HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Footprints in the Dust: Nursing, Survival, Compassion, and Hope with…

by Roberta Gately

1721,133,707 (5)None
Roberta Gately is a nurse and humanitarian aid worker who has served in war zones ranging from Africa to Afghanistan aiding refugees. Just the word refugee sparks conversation and fuels emotion. There are more than twenty-two million refugees worldwide and another sixty-five million who have been forcibly displaced. But who are these people? Images filter into our consciousness via dramatic photographs--but these photos only offer a glimpse into their stories. Footprints in the Dust aims to share the real stories of refugees around the world in hopes of revealing the truth about their experience. As a young ER nurse in Boston, Roberta was stopped cold by stark images of big-bellied babies with empty haunting stares in the news. She called the aid organisation featured in the news story and within two months, she was on her way. Roberta would soon learn that world into which millions of children around the globe were born was fraught with unspeakable horrors. The only certainties for so many of these children were, and remain to this day--disease and devastating injury. Footprints in the Dust reveals the humanity behind the headlines, beginning where the newscasters end their reports. The people we meet within this riveting book are neither all saints nor all sinners--and impossible to forget.… (more)
110515 (1) ebook (1) to-read (2)

Outstanding book! Grassroots history, geography, humanity, inhumanity, courage and well written and told! ( )
  ricelaker | Jun 12, 2020 |
I knew I would like this book as soon as I read it's description on Netgalley. It is exactly the sort of memoir that I find interesting. I also think it is a very important book at a time when there is much prejudice around immigration and a lack of understanding relating to asylum seekers - in other words, a lack of understanding about what is actually going on in other parts of the world.

The book begins with the author describing her background and path into working for humanitarian aid agencies. This is followed by chapters describing her work firstly in Afghanistan and Pakistan in the late 1980's followed by placements in Africa, Macedonia, Afghanistan again, Iraq and finally Sudan. The work is initially nursing in a clinic setting, but as the author became more experienced in humanitarian aid settings she began to be sent to war zones very early in the humanitarian effort to assess needs and recommend how aid agencies should proceed in the area. I found it to be a fascinating read throughout - not only are the needs of the people described but also the settings and living conditions.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Elainedav | Sep 25, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,974,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible