dismiss

For the Duke's Eyes Only by Lenora Bell

For the Duke's Eyes Only

by Lenora Bell

Series: School for Dukes (2)

If adventure has a name...it must be Lady India Rochester. The intrepid archaeologist possesses a sharp blade and an even sharper knack for uncovering history's forgotten women. Unfortunately, she has one annoying weakness: the dangerously handsome Duke of Ravenwood. Former best friend. Current enemy. And the man who dared to break her heart. Daniel Bonds, the Duke of Ravenwood, is a thrill-seeking antiquities hunter who only plays by one rule: Never fall in love. He's in it for the fortune and glory. At least that's what he wants the world to think. He's sworn to hide his tangled web of secrets, especially from the one woman he cares about and will protect at any cost. But when a priceless relic is stolen from the British Museum, the rivals must align forces. Racing to recover the stolen antiquity and avert an international disaster? All in a day's work. Avoiding their buried feelings? More and more impossible. For love is about to become the greatest treasure of all. The grand adventure begins...now!… (more)

Spies and archaeologists? Especially a female archaeologist named Indy? Yes, please! :)

For the Duke's Eyes Only was a really fun read. I really enjoyed the BFFs-as-children-turned-enemies-turned-professional-rivals aspect of the story; the prologue where the two of them made their first major archaeological find was absolutely adorable...at least it was, until it wasn't. Even when they aren't getting along--especially when they aren't getting along?--Indy and Raven have amazing chemistry together. I loved that Indy was one of the first people to (fictionally, of course...) advance the theory that the pharaoh Hatshepsut was really a woman, and the fact that her life's ambition was to find Cleopatra's tomb? The cherry on top!

The mystery of the disappearing Egyptian artifacts was intriguing--I especially liked that the Rosetta Stone was one of them. The resolution of that part of the plot was a bit fantastical, but still entertaining. I mean, spies and archaeologists. Throw in the romance and really, that's all I need.

For the Duke's Eyes Only is the second book in Ms. Bell's School for Dukes series (the first is Indy's brother's story) but would work just fine as a standalone. The next ( One Fine Duke ) is Mina's--Raven's mentor's niece's--story; who had a very minor role here. It looks to be just as much fun, though!

Rating: 4 stars / B+

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book ( )
  beckymmoe | Sep 29, 2018 |
For the Duke's Eyes Only is a fun read though I have to put this in the pile of books that is supposed to be a historical but could take place in current times. India, or Indy, is an archeologist while Daniel, Duke of Ravenwood, or Raven, is a spy. They were childhood sweethearts who were torn apart by Raven's profession. Raven wanted to protect Indy, but she is unaware of his job and thinks he is just a rake.
We meet Indy when she sneaks into a men's meeting in order to take a peek at the Rosetta Stone which has been loaned to them - I'm not sure exactly why. An artifact is stolen, and Indy and Raven must team up for its recovery. There's Russians, French mobsters, frauds, and all sorts of feelings scattered on their way. And of course, lots of sex.
I'm sure lots of readers will enjoy this, but I have to admit I struggled with it a bit. Indy is a feminist who can wield a dagger, and Raven is an 'enlightened male' with spy gadgets; I prefer my historicals much more accurate to the time period. I also don't really like a quest where the investigation doesn't mean much because they stumble across the solution in the end by accident. I'd rather they have to work for their happy ending. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Sep 24, 2018 |
STOP! THIEF! Somebody has stolen the Rosetta Stone in this wonderfully written book that is a takeoff on James Bond (thus the title) and Indiana Jones (thus the heroine’s name and the antiquities adventure). The book is well plotted and excellently written – with a real surprise of a plot twist at the end. I loved the characters and would really like to meet Lady Indy.

India and Daniel were betrothed as children and they grew up knowing that they would marry. That was perfectly okay with them because they loved each other. They roamed their neighboring estates together every day unearthing treasures and they dreamed of the day when they would be grown, married and exploring for antiquities in other parts of the world.

Then, one day while they were out exploring, their world came to an end. India’s mother came for them and wouldn’t explain why – she only rushed them home. As they arrived, they noticed a strange coach sitting in the drive. Daniel was rushed into the coach and it sped away. His father had been murdered in France and was being accused of treason. At just twelve years old, Daniel was the new duke, the family was in scandal, and they were moved to a new home.

My heart broke for some of the choices that Daniel was forced to make in his life. He loved his Indy and he had to break her heart and make her hate him – all to keep her safe. He had to become a spy and track down the real traitor so he could clear his family name. He took on a persona that was not him at all, but it served him well in his spy role.

To me, the real villain in the story was Sir Baldwin, he wasn’t meant to be, but that is how I read him. He took a young boy and put him through cruel training to rip all of his emotions out of him so he could be a spy. Supposedly the decisions were all Daniels, but Daniel was much, much, much too young to be making those kinds of life-altering decisions. What he really needed was love and guidance – a father figure.

India has learned never to trust her heart to anyone because the one and only person she loved took hers and ground it under his heel and he’s become everything she despises in a person. She’s also super intelligent and has become strong, resourceful and independent. She’s made more antiquarian discoveries that all of the men at the all-male Society of Antiquaries put together and yet they won’t let her join. She chafes at that and determines to attend a meeting dressed as a man. Well, what she really wants is to see the Rosetta Stone because she needs to decipher a map in order to find Cleopatra’s tomb.

Daniel discovers India at the meeting – and she realizes that the Rosetta Stone is a fake. They both end up on a quest to recover the real stone – and maybe their lost love for each other. It is such a fun and adventurous read that I couldn’t put it down from start to finish!

Please check out my reviews at:
Blog: https://flippinpages.blog/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/flippinpages...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FlippinPagesRev
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarbBookReview

"I requested and received this e-book at no cost to me and volunteered to read it; my review is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher." ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Sep 17, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,682,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible