Daisy Jones and The Six: Read the hit novel…

Daisy Jones and The Six: Read the hit novel everyone's talking about (edition 2019)

by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Author)

"Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go-Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it's the rock and roll she loves most. By the time she's twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things. Another band getting noticed is The Six, led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she's pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road. Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend. The making of that legend is chronicled in this riveting and unforgettable novel, written as an oral history of one of the biggest bands of the seventies. Taylor Jenkins Reid is a talented writer who takes her work to a new level with Daisy Jones & The Six, brilliantly capturing a place and time in an utterly distinctive voice"--… (more)
Member:stevepugh
Title:Daisy Jones and The Six: Read the hit novel everyone's talking about
Authors:Taylor Jenkins Reid (Author)
Info:Cornerstone Digital (2019), Edition: 01, 335 pages
Tags:!ebook

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

‘Daisy Jones and the Six’ takes me back to the 70’s during the psychedelic rock era of Fleetwood Mac and Elton John, amongst others. The story is mostly about Daisy Jones, the independent, tough minded, bangle wearing, talented singer and songwriter, who one day collaborates with Billy Dunne, the front man for the wildly popular rock band the Six. When they get on stage to sing a duet together, the entire arena goes wild, and Daisy earns a place as a standing vocalist in the band. While Billy is a recovering alcoholic, who strives to choose the path of sobriety with wife and family, he finds himself irresistibly attracted to Daisy. Meanwhile, Daisy is sexually linked with several men, and she consistently travels with pills in her pocket, where she consumes them like candy at whim. I think that this story is most interesting when Daisy and Billy enter into a love/hate relationship where some of the personalities reach out through the text. I recommend this book as an enthralling, fast-paced read, as it expresses what it might have been like to perform as an entertainer in the 70’s. ( )
  haymaai | Jan 18, 2020 |
On the heels of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Taylor Jenkins Reid has another blockbuster best-seller in Daisy Jones and the Six. Told in documentary interview style, Daisy Jones is a period piece about rock and roll music in the 1960s and 70s. The pages fly by with short, first-hand accounts from the band members of The Six and a variety of other players including boyfriends, wives, managers, etc. They piece together the rise to fame of the band, the torrid relationship--professional and personal--between lead singer Billy Dunne and volatile singer Daisy Jones, and the band’s ultimate break down. This is a good book that could have been great; the style and content grow a bit wearisome about ¾ of the way through. If Reid had mixed in some other mediums--newspaper clippings, diary entries, reviews--it may have helped, but Daisy Jones is still a fun and quick read. ( )
  Hccpsk | Jan 16, 2020 |
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a very highly recommended account of sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll via the history and breakup of a legendary fictional 70's rock band. This one is a winner.

Daisy Jones, the daughter of a famous artist and a French model, grew up in LA in the late 1960's. At fourteen she started hanging out at the famous clubs on the Sunset Strip and drinking and doing drugs followed. Her friend, disco singer Simone, is the only one trying to look out for her. Daisy is a free spirited "it" girl who is first noticed for her looks, but soon has her voice capturing the attention of those with influence and she is signed with Runner Records.

Billy Dunne and his brother Graham started the band that eventually grew and took off to become The Six. Billy is the song writer and charismatic front man for the band and has artistic control over the group. On their first tour, Billy went wild and nearly ruined his marriage to Camila, who was pregnant with their first child. After the tour he went to rehab and his overwhelming goal beyond making it big with The Six, is to stay sober and faithful to Camila and their family.

After they have one hit where Daisy sings with Billy on one of his songs, Runner Records decides that Billy and Daisy need to work together. While they are both dynamic on their own, when they sing together they are extraordinary, electric, and transcendent. Billy doesn't want Daisy as part of his band, but they end up working together writing the songs on the album that produced some of the biggest hits in the seventies. No one knew the story behind the band and the split that ended it all - until now.

Daisy Jones & The Six is written like a documentary novel, an oral history, with quotes from the band members, Billy, Daisy, Camila, and Simone. All the characters are written with unique voices in their comments so you can tell who is talking even if you didn't note their name. While reading you can't help but envision the video in your mind, flipping between comments from the different people involved in Daisy Jones & The Six. This is part of what makes the book so amazing. You will easily believe this was a real band and real members are being interviewed. You will be surprised once you learn who is conducting the interviews and asking the questions.

The plot unfolds through the oral history interviews, starting with their beginnings up to their rise to fame. Reid definitely sets her story in the time and place of the late sixties to the late seventies. The clashes, struggles, and power of Billy and Daisy working together, writing the music, is captured perfectly. This really is a riveting and unforgettable novel; my attention was captured right at the start and held fast to the end. Remarkably, at the end of the book Reid has written all the lyrics for the songs. Need I mention that the writing is amazing? Well, it is an incredibly well-written book and captured my attention from beginning to end. I simple could not read it fast enough as I was desperate to learn what happened next.

(When I first read the synopsis for Taylor Jenkins Reid's Daisy Jones & The Six, I immediately tried to get a review copy as I knew it would be a novel I would love. I never did get the advanced reading copy, but I was right to try as this is an amazing novel. Now I need to find time to read Reid's The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.)

http://www.shetreadssoftly.com/2020/01/daisy-jones-six.html ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Jan 11, 2020 |
Written in a "rockumentary" style, this book tells the story of 70's rock band Daisy Jones & the Six -- their rise to fame and their eventual decline. If you didn't know better, you'd swear they were a real band. It's written that well and that convincingly, complete with song lyrics at the end of the book.

I'd seen a lot of hype about this book, and it was rare to see a bad review. And although Taylor Jenkins Reid seems to have made quite a name for herself recently with this and her previous novel (though she's written quite a few others previously), this was my first experience with her writing. And I was not let down. The rockumentary style worked. I've heard this is fabulous on audio, and I regret that I wasn't able to read it that way, but regardless, the printed version was extremely readable and immediately sucks you in. And it's all in there: the rock & roll, the drugs, the sex, the tension between band members. It really is hard to believe that this was not a real band of the 70's and I found myself totally immersed, wanting to actually hear all these songs that were talked about throughout the story...the stories behind the writing, the music style and the changes made to make each one sound exactly right. This was such a unique and compulsively readable book. It's maybe not for everyone, but certainly an enjoyable reading experience for me. ( )
  indygo88 | Dec 23, 2019 |
It's hard to clear my head enough to write how I feel about this book. I was so surprised how hard I loved it. There is only one way to love this book, and it's to love it hard. I laughed when I turned the final page and read the author's note- Taylor Jenkins Red also authored the 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I had to laugh because I was surprised at how much I loved that book when I read it, so had I gone into this realizing that- I would never have even doubted this book. Instead I went into it like- why is everyone talking about this book? And then I practically never put it down. I need to immediately go read everything Taylor Jenkins Reid has ever put on paper. ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
To Bernard and Sally Hanes, an honest love story if ever there was one
Daisy Jones was born in 1951 and grew up in the Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles, California.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,654,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible