Child of Darkness by V. C. Andrews

Child of Darkness (edition 2005)

by V. C. Andrews (Author)

Series: Gemini [Andrews] (3)

She grew up in the shadows of lies. Now the past will come to light. As a child, she was Baby Celeste, the one thing that kept her mother in touch with reality. But now her mother is in an institution, and sixteen-year-old Celeste Atwell is alone in the world. Adopted by a wealthy couple, Celeste has everything a girl could desire: designer clothes, luxury cars, even a handsome boyfriend. But her indulgence may come at a steep price -- because the secrets hidden within her new family are too dangerous to keep under wraps.... Also in the bestselling Gemini series from V.C. Andrews®-- be sure to read Celeste and Black Cat, available from Pocket Star Books!… (more)
Member:TinaDize
Title:Child of Darkness
Authors:V. C. Andrews (Author)
Info:Pocket Star (2005), Edition: First Edition, 416 pages

Child Of Darkness by V. C. Andrews

Third in the Gemini series. I was so sad there was not a 4th or 5th in the series. Reminded me of VC Andrews first books. One of my favorites from her ghost writer. I would recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
I was disappointed by this book. It's not really the book's fault, though. It was decently written with an interesting plot and moderately well-developed characters. What disappointed me was the direction the series took. The first two books set up this fascinating world where the family members are either seeing their dead ancestors or schizophrenic. The mother is classic V.C. Andrews-style abusive, and I was looking forward to this story being fleshed out, having an explanation for the visions, seeing the repercussions of Baby Celeste growing up in that family, reading about the older Celeste's therapy after masquerading as a boy for many years, finding out what happened to Panther... None of that is in this book. Baby Celeste is a 17 year old orphan at the beginning of this book, and then she gets adopted by some creepy rich people who have secrets of their own (which don't have anything to do with Celeste). It's almost like an entirely different series. I don't care about this other family's weird crap. That's not why I picked up this book. The elder Celeste barely even makes an appearance in these pages and it's frustrating as hell. The series also ends here. Usually an Andrews series (before the ghostwriter ran out of outlines left by the real Virginia Andrews) featured 3 books about a girl, one about her daughter, then a prequel about the mother or grandmother. Yes, it's formulaic, but it works. It satisfies the reader. The fourth book wraps things up, then the fifth book explains how they got to be all messed up in the first place. There is enough information to make you care about these people. I'm just....this makes me sad is all. I feel like I could have done a better job finishing out the series myself, and that shouldn't be the case. I'm not an author and I don't pretend to be, so for me to say that....it's pretty crappy.
However, none of that has anything to do with the book that is. The book as it exists is an entertaining read, I just expected better from this author. ( )
  EmScape | Nov 17, 2010 |
Awesome. It has been awhile since I have read a series that made me hunger for the next one. I could hardly pull myself away while reading this series. Having praised the series this book out of the 3 is my least favorite. I can't really put my finger on why just didn't have the same bite and won't let go feel. Even so... Still one of the best Andrews series books I have read. ( )
  justablondemoment | Feb 23, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,590,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible