Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Making Spaces Safer: A Guide to Giving…

Making Spaces Safer: A Guide to Giving Harassment the Boot Wherever You… (edition 2019)

by Shawna Potter (Author)

"Shawna Potter, singer for the band War On Women, has tackled sexism and harassment in lyrics and on stage for years. Taking the battle to music venues themselves, she has trained night clubs and community spaces in how to create safer environments for marginalized people. Now she's turned decades of experience into a clear and concise guide for public spaces of all sorts, from art galleries to bagel shops to concert halls, that want to shut down harassers wherever they show up. The steps she outlines are realistic, practical, and actionable. With the addition of personal stories, case studies, sample policies, and no-nonsense advice like "How to Flirt without Being a Creep," she shows why safer spaces are important, while making it easier to achieve them. Eschewing theory, she assumes the reader is already an ethical creature and jumps right in with candor, punk passion, and righteous anger to get the job done!" -- Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:MatthewAntipas
Title:Making Spaces Safer: A Guide to Giving Harassment the Boot Wherever You Work, Play, and Gather
Authors:Shawna Potter (Author)
Info:AK Press (2019), 110 pages

Work Information

Making Spaces Safer: A Pocket Guide (To the Point) by Shawna Potter

Best for:
Anyone who runs a club, organization, group, or works at a bar, club, or venue. Basically people who are responsible for other people.

In a nutshell:
Author Potter offers suggestions for ways to keep event spaces safer for participants.

Worth quoting:
“When approached by someone who has experienced harassment, being their advocate is your number one priority.”

Why I chose it:
I recently stepped into a leadership role in an organization I’m in, and I want to make sure its a safer space for all involved.

Review:
I’ve been harassed. I’m a woman - of course I’ve been harassed. I’ve also been present when other women have been harassed, and when people of color have been harassed. In those moments, we want to do something - but do most of us know what to do? The best ways to respond? How to care for the person who has been harmed?

This book looks at ways to create safer spaces, including being very clear about the values your space / organization supports, what is not tolerated, how to respond, and ways to be accountable. There are many different options here, so you can try out what you think will work best for the people you are looking to ensure are safer.

This book is definitely best for the places it was created for - that is, music venues, bars, defined spaces. But there are a lot of good lessons in here that can translate to other spaces.

Keep it / Pass to a Friend / Donate it / Toss it:
Keep it and Pass to a Friend ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 2, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,311,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible