What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How…

What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even… (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Marshall Goldsmith (Author)

What's holding you back? Your hard work is paying off, you are doing well--but there is something standing between you and the next level of achievement. Perhaps one small flaw--a behavior you barely even recognize--is the only thing that's keeping you from where you want to be. Here, executive coach Goldsmith discusses not only the key beliefs of successful leaders, but also the behaviors that hold them back. He addresses the fundamental problems that often come with success, and offers ways to attack them. He outlines twenty habits commonly found in the corporate environment and provides a systematic approach to helping you achieve a positive change in behavior.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:JGKingsley
Title:What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
Authors:Marshall Goldsmith (Author)
Info:Hachette Books (2007), Edition: Revised ed., 256 pages

Work Information

What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful by Marshall Goldsmith (2007)

I listened to this book in audio format in my car on my way to and from work. I do not remember where I picked up the recommendation for this title. #readingforsuccess
The title implies that getting through a success plateau requires doing something different than what you have been doing. I was surprised that that book was entirely based around interpersonal relationships. It makes me wonder how people with such bad interpersonal habits got to the level of business leadership the author works with. It tells me I really don't understand how business hiring and promotions actually work.
In his description I recognized some of the people I have disliked working with and for so far in my career. I will have to listen a second time to try and determine my own bad habits. I was disappointed that his info is really only useful after receiving 360 degree feedback. He gave some informal ways to get some feedback without having a formal program. However, much of his book seemed more like an advertisement for his program further fed by his repeated comments that he is very selective about who he is willing to work with. Overall, it was still a good book. At a minimum, it made it easier to understand what and why some situations and some people create headaches and frustration at work. I agree strongly that the only person you can change is you and any improvements have to start with you.
  jenniebooknerd | Dec 31, 2021 |
I just read it for the second time

I read this book a few years ago. Now, my workplace is going through change, some of which I am leading. Goldsmith had wonderfully practical and principled approaches I can use as I coach myself and my team in these changes. ( )
  DwaynesBookList | Aug 14, 2020 |
One sentence that stayed with me long after I finished the books was "Stop trying to coach people who shouldn't be coached". Amen to that. ( )
  rrkreads | Jun 15, 2020 |
A pretty good book of general life advice aimed at those who've already achieved something. And that can be its weakness as you might not feel like you are in the target market. (I certainly don't). But there are some good nuggets of advice here and some pretty good ideas for taking that first step. Worth the read. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
High-octane executive performers hire Goldsmith to improve their game. Goldsmith is two-parts psychologist and one-part salesman. He gets these executives (a) to see their blindspots and (b) to be healed of their blindness. Perhaps then he is two-parts Savior and one-third parabolist. Either way, Goldsmith's info is gold. His basic argument is that it often takes, say, extreme one-mindedness to reach a certain level of success. Once there, however, that one-mindedness can turn against you, can cause you to alienate those around you with your bullheaded approach to doing All Things My Way. In sum, the techniques the successful use to become successful often turn into impediments to higher levels of success. Goldsmith's book identifies 15 or so of the most common of these faults and flaws. Yet he's also aware that knowledge alone doesn't equal transcendence. Thus, Goldsmith also offers techniques to help you identify how effectively you're implementing the things he's teaching. For instance, I am an inveterate interrupter and "add-on"-er; i.e., when you bring me an idea, I'll probably like your idea and will get excited about it. But instead of simply saying, "I like your idea and it excites me," I'll interrupt your telling of the idea to add "inspired" ideas of my own. (I write "inspired" only because it was your initial good idea that was my subsequent idea's genesis.) You'll likely experience my interrupting and "add-on"-ing as both rude and invalidating, and will likely not bring me more ideas in the future. So I need to stop interrupting and start validating. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |

Marshall Goldsmithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reiter, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,084,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible