Border Son by Samuel Parker

Border Son (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Samuel Parker (Author)

2012748,788 (3.54)2
Member:JenniferRobb
Title:Border Son
Authors:Samuel Parker (Author)
Info:Revell (2019), 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:samuel parker, mexico, border, drugs, drug cartel, drug transportation, mexican gang, smuggling, prodigal son

Border Son by Samuel Parker (2019)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a dark and brooding tale of a long-estranged father and son taken from the prodigal son story. The characters feel real and give a heart wrenching pull to the reader. ( )
  mrmapcase | Mar 18, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really didn't go for this book. It was technically written well, and Parker clearly is not a hack. But the plot just really let me down. The story was something we have read and seen in movies dozens of time before. Delinquent son gets in trouble with bad men, plain spoken Midwest father goes to his aid. Stock drug villains, corrupt government officials, etc. Parker includes a caveat in a authors note saying he respects Mexican culture and hopes he hasn't offended anyone, yet almost all the Mexican characters are "bad hombres" or suffering peasants. Nothing really terrible here, but nothing very original either. ( )
  erikschreppel | Mar 16, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked the suspense this book provided, especially because it wasn't predictable, nor was it lengthy. Most of the scenes got a bit scary, but it was still good. The ending left me wondering what may happen with the now reunited father and son. ( )
  rangel_tatum | Mar 5, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great concept, wanted more from it. A gang near the border runs a lot of stuff and a couple of dudes try to get rich. One saves the other. Then his estranged father catches wind of it and comes to try and save him. That part rang hollow for me, which is too bad, because it predominates the book. Maybe the characters weren't fully fleshed out for me to believe it, I don't know. With a story that begs for a ton of action, there wasn't much. There was a lot of rumination, and the action sequences seemed to be short. More of that would have driven the story a bit more. ( )
  tim_mo | Mar 2, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the Early Reviewers program. I have to say it took me awhile to finish this book as it just didn't keep me interested. The concept was interesting, child/parent relationships amidst the Mexican/American border drug cartel; however I found the writing a bit lacking and not enough character building to make you care what was going to happen. The only character I truly enjoyed was Roberto. His character was the most fleshed out and I could feel the conflict and hopelessness he felt, the love he had for his mother was plain to see. This part of the story line was the only reason I finished the book. ( )
  Jenfers | Feb 26, 2019 |
Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.--Bob Marley

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Samuel Parker's book Border Son is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,442,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible