Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus…

by Julia Turshen (Author), David Loftus (Photographer)

Named one of the most anticipated cookbooks byEater, Epicurious, Food & Wine and was selected as aNew York Times notable pick With 125+ delicious and doable recipes and 20 creative menu ideas for cooks of any skill level. Go-to recipes, inspired menus and ideas for reinventing leftovers:Now & Again will change the way we gather, eat and think about leftovers. In this new cookbook by the author ofSmall Victories, fans and newcomers alike will delight in Julia Turshen's funny and encouraging voice as she helps cooks of any skill level to gather friends and family around the table to share a meal (or many!) together. With more than 125 delicious and doable recipes including the popular Applesauce Cake with Cream Cheese Impress your guests with 20 inspiring menus for amazing social gatherings, holidays, and more Named one of the 100 Greatest Home Cooks of All Time byEpicurious, Julia Turshen is the bestselling author of the highly acclaimed and award-winningNow & Again,Feed the Resistance, andSmall Victories. Now & Again is the type of cookbook you'll reach for time and time again. Approachable and designed with both novice and advanced cooks in mind, the recipes, ideas, and techniques for reinventing leftovers will become a staple in your kitchen. With 125+ delicious and doable recipes and 20 creative menu ideas for all levels of cooks, you will think about leftovers in an entirely new way Helpful "It's Me Again" recipes show how to use leftovers in new and delicious ways Tips on how to be smart and thrifty with food choices Selected as one of the Top 10 Jew-ish Cookbooks byThe Forward and nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award for Best Cookbooks 2018. Helpful prep and plan timelines for flawlessly throwing a party… (more)
Member:ATKlibrary
Title:Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers (Meal Planning Cookbook, Easy Recipes Cookbook, Fun Recipe Cookbook)
Authors:Julia Turshen (Author)
Other authors:David Loftus (Photographer)
Info:Chronicle Books (2018), 304 pages
Collections:Main Library, Your library
Tags:Individual Chef

Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers by Julia Turshen

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Raspberries with Cocoa Whipped Cream, p.197, good, Cocoa Whipped Cream very good.
Pickled spring vegetables, p.157, my version aleppo pepper flakes, whole allspice, whole coriander and celery seeds; hatch chiles, red okra, snap beans and zucchini. Quite good and easy if too hot for others.
Black Forest cake, p.109, Good, easy, split the sugar between the separated eggs.
Shredded Cabbage Salad with Feta + Herbs, p.87, very good but "serves 8 to 10" means 16 to 20.
Scrambled Eggs with Cilantro + Coconut Chutney, p.10, very good, and interesting with the chutney. Leftover chutney did well with pan fried veal and with quinoa cereal. ( )
  DromJohn | Jun 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love Julia Turshen, and I loved this cookbook! Full of lovely and simple recipes, menu plans, and make-ahead tips - and then creative ways to put the leftovers to use. Day-old radicchio and squash salad turns into a killer grilled cheese filling; today’s eggplant salad becomes tomorrow’s eggplant dip, etc. And her thoughtful, well-written recipe intros are second to none. ( )
  ChristineCrofts | Jan 8, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I grew up (in the 50s and 60s) cooking out of old cook books with no pictures at all--or strange shots of entirely unappetizing dishes. I was surprised when one of my daughters listed photos as a necessary part of any book she would cook from.

Well, "Now & Again" is just up her galley. Heavily seeded with gorgeous photos, the book has the sturdy pages and heft the signal the recipes had better be good. It's from Chronicle Books, which is a good thing, as you can bet the recipes have been tested and retested. Indeed, all the ones I tried came out very well.

The book is both authoritative and easygoing, with plenty of suggestions about substitutions. It was originally conceived as a book about using leftovers. Recipes are arranged by menus, which are arranged by seasons. Many of the recipes sound familiar, but there are twists: two kinds of mustard in deviled eggs, or a Black Forest cake that skips the usual intense preparation with store-bought cherry preserves spiked with Kirsch and ladled onto a flourless chocolate cake.

Just when I think there's no room in my life for another cook book, along comes "Now & Again." I'm going to have to find room somewhere to keep this fine volume at hand. ( )
  frannyor | Jan 2, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This beautifully produced book of about a hundred recipes is organized by season, each season with five themed menus that usually include a Jewish theme (e.g. Rosh Hashanah, "Not-kosher Jewish Christmas," Passover Seder); a holiday theme (Thanksgiving, 4th of July); and an ethnic/specialty theme (Mexican, Middle Eastern, vegetarian, comfort). My favorite is in Spring: “Grace’s Birthday Late Lunch,” with deviled eggs, pulled pork and slaw, sweet-potato fries and cake.

Each menu begins with a background essay (often including homages to Turshen's parents, wife, Jewish traditions and noble causes), and ends with an “It’s Me Again” page of suggestions/recipes for using up leftovers. Curiously, although the subtitle touts “endless ideas for reinventing leftovers,” there’s less about leftovers than I expected. BUT what there is, is often a true “reinvention,” where a leftover’s liability (usually its change in texture) is erased, for example when lettuces and mashed vegetables are incorporated into soups. And leftovers are reinvented again in Turshen’s “Seven Lists” at the end of the book, some of which suggest what to do with extra wine, cooked rice, takeout food, snacks and produce.

I’m not sure how many dishes I’ll cook from this, but it was entertaining and inspiring armchair cooking. ( )
  DetailMuse | Dec 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a beautifully photographed book. Pictures accompany many of the recipes. The book is organized by seasonal menus. This is usually not one of my favorite ways to organize a cookbook. However, the table of contents includes the names of all the recipes along with the page number where it appears. Then on page 280 there is a list of the recipes broken down into types. These two things make this book much more useful than most books arranged by menu.

At the end of every menu is a section called "It's Me Again". This section gives great ideas on how to use leftovers from that menu. The last chapter is called "Seven Lists". This consists of seven lists of seven things to do with various things. One list shows what to do with cooked rice. I felt the section was very useful. There are a few more menu suggestions, notes on tools and ingredients, and a section on giving back.

I tried one of the recipes out on family members. I made the Spiced Banana Brown Bread from page 85. The description and recipe were very accurate. We enjoyed a different and healthier take on banana bread. I will be making more from this book in the future. This is a great cookbook that belongs on any cooking enthusiast's shelves. ( )
  fiberdzns | Nov 21, 2018 |

Julia Turshenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Loftus, DavidPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Julia Turshen's book Now & Again was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,876,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible