Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Daisy Jones & the Six (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Member:Simone2
Title:Daisy Jones & the Six
Authors:Taylor Jenkins Reid
Info:New York : Ballantine Books, [2019]
Collections:2019
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Music, Rock band, Addiction

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (2019)

I did not even attempt to read this in physical copy based on others reviews/recommendations. I am really glad I chose to listen to the audiobook! I could see right from the start how reading this would be harder to connect with the story. The points of views change so often it was hard to get into the groove of this right away. Once it started though, I really was invested in the story. I really like the full cast of narrators as it also helps follow the story easier.

This is a story that is hard to describe or at least in a way to portray my feelings around the story. Yes, it is following a band but it was so much more. It was told in a way that just ended up working in the end. It kept my interest the whole time. It was not your typical rock band story. I highly recommend it.

Overall, I loved this. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Apr 21, 2019 |
I was a little worried about the hype surrounding this book as this was seriously a case of FOMO for me. I kept seeing the cover everywhere and I just had to read it, especially because it’s a story about a band!

And what a ride it was.

The narrative takes a while to get used to as it’s in the form of edited interviews. But I soon realized it’s like reading magazine interviews (Rolling Stone perhaps? – to be honest it’s been ages since I’ve read music magazines!) and the general idea is a “Behind The Band” story set in the 1970s.

The Six were a band of well, six people, two of whom are brothers. Billy Dunne is the “leader” of the band, but not really, as the band is supposed to be a democracy. But come on…

“If the rest of the world was silver, Daisy was gold.”

Daisy Jones is an up and coming singer. She’s enigmatic and wild. And absolutely beautiful.

A producer puts them together to make a record and the Six, now Daisy Jones & The Six, go from tiny clubs to topping the charts.

Daisy Jones & The Six is an enticing read. It takes a while to sink into the dialogue-only narrative but when you get used to it, what a ball of a time you’ll have. You’ll feel like you’re hanging out with the band as they relive their best (and worst) moments.

I felt that the dialogue format could be a bit limiting in terms of creating a more complete immersion into the 70s.

And really, at the end of it all, I was wanting more. More specifically, I was disappointed because these were not songs I could actually listen to! How I wish that the Daisy Jones playlist on Spotify were actual songs from The Six and not a compilation of 70s music, much as I enjoyed the songs on it! I guess I’ll just have to wait for the miniseries! ( )
  RealLifeReading | Apr 20, 2019 |
Come on a wild ride with a rock and roll band as they explore their stardom. This story is told in narrative format where each character puts the experience in their own words. I really enjoyed this about the book. This is a story full of love, hate and regrets. This book was everything I hoped it would be! ( )
  BookLove80 | Apr 17, 2019 |
I loved this book. I've always loved music and particularly 60's and 70's rock music, and I love to read, so how could I go wrong with this one? The book is written as a series of extensive interviews that have been conducted in the present day about a rock band that had its hey day in the 1970's. The interviewer in the story presents very different perspectives of each of the members of the band and various people that were working with them on their way to fame in the late 70's. This book delves right into the magic and the grit of the 70's music scene. It's all there - sex and drugs and rock and roll, but told in such way using the interview technique, that technique is extremely effective in placing the reader into that scene. I learned a lot about the music industry and what it takes to make a hit record right from the songwriting through to the release of an album. These are unforgettable and real characters!. Ms. Jenkins-Reid has written one heck of a book here. It's raw, emotional, complex and incredibly detailed. I was enthralled from the very beginning. Highly recommended. ( )
  Romonko | Apr 14, 2019 |
The Six are a six-piece band who are on the cusp of fame. They've worked hard and they've got an image and a solid soft-rock sound. Daisy Jones is the neglected wild-child who wants to sing but is being stymied by her label. When it is suggested that The Six use a female vocalist on a track Daisy is used but when a Rolling Stone journalist suggests that Daisy should become part of the band, six become seven and lives change.
Lots of reviews mention the fact that The Six seems to be loosely based on stories about Fleetwood Mac and there's definitely that creative and sexual tension vibe throughout but I was happier reading it as straight fiction. Obviously because it's set in the 1970s there is a lot of free love and drugs but there's also a strong narrative about two musicians strongly attracted to each other but one knowing what is the better future and one taking longer to realise. Reid's writing is very accessible and, as with previous books, appears like a slightly superior bonkbuster yet there is still that slightly more interesting note. None of the characters are particularly likeable but the writing is strong and the plot linear. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Apr 11, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,130,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible