Jane Eyre (Dover Thrift Editions) by…

Jane Eyre (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1847; edition 2003)

by Charlotte Brontë

42,61571215 (4.23)7 / 2609
Member:kirarakim
Title:Jane Eyre (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Charlotte Brontë
Info:Dover Publications (2003), Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:Classic

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer, chrisharpe, fannyprice)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Debates about which is the greater love story have raged between book lovers for years. Why not read both and form your own opinion?
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Kerian, westher, deepikasd)
    Kerian: If for some reason you read The Eyre Affair without having read Jane Eyre, I definitely recommend it. It will certainly be interesting to read and is a very good book.
    westher: Voor als je wilt weten hoe de verhaallijn ontstaan is ;-)
    deepikasd: This story also gives you a different spin and shows how the story is "changed" to what it is today. Though the story is a parody, the reader who loves Jane Eyre will definitely love meeting the characters again and relish the story all over.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (roby72, gabynation6)
    gabynation6: these authors were sisters
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (stephmo, aces, JenniferLivingstone)
    stephmo: Written as the story of the first Mrs. Rochester. While this may not be the light we want to remember Mr. Rochester in, it leads to a richer picture of the man he becomes for Jane.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both gothic novels, with a big ol' creepy house, and theme of hidden family secrets
    Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (Medellia)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Villette by Charlotte Brontë (Wraith_Ravenscroft, allenmichie)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: An interesting retelling.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (hazzabamboo)
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (lanaing)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The Mysterious Howling offers a fresh perspective on the young governess arriving at a mysterious new place of employment. It's tongue-in-cheek and very funny--definitely an enjoyable read for those who don't take Jane Eyre too seriously.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Maiasaura)
    The Victorian Governess by Kathryn Hughes (susanbooks)
    Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (ElizabethPotter)
    ElizabethPotter: This is like Jane Eyre in verse.
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Anonymous user)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Two Victorian heroines approach the question of how to reconcile passion and morality in very different ways.
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Naylor so brilliantly plays w/Dante & Jane Eyre
    Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life by Lyndall Gordon (MissBrangwen)

Romans (11)
2016 (23)
1840s (1)

English (675)  Spanish (9)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Italian (2)  All (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  All (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (710)
This is the first time I've read Jane Eyre and I'm sorry it took me so long to say "hello" to Jane. I could have benefited from reading her tale at various times in my past, but I'm glad to have made the acquaintance now, as I've found a life long companion in Jane.

I admire Jane as she changed and grew with each of life's circumstances. At times it was unpleasant, unfair, gothic and prejudiced ... but it was real, and she took us, the readers, along with her on the journey as we saw the world through her eyes.

She's a strong female character, totally hellbent on independence. "I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself." ( )
  mandarella | May 21, 2018 |
Excellent in parts, but Rochester is too much the tiresome man-child. I'm not saying Jane was wrong to choose him; it's just tiresome to read about him. There's something about their dialogues that I don't like.

I need to reread Thackeray. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
Do I really think this rates five stars? eh...

OK, look, Jane is a complete nincompoop and Rochester is a creepy perv. The whole story is a lot of overwrought angst. Still...still...I have a history with this book. It was the first "grown-up" novel I ever read. I think I was eight. I know I was locked in a battle with an overbearing librarian who thought children should only read Dr. Seuss books. (For the record, I have nothing against dear Dr. Seuss.) This book was my Battle of Hastings win. So, yeah, five stars. I still read it every couple of years. ( )
  Yaaresse | Apr 24, 2018 |
I am stunned to say that I did not enjoy this book nearly as much as I had anticipated I would. It has great reviews, and is obviously considered one of the great classics. To my surprise, I could not warm up to the characters.

What I liked - I enjoyed the first part of the book when Jane was a child and she has her first experiences at her boarding school. I liked some of the plot twists, especially involving the surprise appearances of mysterious characters.

What I did not like - I found the two men in Jane's life to be whiny. I never bought either one of them to be sincere. I found Jane falling for Mr. Rochester so quickly to be annoying, and her undying love for the man was too much for me to swallow. This could be because I am a man who is not necessarily a big reader of romance, but Jane never seemed to show anger at any of the actions or omissions of Mr. Rochester and that seemed ridiculous to me. Jane was just too perfect in her temperament.

Anyway, I am glad I read it and feel better for it. I wish I had liked it more. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Jane Eyre is one of the few books I have re-read. My reading pace is too slow to spend time re-reading books. However, I get sentimental and need a dose of Jane every few years. In 2017, I listened to the audio version and Thandie Newton was phenomenal. Jane Eyre was even more endearing with Ms. Newton's narration. I will always love my Jane Eyre. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

To
W.M. THACKERAY, ESQ.
This work is
respectfully inscribed

by
THE AUTHOR
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Preface
A preface to the first edition of 'Jane Eyre' being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
I could not answer the ceaseless inward question—why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of—I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.
Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am souless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart, and if God had granted me some beauty and much wealth I should have made it as hard for you to leave me as it is now for me to leave you.
Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.
To have yielded would have been an error of principle; to have yielded now would have been an error in judgement.
I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.
This is the complete, unabridged Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Do not combine with any abridged versions, Norton Critical Editions, or vampire books.

Jane Eyre is the story of a love-deprived girl who becomes the governess of a young french girl at a the Rochester estate. Jane's boss, Mr Rochester is mysterious and reclusive. As romance develops between Jane and Rochester not all is as it seems. There are strange noises in the night and Jane believes a servant is trying to kill Rochester. Nothing at the Rochester estate is as she expects.
historia de amor
She's poor and orphaned
But educated and proud
Boss gets all fired up.
(pickupsticks)

A new edition of one of Penguin's top ten Classics-the novel that has been "teaching true strength of character for generations"
(The Guardian)

A novel of intense power and intrigue, Jane Eyre has dazzled generations of readers with its depiction of a woman's quest for freedom. This updated edition features a new introduction discussing the novel's political and magical dimensions.

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him whatever the consequences or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving her beloved?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

"Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt, where she endures loneliness and cruelty, and at a charity school with a harsh regime. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she takes a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. But when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves? A novel of intense power and intrigue, 'Jane Eyre' (1847) dazzled and shocked readers with its passionate depiction of a woman's search for equality and freedom. In her introduction, Stevie Davies discusses the novel's language and politics, its treatment of women's lives and its literary influences. This edition also includes a chronology, further reading, an appendix and notes." -- Back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre (Readable Classics) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,425,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible