Daisy Jones & The Six: A Novel by Taylor…

Daisy Jones & The Six: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Author)

"Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go-Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it's the rock and roll she loves most. By the time she's twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things. Another band getting noticed is The Six, led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she's pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road. Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend. The making of that legend is chronicled in this riveting and unforgettable novel, written as an oral history of one of the biggest bands of the seventies. Taylor Jenkins Reid is a talented writer who takes her work to a new level with Daisy Jones & The Six, brilliantly capturing a place and time in an utterly distinctive voice"--… (more)
Member:scottsdalebookgirl
Title:Daisy Jones & The Six: A Novel
Authors:Taylor Jenkins Reid (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2019), Edition: Later Printing, 368 pages

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I was surprised to find that this wasn't a real band, the story was so well written I believed it was true. I had doubts about the writing style at first since a lot of other reviews didn't like it, but I actually didn't mind the whole thing being in interview style. I found the first half of the book was really fast paced, but the second half slowed down and I was less interested. Still finished the whole thing ina day though. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
1970’s drug sex and rock and roll scene loosely based on Stevie Nicks and Flletwood Mac. Written as a long extended interview with the principals of the band and their retainers. ( )
  bblum | Feb 15, 2020 |
1. legacy, somewhat unique way of telling this story.
3, not much plot
4, great character development
3. Readability
4, it's made a lot of lists so far but I don't think it has won any awards.
Rating 3.6
Review It took me awhile to get into the book. This book is set in my time period but I never was into music or rockstars as far as idolizing them and I don't read memoirs about them. This is set up as if it could be a true interview of this rock group from the seventies. I can say that I liked the last part of the book the best but you'll have to read it to find out why. I did think of Stevie Nicks as Daisy Jones. Not sure why, maybe the description of the voice. That being said, I am not enamored with lives of sex and drugs.

I like the quote on page 214 that ends with "...but loving somebody isn't perfection." And I like the quote on 296, "If you're narcissistic enough to believe that the universe conspires for and against you--which we all are, deep down--then you can convince yourself you're getting signs about anything and everything." ( )
  Kristelh | Feb 8, 2020 |
Daisy Jones & The Six is written in an interview format, and it is a realistic look at sex, drugs, and rock and roll in the 70s. Daisy is a young, beautiful girl who has a lovely voice - but everything comes easy for her. The Six is a band led by Billy Dunne, and they are successful on their own, but when Daisy joins them - they skyrocket to the top of the charts.
Daisy and Billy are the main characters in this story, and the tension between them is felt throughout the novel. Billy is married to Camila, and they have 3 children. Billy struggles with addiction, but wants to be the best he can be for Camila and the girls, but Daisy tempts him. The band breaks up, but until now, no one knew why.
This story is told years after the band's success, but it is told as the characters remember, from their perspective, the years of their formation and rise to the top.
I loved the ending of the book, and the surprise that was revealed. It is a poignant, well told story.
I listened to this as an audio book - and I highly recommend that format!
#DaisyJonesandtheSix #TaylorJenkinsReid ( )
  rmarcin | Feb 6, 2020 |
4.5 stars. Although I did not think the subject matter would interest me, because of the great reviews I thought I would give this book a try. I am glad that I did. What a delightful read! I also really enjoyed the unique format: the entire novel told in small pieces of interviews with various characters, which was very creative. ( )
  ML923 | Feb 4, 2020 |
To Bernard and Sally Hanes, an honest love story if ever there was one
Daisy Jones was born in 1951 and grew up in the Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles, California.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,345,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible