How to Be Successful Without Hurting Men’s…

How to Be Successful Without Hurting Men’s Feelings: Non-threatening… (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Sarah Cooper (Author)

Ambitious women are so scary. In this fast-paced business world, female leaders need to make sure they're not perceived as pushy, aggressive, or competent. In How to Be Successful Without Hurting Men's Feelings, Sarah Cooper, author of the bestselling 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings, illustrates how women can achieve their dreams, succeed in their careers, and become leaders, without harming the fragile male ego. Chapters include, among others, "9 Non-threatening Leadership Strategies for Women," "How to Ace Your Job Interview Without Over-acing It," and "Choose Your Own Adventure: Do You Want to Be Likable or Successful?" It even includes several pages to doodle on while men finish what they're saying. Each chapter also features an exercise with a set of "inaction items" designed to challenge women to be less challenging. And, when all else fails, a set of wearable mustaches is included to allow women to seem more man-like. This will cancel out any need to change their leadership style. In fact, it may even lead to a quick promotion!… (more)
Member:ckennicott
Title:How to Be Successful Without Hurting Men’s Feelings: Non-threatening Leadership Strategies for Women
Authors:Sarah Cooper (Author)
Info:Square Peg (2018), Edition: 01, 216 pages

Work Information

How to Be Successful without Hurting Men's Feelings: Non-threatening Leadership Strategies for Women by Sarah Cooper (2018)

Hilarious but true!

After seeing the author on MSNBC, I immediately bought three of her books. This is the first one I read, and I laughed all the way through. Of course, it is based on truth or it would not be so funny. You just have to read it and see! ( )
  WiseOwlFactory | Feb 20, 2022 |
This is a very smart, (sadly) relevant humor book.

The changing formats between illustrations, graphs, tables, even "worksheets" and a choose-your-own-adventure, etc were a good choice for keeping the book from turning stale. The jokes were sometimes subtle and often dug deep, making them hit all the harder.

The book balances well the humor with "actually no of course this is all absurd" to keep the readers from yeeting themselves into the sun in frustration. Major kudos to the author for not yeeting herself into the sun while writing it. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
I read one reviewer of this book that thought it was bad feminism to give strategies for succeeding by making men happy. One has to wonder if that reviewer even read the book. It is so evident the writer has her tongue planted firmly in her cheek that an individual would have to be lacking subtlety and humor of any sort not to get it. That said, I enjoyed the book. There were many quotable places and a lot of stuff made me laugh. Additional features like buttons to hand out to men who manage to just be decent people for a few minutes, and fake mustaches to wear when you need respect add to the fun. There are also the funny exercises and worksheets that accompany each chapter. Overall, a winner. ( )
  Devil_llama | Sep 9, 2021 |
This was very funny, and I'm so glad I waited patiently for it from the library.

See my full review on Insta:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BueLVhuHC7l/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
I ended up buying this on Thursday and was happy when it arrived Saturday. After a long road trip back from the southern part of VA, I was happy to be back in my house and reading something funny.

I had seen a post about this book on Ask A Manager, and loved the images that were shown.

Later on a friend and I going into work looked it up and were dying about some of the the things that Cooper gets into, but then of course we also got mad and then sad, because though this is humor, it still stings.

Yes, women are often talked down to by colleagues, ignored for saying something, but kudos are given out when a male colleague repeats the same comment ten minutes later. We are often told to not get wound up when someone is doing something shitty to us, and called a bitch behind our backs when we refuse to let someone walk all over us. Yes, it is 2018 and the more things change, the more they stay the same.

This book reminds me of Yes Please by Amy Poehler, both are bright books which include places for the owner of the book to write, scribble, doodle, etc.

There are 12 chapters in this book (FYI they are very short due to the illustrations, so don't worry about getting bored) with a funny introduction and conclusion.

Chapter 2: Communication-How to Talk Like A Man but Still be Seen as a Woman is the one chapter that ticked me off the most though (I still laughed). Probably because every scenario in there has happened to me. Oh you said something that got totally ignored and a male colleague is praised for saying it 15 minutes later. Do you worry about talking too loud and forceful though when your male colleague does it, somehow he's considering charismatic and a leader of the future?

Chapter 4: Authenticity-How to Bring Your True Self to Work and Then Hide it Completely made me giggle the most though. I remember being new to the government and being told I needed to bring in pictures (I was not married and didn't have kids--still don't) to make me more approachable. A manager said this to me. I remember thinking who cares what is going on at home, it's not like you will ever meet these people!

Chapter 7: Negotiation-Gaslighting for Beginners and Chapter 8: Harassment-How to be Harassed Without Hurting his Career were also had some funny side by sides.

The side by sides showing how to do things incorrectly and the right way to do things in this book should be pull outs that you can stick on a fridge or in your cube somewhere.

This book is obviously humor, so please don't follow the advice in the book. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,015,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible