A Promise Forged (Buckeye Promises Book 1)…

A Promise Forged (Buckeye Promises Book 1) (edition 2017)

by Cara Putman (Author)

432,307,912 (4.33)None
Member:Suzie27
Title:A Promise Forged (Buckeye Promises Book 1)
Authors:Cara Putman (Author)
Info:Whisper Valley Press (2017), Edition: 2, 169 pages

A Promise Forged (Buckeye Promises Book 1) by Cara Putman

No tags.

This was a fantastic novella that talks about the women’s softball/baseball league that was formed during WWII. I loved learning reading about this team so much that I had to research it a little more to see how long it lasted. The characters were really fun. I loved the reporter, Jack and how he trailed Kat during the season and almost made her a hero. I could see her reaction of dislike, too. It was a wonderful read. I received a copy of this book from Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Aug 11, 2018 |
While I am not a huge baseball fan, I do enjoy a good sports story (no matter which sport). Cara Putman’s A Promise Forged is reminiscent of A League of Their Own starring Tom Hanks and Geena Davis.

When seventeen-year-old Katherine (Kat) Miller makes it through tryouts for the All American Girls Professional Softball League (AAGPSL), she finds her faith challenged. And the loneliness she experiences in the midst of her teammates in something she didn’t consider about her time playing the sport she loves.

Covering the AAGPSL is the last assignment reported Jack Raymond wants. Yet, the young dynamo Kat Miller catches his attention from the start. And he hopes to make her a star while attracting the attention of a larger paper.

There are some big obstacles between Kat and Jack—age and distance are just two of the biggest—but there is definite interest and attraction present.

Even though Kat plays for a fictionalized team, Putman pts readers on the diamond, revealing the grueling training and travel schedule of the teams as well as the rigid rules and regulations. There is also the challenge of jealous teammates, uninterested fans, and the stress of being cut or traded from the team.

This short and sweet story is definitely worth the read (even if you aren’t at all a sports person).

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. ( )
  Suzie27 | Aug 10, 2018 |
Move over boys, the girls of summer take center stage in Cara Putman’s WWII romance, A Promise Forged. Putman reimagines the All-American Girls Professional Softball League’s inaugural season in this standalone novella in her Buckeye Promises series. I loved the nostalgic feel of this book — a time of great turmoil, yet filled with hope and and faith. This is a sweet romance set on the homefront.

Katherine Kat Miller is a seventeen year old girl who just wants to play softball. She gets her chance, but there’s more involved than action on the diamond. Charm school, uniforms with short skirts, chaperones, and rules galore are the price of admittance. Her young age and the jealousies of teammates for perceived special treatment make for loneliness and the challenge to shine her light for God. I loved Kat’s character. She is a determined young woman faithful to God, yet with realistic doubts, fears, hopes and dreams. Her faith speaks loudly, even to those who don’t really want the message it proclaims. Jack, the journalist assigned to get the story on the hometown team, is also realistically portrayed. His frustration with his job comes through loud and clear. Putman does a great job with the evolution his character. Historic details make this a fun, fun read. The romance is indeed sweet, though I had a hard time with a relationship between a seventeen year old and a twenty-five year old. I had to keep reminding myself that the 1940s were a different time. And Kat is certainly not like many teenagers today. She is mature in her beliefs, attitudes, and convictions.

All in all, A Promise Forged was an entertaining read. It captured an interesting point in American history while providing a satisfying romance. Recommended.

Recommended.

Audience: older teens to adults.

(Thanks to Celebrate Lit for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Aug 9, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,081,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible