Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction…

Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction (original 1997; edition 2000)

by Jonathan Culler (Author)

What is Literary Theory? Is there a relationship between literature and culture? In fact, what is Literature, and does it matter?These are the sorts of questions addressed by Jonathan Culler in a book which steers a clear path through a subject often perceived to be complex and impenetrable. It offers discerning insights into theories about the nature of language and meaning, whether literature is a form of self-expression ora method of appeal to an audience, and outlines the ideas behind a number of different schools: deconstruction, semiotics, postcolonial theory, and structuralism amongst them.… (more)
Member:MariaLW
Title:Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction
Authors:Jonathan Culler (Author)
Info:Oxford University Press (2000), Edition: New Ed, 152 pages

Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction by Jonathan D. Culler (1997)

50 Literature Ideas You Really Need to Know by John Sutherland (TeaWren)
    TeaWren: I recommend '50 Literature Ideas' first as it provides a clear, concise overview of 50 common literary terms. This way, when 'Literary Theory' uses those words to describe other words/ideas you'll know what it's on about. I wish I'd done that.
    Six Walks in the Fictional Woods by Umberto Eco (Oct326)

Very short, very concise book about literary theory. I knew nothing about literary theory until I read this book. It gave some good summaries of deconstuction and structuralism, constative and performative sentences, for example. Some of the chapters made more sense to me than others. I was reading this in conjunction with The Marriage Plot as Madeleine takes some literary theory and semiotics classes.

I'd like to know more, this book was a little TOO concise but it was the one available at the library. Since this is my first introduction to literary theory, I won't be able to comment too much on the pros/cons of this book until I've read more.

Next up - Derrida?? ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
This is a fantastic li'l Lit Theory book. It is short, but rather than superficially skimming the surface of as many theoretical schools as possible, Culler takes a more interesting (and page appropriate) approach by encountering those different schools through an exploration of lit theory's practical concerns. You get chapters like "What is Theory?" and "Language, Meaning, and Interpretation," and as a result of his method, you actually do end up coming across some of the main lines of thinking that these theoretical schools identify with, only you do it with an organic understanding of critical theory's overall nature and purpose.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who reads and/or has even a slight interest in literary or cultural studies. Jonathan Culler does more in 120 pages than most others do in 500. ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |

Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
Well it really didn't teach me anything new, but it did help organize all the literary theory bits that I have bouncing around my brain that I get from listening to Steph complain about school. But I still don't care about learning thinkers' names and quoting from them. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
well, after reading this I am not really any wiser what literary theory is... the answer the book gives is "it depends" ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |

Jonathan D. Cullerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dimiņš, DensEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matulis, HaraldsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

In literary and cultural studies these days there is a lot of talk about theory - not theory of literature, mind you; just plain 'theory'.
Chapter 1
What is theory?

In literary and cultural studies these days, there has for some time been a lot of talk about theory — not theory of literature, mind you; just plain 'theory'.  (2nd ed.)
Preface
Many introductions to literary theory describe a series of 'schools' of criticism.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,500,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible