For the Duke's Eyes Only by Lenora Bell

For the Duke's Eyes Only

by Lenora Bell

194765,664 (3.67)None

Spies and archaeologists? Especially a female archaeologist named Indy? Yes, please! :)

For the Duke's Eyes Only was a really fun read. I really enjoyed the BFFs-as-children-turned-enemies-turned-professional-rivals aspect of the story; the prologue where the two of them made their first major archaeological find was absolutely adorable...at least it was, until it wasn't. Even when they aren't getting along--especially when they aren't getting along?--Indy and Raven have amazing chemistry together. I loved that Indy was one of the first people to (fictionally, of course...) advance the theory that the pharaoh Hatshepsut was really a woman, and the fact that her life's ambition was to find Cleopatra's tomb? The cherry on top!

The mystery of the disappearing Egyptian artifacts was intriguing--I especially liked that the Rosetta Stone was one of them. The resolution of that part of the plot was a bit fantastical, but still entertaining. I mean, spies and archaeologists. Throw in the romance and really, that's all I need.

For the Duke's Eyes Only is the second book in Ms. Bell's School for Dukes series (the first is Indy's brother's story) but would work just fine as a standalone. The next ( One Fine Duke ) is Mina's--Raven's mentor's niece's--story; who had a very minor role here. It looks to be just as much fun, though!

Rating: 4 stars / B+

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book ( )
  beckymmoe | Sep 29, 2018 |
*May Contain Spolers*

For The Duke’s Eyes Only is the second book in the latest series by Lenora Bell. Here we have a story that features a second chance romance, some adventure, secrets and danger and some laughs. I will admit that I was a bit nervous in reading this book here. I really wanted to like this a ton, and I will admit I did get a kick out of this story in many ways. But unfortunately it wasn’t a five star read like I was hoping for….but does that mean it was a bad book? HELL NO…it was REALLY good, just a couple things that brought the rating down a notch.

Our story begins with our heroine, India Rochester, digging in the ground with her friend Daniel, who is also her betrothed. They are the best of friends, looking for treasures, plans on having adventures around the world together and finding lost treasure and artifacts of all kinds. But then Daniel receives word that his father has been killed and a traitor to the country and must go to a special school in Scotland. At first Daniel and India write to each other for a while but then Daniel betrays India in the worst of ways, closing off her heart to him completely and now its been fifteen years since they were children playing and running free.

Lady India, is a Archaeologist and very passionate about her career. She has traveled all over on her digs and adventures and is planning a big one set for Egypt. And she is more than ready. But while in London, she poses as a man and infiltrates a male secret society for ancient artificats since women are forbidden to be part of it. And while out exploring, she stumbles across what is supposed to be the Rosetta Stone…only she knows that its a fake and Daniel of all people find her and now his boss wants her to accompany him on a mission to France to find the real one which has been stolen.

Daniel has been working as a spy for many years, ever since his father’s death and being claimed a traitor, he knew his father was set up and wanted to clear his name. So he went through a brutal training when he was young, which forced him to give up everything and everyone he ever cared about including Indy. He has never stopped loving her, but he has to keep an emotional distance, because working as a spy….emotion can be the death of you. But he can’t tell what he does for a living, but he has to keep Indy out of danger and tries to but he also understands her more than anyone else does. He understands her passion and zest. Will they find the theif of the stone….and will they find their happy ever after despite the past mistakes made?

I simply adored this book quite a bit, it was a delight in many ways. The first beginning scene, you truly feel the connection that Indy and Daniel have with each other even as children. They both have the same passion for knowledge and ancient artifacts and have their own dreams of their version of their future. But the life gets in the ways and they become enemies over the years. And now they will have to work together to solve a great mystery and bring a criminal to justice and hopefully prevent a war between England and France.

The bantering between the couple was simply fantastic, and I had a blast with these two. They were so entertaining and I loved how quick witted they both are and they really understand each other in certain ways that even they don’t even fully realize. Daniel wants to protect Indy because he knows the dangers of this type of work….he almost died a year before from this work and is just trying to prove himself to his boss so he can be out in the field again. But Indy is determined to get this mission done, even though she doesn’t know everything that is really going on. She is kept in the dark at times so I understood why she could be a bit ….DRAMATIC….alright they are both dramatic in different ways. I expected this since we do see some dramatics in the first book “What A Difference A Duke Makes” –book one of the School For Dukes series. I did feel that Indy could be a bit naive at times and just wanted to go head first into this mission without thinking things through. But she has such a interesting personality that fascinates the reader that surprisingly this element didn’t bother me so BRAVO to Lenora Bell to creating a heroine that I normally don’t care for and found myself wanting to be friends with this independent lady who is unconventional and true to herself.

I had no problems with the hero, I could see things from his point of view and why he acts the way he does. We don’t see what he goes through in his brutal training that he received, but I can just imagine how bad it must have been. And we also see what a close bond he has with his CO…who lost his family because of the job so we see that he doesn’t want to lose Indy because of his choice to clear his father’s name and do something bigger than himself…to make a difference and make the world a bit safer. He sacrfices quite a bit and I know that he may seem overbearing at times, but you also see that he does it out of concern for Indy. He has seen quite a bit evil in the world so I can see why the fear does get to him at times.

The flow of the story was a bit slow at times especially in the middle, but I can guarantee that the beginning and ending are very fast paced but at times the pace slows and so I had to keep with it at times. I am not sure if it was due to a bit of frustration with some of antics by Indy or if the plot just slows a bit. I also found that there are some unresolved issues in this book like for example View Spoiler »

Overall I found For The Duke’s Eyes Only to be a laugh out loud, curl your toes and excite your senses love tale….it has adventure, wit, intrigue and some smexy times to sigh over….PURE DELIGHT!! ( )
  addictofromance | Sep 25, 2018 |
For the Duke's Eyes Only is a fun read though I have to put this in the pile of books that is supposed to be a historical but could take place in current times. India, or Indy, is an archeologist while Daniel, Duke of Ravenwood, or Raven, is a spy. They were childhood sweethearts who were torn apart by Raven's profession. Raven wanted to protect Indy, but she is unaware of his job and thinks he is just a rake.
We meet Indy when she sneaks into a men's meeting in order to take a peek at the Rosetta Stone which has been loaned to them - I'm not sure exactly why. An artifact is stolen, and Indy and Raven must team up for its recovery. There's Russians, French mobsters, frauds, and all sorts of feelings scattered on their way. And of course, lots of sex.
I'm sure lots of readers will enjoy this, but I have to admit I struggled with it a bit. Indy is a feminist who can wield a dagger, and Raven is an 'enlightened male' with spy gadgets; I prefer my historicals much more accurate to the time period. I also don't really like a quest where the investigation doesn't mean much because they stumble across the solution in the end by accident. I'd rather they have to work for their happy ending. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Sep 24, 2018 |
STOP! THIEF! Somebody has stolen the Rosetta Stone in this wonderfully written book that is a takeoff on James Bond (thus the title) and Indiana Jones (thus the heroine’s name and the antiquities adventure). The book is well plotted and excellently written – with a real surprise of a plot twist at the end. I loved the characters and would really like to meet Lady Indy.

India and Daniel were betrothed as children and they grew up knowing that they would marry. That was perfectly okay with them because they loved each other. They roamed their neighboring estates together every day unearthing treasures and they dreamed of the day when they would be grown, married and exploring for antiquities in other parts of the world.

Then, one day while they were out exploring, their world came to an end. India’s mother came for them and wouldn’t explain why – she only rushed them home. As they arrived, they noticed a strange coach sitting in the drive. Daniel was rushed into the coach and it sped away. His father had been murdered in France and was being accused of treason. At just twelve years old, Daniel was the new duke, the family was in scandal, and they were moved to a new home.

My heart broke for some of the choices that Daniel was forced to make in his life. He loved his Indy and he had to break her heart and make her hate him – all to keep her safe. He had to become a spy and track down the real traitor so he could clear his family name. He took on a persona that was not him at all, but it served him well in his spy role.

To me, the real villain in the story was Sir Baldwin, he wasn’t meant to be, but that is how I read him. He took a young boy and put him through cruel training to rip all of his emotions out of him so he could be a spy. Supposedly the decisions were all Daniels, but Daniel was much, much, much too young to be making those kinds of life-altering decisions. What he really needed was love and guidance – a father figure.

India has learned never to trust her heart to anyone because the one and only person she loved took hers and ground it under his heel and he’s become everything she despises in a person. She’s also super intelligent and has become strong, resourceful and independent. She’s made more antiquarian discoveries that all of the men at the all-male Society of Antiquaries put together and yet they won’t let her join. She chafes at that and determines to attend a meeting dressed as a man. Well, what she really wants is to see the Rosetta Stone because she needs to decipher a map in order to find Cleopatra’s tomb.

Daniel discovers India at the meeting – and she realizes that the Rosetta Stone is a fake. They both end up on a quest to recover the real stone – and maybe their lost love for each other. It is such a fun and adventurous read that I couldn’t put it down from start to finish!

Please check out my reviews at:
Blog: https://flippinpages.blog/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/flippinpages...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FlippinPagesRev
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarbBookReview

"I requested and received this e-book at no cost to me and volunteered to read it; my review is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher." ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Sep 17, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,802,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible