A River of Royal Blood (2019)

by Amanda Joy

Seventeen-year-old Eva must harness the magick inside her to defeat her older sister, Isadore, as well as other forces, and win the crown in the Queendom of Myre--or die trying.

I received the first chapters of this one through Netgalley. So, I'm only giving my thoughts on the first part of this one.

This is definitely a richly, well-written book, and from the literary end, very well done. The world building pulled in right away and really let me sink into the surroundings. That was a treat. From the beginning plot side, it held lots of promise that there will be all sorts of intrigue, secrets, struggles, character arc and such coming up. And despite all of this goodness, I can't say that I was driven to keep reading it, either, and won't be picking it up.

While the world building is absolutely terrific, I simply didn't feel drawn into the characters. It wasn't that there wasn't a bit of depth, and the happenings did build a bit of sympathy...but for some reason, the princess remained an arm length's away. Even the happenings drove forward, and while it built tension, it didn't completely make me care. When I laid the book down, it could stay down. And that's not a great sign. ( )
  tdrecker | Dec 31, 2020 |
WOW!

From beginning to end this book is a fast paced, action packed story of how far sibling rivalry can really go. The book also contains a unique magic system with different types of magick that has different traits & levels of danger for each. Each of the characters are well thought out even if they aren't a 'main' character you can still tell that the author has outlined some kind of background for each of them, then causing the reader to be even more invested in them all (or at least in my case).

The only reason I can't give this book 5 stars is because of the ending. I feel on the one hand the book could have easily been longer but on the other it hasn't really effected my whole opinion of the book as I still want the sequel like now!

Overall an awesome debut book for readers of all ages! ( )
  kymisan | Jun 25, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,868,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible