's getting them back into war with the Covenant...it will be interesting seeing reactions over the next few books. And the next book is Sarah! Yay! Nice novella, too - again, Sarah, yay! And the answer to the question Annie couldn't ask Mary. Nice. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 7, 2019 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

Annie (Antimony) is now officially my favorite Price of this generation and That Ain’t Witchcraft is officially my favorite of the series. Now you understand why I kept up the binge read, though it wasn’t why I started it and I wouldn’t have continued if the books showed the type of writing patterns that get too obvious. This is a five star book, something I use rarely, because it hit all my sweet spots. Please forgive me if this review has a little too much gush.

To get them out of the way, I’ll mention a few things to know.

This is an immediate follower to the previous one (Tricks for Free), though not in the time passes sense. However, there are quite a few quick catch-up passages in the first two chapters, allowing this to be an entry point into the series as well. If you’ve read the previous books recently, as I have, this is unnecessary recap. It’s flush with the tone of the series so wasn’t a problem except in that I was waiting to see what this story would be. Turns out it’s about getting a break, relaxing in hiding, and washing the dust of many roads off their feet… I bet you can guess how well that turns out.

I do think Cylia was cheated in the last. She burned a ton of good luck to get them to where they are in the middle of a nightmarish confrontation. Seems she deserves a refund.

In case you didn’t notice, especially when reading in eBook, there is a bonus novella at the end. It’s a beautiful story and well worth the read, but it was a little startling to have the main book end at around 80% because I didn’t realize the novella was there. It’s going to be a long year because while the book has a satisfying ending with a lovely epilogue, it didn’t go as far into what comes next as I thought it would (probably influenced by the amount remaining), and I want to know more.

Oh, and not really important or surprising, but I loved the pop (nerd?) culture references, and even better how they blended into the story and became relevant. Sam’s nature makes me love him, but he’s been a bit isolated so didn’t bring out this side of Annie. This is why a community is better than isolation. She’s able to express all sides of her, and that’s her true strength. She brings people together into a chosen family, each with their own strengths and weaknesses so they work better together than in isolation.

This book takes a sideways look at the whole personhood theme I read the series for. The emphasis is more on working against evil, but the underlying theme is still present with an interesting development that may bear fruit sometime in the future. There is one jarring note when Annie sets the first human she killed (two books ago) as somehow more significant than the non-humans despite being equally dangerous to all sapient beings that aren’t human…and any humans related to a Price. It’s a passing comment so might not mean what it seems to say. The novella squashes that as a theme quite thoroughly, BTW. Thank you, Shelby.

Annie has become everything I click with beyond the one stumble on personhood trumps species. I don’t know how much was her growing on me, or just her growing, but that’s how she became my favorite. She’s determined to give people a chance, to love them and accept them into her chosen family as long as they’re willing to do the same. Those who are not willing she’ll defend her family against to the end of time, all the while trying to show the willful doubters the errors of their ways.

I love how Annie understands Fern and why friends are so important to the sylph. Her relationship struggles with Sam are poignant and true to the kinds of adaptations necessary to become a couple, though they face more challenges than most because of Annie’s self-appointed position as savior of the world. It’s a family tradition, sure, but she owns it. She always tries to give her friends an out, to let them choose not to follow her down the path to almost certain destruction. But when they disagree, as you have to know they will, she accepts their help and is happy for it. Her ability to recognize not just the magic/cryptid situation, but the life conflicts is definitely one of her strengths.

I hope this gives you some sense of why I loved this story, though it’s hard to talk around all the potential spoilers. Not even counting the fun geek references and word play, this is a wonderful book with harsh moments as well as lighter ones. It’s the kind of tale that seeps into your bones and makes you face the hard questions while entertaining you enough that you don’t want it to end…even for the treat of a bonus novella.

P.S. I received this book from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review…though our copy is on its way because not talking about those fun moments with my husband is killing me. ( )
  MarFisk | Mar 8, 2019 |
I gave it 3.5 stars

I really miss the Aeslin Mice. Can we have them back yet?

One of the things I really enjoy about this series is how well developed the characters are. I feel like I really know them and look forward to seeing them come out ahead of their troubles. We meet a new character in THAT AIN'T WITCHCRAFT that I feel will now be a big part of Annie's life and I look forward to seeing what he will bring to the story in the future.

THAT AIN'T WITCHCRAFT is full of information on the crossroads. If you wanted to know more about it and why it works the way it does, this is the book that you will find the answers to all those burning questions.

The romance in THAT AIN'T WITCHCRAFT didn't do anything for me. I love Sam as a person and character—although he was a bit whiny in this installment if I am being honest—, but I can't say I totally feel the romance between him and Annie.

I wouldn't be totally sad if the next book was about one of the other Price kids. It's not that I don't enjoy Antimony because I do, but I would love to get back to one of the other siblings as we get some information in THAT AIN'T WITCHCRAFT that made me think of them and miss them.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Mar 7, 2019 |
This is the eighth book in the InCryptid series and features Antimony Price again. I have mentioned I am not a huge fan of Antimony and that continues. However I am a huge fan of the Crossroads and this book deals with the Crossroads a lot. This was a solid addition to the series. It’s a fast-paced read with a great story, wonderful characters, lots of action, and some fun cryptozoology.

Annie and friends have finally found a place to rest. Cylia’s luck has led them to a rental house in New Gravesend, Maine. Everyone is waiting for the bad luck portion of Cylia’s luck to get them though...things just seem too perfect. That’s when another sorcerer shows up, the Crossroads decides it wants its end of the bargain fulfilled, and Leonard Cunningham (of the Covenant) finds Antimony. Yep, everything is a mess and it’s up to Annie to lead her friends in surviving it.

I continue to love the characters in this book. For some reason Annie remains my least favorite of the bunch. I love Sam, Fern, and Cylia and enjoyed the new sorcerer who joins the story. I really enjoyed the interactions between the characters and how they have become their own weird type of family unit.

The book is fast-paced and involves action, mystery, cryptozoology, and magic. Most of the story deals with Annie trying to deliver on her side of the Crossroads bargain she made in the last book.

I absolutely loved the Crossroads storyline, this recurring theme throughout this series has always fascinated me and this book delivers some interesting info around the Crossroads.

The book ends at a good spot and I am guessing we will see at least one more Antimony book in this series. I am hoping soon we will get back to Verity or Alex or even other Prince family members. There is a lot of humor and banter in these books as well and that makes them a lot of fun to read.

There is a bonus novella in here too, a short story that talks about Sarah and some Gorgons. I had already read this somewhere so I started to read it and then remembered I had already read it. It’s a good story and fills in some things about Alex, Sarah, and the Gorgon clan they live near.

Overall this was another spectacular read by McGuire. This book balances out wonderful characters, a great story, action, mystery, fantasy, and magic. I would highly recommend both this series and the October Daye series to those who enjoy urban fantasy. This series is a lot more light-hearted but both are very well done. I personally enjoy the October Daye series more because of all the folklore and mythology in it. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 21, 2019 |
For Whitney.

Make a wish and count to ten;
I swear you'll make it home again.

"Antimony Price has never done well without a support system. As the youngest of her generation, she has always been able to depend on her parents, siblings, and cousins to help her out when she's in a pinch--until now. After fleeing from the Covenant of St. George, she's found herself in debt to the crossroads and running for her life. No family. No mice. No way out. Lucky for her, she's always been resourceful, and she's been gathering allies as she travels: Sam, furi trapeze artist turned boyfriend; Cylia, jink roller derby captain and designated driver; Fern, sylph friend, confidant, and maker of breakfasts; even Mary, ghost babysitter to the Price family. Annie's actually starting to feel like they might be able to figure things out--which is probably why things start going wrong again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,632,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible