Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

P Is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet…

P Is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Raj Haldar (Author), Maria Beddia (Illustrator)

A New York TimesBestseller! A "raucous trip through the odd corners of our alphabet." --The New York Times Let's get real--the English language is bizarre. A might be for apple, but it's also for aisle and aeons. Why does the word "gnat" start with a G but the word "knot" doesn't start with an N? It doesn't always make sense, but don't let these rule-breaking silent letters defeat you! This whimsical, funky book from Raj Haldar (aka rapper Lushlife) turns the traditional idea of an alphabet book on its head, poking fun at the most mischievous words in the English language and demonstrating how to pronounce them. Fun and informative for word nerds of all ages!… (more)
Member:AveryLong
Title:P Is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever
Authors:Raj Haldar (Author)
Other authors:Maria Beddia (Illustrator)
Info:Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (2018), 40 pages
Tags:NYT Bestseller for Children, picture book, funny, illustrations, phonetics, alphabet

P is For Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever by Raj Haldar (2018)

Recently added byprivate library, coffeefairy, elfita, fyrefly98, SeanMarlow, Snipefu, starlynx, AmyLerman

This is a hilarious A to Z book on the strange rules to the English language, that uses words with silent letters to represent that letter of the alphabet. A fun take on our language and on an A to Z book.
  mweinmeister | Jul 24, 2020 |
My favorite alphabet book yet!!!!
Super funny but a little hard to read aloud ( )
  Rachael_SJSU | Jul 11, 2020 |
Amusing, though especially for adults. I appreciate the attempt at a language lesson included, but I don't know how well it will work for the kids who are a picture book's usual audience. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
This is quite possibly the stupidest book I have ever read. I love it. I downgraded one star because X was boring. X is always the true test of any (English) alphabet book, and this one was just too ordinary. They could have easily used xenophobic, or xanthometer, or xylem. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
This was such a fun book! My son is familiar with his letters and their sounds, so he was understandably confused most of the time. I had to stop after every page and explain why what he saw was different from what he heard. I'm also not ashamed to admit that even I had to glance at the glossary a few times for certain pronunciations! Definitely recommend. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |
A is for Aisle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,531,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible