Jane Eyre (Penguin Classics) by Charlotte…

Jane Eyre (Penguin Classics) (original 1847; edition 2003)

by Charlotte Bronte (Author)

46,10974417 (4.23)7 / 2731
In early nineteenth-century England, an orphaned young woman accepts employment as a governess and soon finds herself in love with her employer who has a terrible secret.
Member:Philthy
Title:Jane Eyre (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Charlotte Bronte (Author)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Edition: 9th Printing, 576 pages
Rating:*****

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (Author) (1847)

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces, JenniferLivingstone)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Jane, the Fox, and Me by Fanny Britt (JenniferLivingstone)
    JenniferLivingstone: If you're a fan of Jane Eyre, you might enjoy the children's book Jane, the Fox, and Me. It's a sweet story about a young girl who has trouble with bullying and self-esteem - and who is able to find comfort from the book Jane Eyre. Highly, highly recommended.… (more)
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon (MissBrangwen)
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre

Europe (266)
Romans (11)
1840s (1)

English (705)  Spanish (13)  French (6)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  Italian (3)  Danish (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (747)
I know it's a classic and everyone says Jane should be revered for her strength of character, but I did not enjoy this book. I found it really slow and dull, and even during the more interesting parts I found her weak. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I know this is a much-beloved book, but I had very mixed feelings about it. There were parts I really enjoyed, but there were other parts that made me think it was never going to end. I liked Jane quite a bit and some of the other characters too, but others annoyed me.

When the book begins, we meet Jane Eyre at the age of 10. She’s an orphan living with an aunt and cousins who despise her and treat her poorly, and nothing she does seems to please them. At around 25%, the book jumps forward 8 years. I’m not describing large segments of the plot to avoid spoilers for anybody who doesn’t know the story already, but the adulthood years include some romance and a tiny bit of a mystery.

I loved the first 25% or so when Jane was still a child. It reminded me of the kinds of books I ate up as a young child, featuring a mistreated and/or misunderstood child who suffers hardships but perseveres and eventually finds friends and self-respect. Come to think of it, a lot of epic fantasy starts off with similar tropes and that’s my favorite subgenre, so I guess that’s just a thing I like. I very much sympathized with young Jane, but I also appreciated how the adult Jane narrating the story would sometimes interject with some rational adult reasoning that went beyond the hurt of the child and showed some understanding of what the people who caused her pain were thinking.

I was still interested when we jumped forward 8 years, at least for a while, but I found the entire romantic segments of the book to be horribly tedious and frustrating. For characters who seemed willing to speak their minds freely, it seemed they intentionally tortured themselves and each other needlessly with a lack of directness and with contradictory statements. Of course, that’s a common trope in romances, and it’s one of the big reasons I’m not a fan. I do understand that the social conventions of the time may have tended toward less direct speech to begin with, but the characters in this book were actually far more direct than I expected them to be, at least until indirectness was needed to drag the story out. Either way, this isn’t intended to be a literary analysis and the point of my review isn’t about what I might have thought if I’d read it when it was published in 1847. My review is about what I thought when I was reading it in 2020.

Another frustration of mine, particularly but not only during the romantic segments, was the way the characters went on forever saying the same things. They repeated themselves over and over in as many different ways as they could imagine. They would say something, and then they would say it again with different words but perhaps more dramatically. O how the circles of their words went ‘round and ‘round! See what I did there? Yes, it was somewhat like that, but much longer.

There was a point closer toward the end where things got interesting again and my interest was held pretty well until the end, although not with quite the same intensity as it was held during the beginning. I didn’t dislike the ending, but I did roll my eyes a bit at the inevitable convenience of it all and the main part of it was easily predicted. I didn’t feel like the romantic aspect of the book had much substance, but the book itself wasn’t without substance. There are many theological discussions, discussions about how to handle adversity and how to deal with people who treat you unfairly, reasons for marrying or not marrying, etc. One may not agree with everything as it’s presented in the book, but there’s some great discussion fodder there for people who are willing to move beyond gushing over (or complaining about) the romance. I can see where this could be a good selection for literature classes or book clubs.

Even though this review is overly long already, I have some additional comments for the spoiler tags.
I felt dread when Jane’s bridal day approached. Blatant foreshadowing about the split chestnut tree and the letter Jane sent aside, it was only 60% into the book and I wasn’t sure I could endure things going horribly wrong and then the remaining 40% being filled with more angst. Happily, I was far more interested in the story shortly after that when Jane left Thornfield Hall.

I very much disliked the way both Rochester and “Saint” John thought only of their own desires and assumed that just because they had found a solution that perfectly suited their own needs that it must be acceptable to Jane also and couldn’t possibly have any negative effect on her. Their behavior was much the same in that regard, the only difference being that the reader is expected to feel sympathy for Rochester because he and Jane are in love. Trying to manipulate somebody you supposedly love and not considering the impact your actions might have on them seems even worse in a way. Rochester did admit his mistake by the end, but not until after he got what he wanted.
1 vote YouKneeK | Jan 25, 2020 |
Took me a long time to finally get this off my list of wanna reads. I absolutely loved this book. Jane is such a modern woman of her times, independent, outspoken and true to her morals and high standards despite how she is treated or looked upon by the people who are supposedly better than she. There were times that I felt that she would give into others demoralizing requests, but she always held her head high and stood her ground and I was so happy for her and the ending was to be hoped for her. ( )
  booklovers2 | Dec 2, 2019 |
I hate and despise this book. This is not a love story. This is written false alibi statement, a la [b:The Turn of the Screw|12948|The Turn of the Screw|Henry James|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1443203592s/12948.jpg|990886], for a murder consipiracy between two rotten eggs who restrained, tormented, and then murdered a woman suffering from mental illness. Oh, did you actually believe Jane "heard a voice" calling her back to Rochester and that's why she just happened to arrive back in the area once his wife was dead? Puh-lease. As a sufferer of severe postpartum depression myself, let me make this clear: if my husband (Mr.Soule, I'm talking to you) locks me up in the attic, restrains me, turns my child against me while similtaneously using them to control me, and psycholocally tortures me for years and THEN has the nerve to have an affair with his gold-digging young hussy of a governess, YOU BETTER FUCKING BELIEVE I WILL MAIM YOU AND BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN AROUND YOU. Just so we're clear. God, this book pisses me off. You don't fool me with your little sob story of a difficult youth, Jane - I AM ONTO YOU! ( )
3 vote Mrs.Soule | Nov 25, 2019 |
Edição bonita com poucos erros de digitação. Apesar de muitas páginas e o tamanho das folhas a leitura é confortável.
A narrativa em si é um pouco cansativa, muito detalhista e o final me frustou demais. ( )
  AnnieBitencourt | Nov 19, 2019 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre (Readable Classics) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,541,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible