Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West…

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale (original 1975; edition 2004)

by Verna Aardema, Leo Dillon (Illustrator), Diane Dillon (Illustrator)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.
Member:Toneicya
Title:Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale
Authors:Verna Aardema
Other authors:Leo Dillon (Illustrator), Diane Dillon (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin/Dial (2004), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:fables, African, children, stories

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale by Verna Aardema (1975)

00011982
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This picture book was published in 1975. It was a Caldecott Award winner in 1976. It is based on an African legend. It tells a cumulative tale that includes dishonesty, as the mosquito lies to other animal, which leads to tragedy. The mosquito then hides due to what they caused, and this leads to the folk story as why mosquitos buzz in people's ears. The artwork in the story is very bold and unique. I believe students would enjoy the illustrations that accompany the story, and it would definitely enhance the story telling.
  Jeff.Condon | Jul 24, 2020 |
First up for the ‘ILS 516 Folklore/Fairy Tales’ category is this story which my feelings toward are admittedly torn. Right off the bat, I loved the art. Everything is vibrant and the sun and owl in particular look really great. Yet, I am confused as to why mosquitoes buzz. I thought the story was going to end by saying how the ruler of the animal kingdom (the lion) punishes the mosquitoes by making them only buzz so that they cannot cause any more death. But, that never happens. Though this is not entirely the fault of the author since it is a story translated and passed down through generations, I am still trying to wrap my head around it. My torn feelings aside, I still enjoyed reading Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears: A West African Tale. ( )
  TNAEWWF123 | Apr 27, 2020 |

Verna Aardemaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Marcia VanDuinen who heard this story first
One morning a mosquito saw an iguana drinking at a waterhole.
Is everyone still mad at me?
Mosquito told me such a big lie, I couldn't bear to listen to it. So I put sticks in my ears.
I'd rather be deaf than listen to such nonsense!
It was the mosquito's fault
The mosquito said, "I saw a farmer digging yams that were almost as big as I am."
"What's a mosquito compared to a yam?" snapped the iguana grumpily.

This West African pourquoi tale explains why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears. It all starts with Mosquito telling a lie to Iguana. Tired of listening to Mosquito, Iguana puts twigs in his own ears. When Python tries to talk to Iguana and Iguana doesn't respond to him, it sets off a chain of events that leads to the sun not rising in the morning. King Lion must learn the story of the events leading back to Mosquito's lie in order to get Mother Owl to call the sun. The story is enhanced by beautiful Caldecott winning illustrations.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,419,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible