Hidden

by Rebecca Zanetti

Series: Deep Ops (1)

"A fast-paced, excitement-filled explosion of action." --RT Book Reviews on Marked, 4.5 Stars Top Pick   Hide. That's all Pippa can do to escape the terror chasing her. But now that she's off the grid in a safe house, she finds plenty of interesting things to watch through the window. Like her new neighbor, with his startling green eyes, killer smile, and sexy bad-boy tattoo . . .   "Sizzling sex scenes and a memorable cast." --Publishers Weekly on Claimed   Run. Malcolm West is fleeing the hell he unleashed in his last assignment as an undercover cop. A backwoods bungalow sounds like the perfect place to start over. Until he discovers he's been set up . . .   "Fast-paced romance . . . very compelling. Highly recommended." --Library Journal   Fight. Someone's gone to a lot of trouble to bring them together. No matter how much he resents that, and his own driving needs, Malcolm will have to dig deep and let loose the banished killer inside himself, or Pippa's fears could come true faster than the flip of a bolt in a lock . . .   "Sexy . . . packed with action and danger--a real page turner." --New York Times bestselling author Kat Martin… (more)

Please see all of my reviews on my blog at www.robinlovesreading.blogspot.com.

My rating: 4.5 Stars

Malcolm is part of a Special Ops team led by Wolfe. Malcolm learns that the cult is much more than brainwashing people in the name of exclusive worship to a charismatic leader. The cult may be planning a mass attack with bombs. Malcolm takes his assignment quite seriously. He quickly develops an intense intimate relationship with Pippa, and realizes his attraction to her goes beyond the physical. Pippa is torn. She is dealing with her time in the cult, the ever-present danger she is in even now and her growing feelings towards Malcolm.

Hidden is an incredibly thrilling book! Whether the cult is mentioned, the impending attack, or how things are evolving between Pippa and Malcolm, this story is a true time-stealer. This multi-layered story was quite riveting. It was truly impelling and I could not put it down. Add to all of this were the incredible characters. Most assuredly Malcolm and Pippa were outstanding, but then there was the Deep Ops team, including Wolfe, Angus, Raider and Brigid, to name a few. Of course, I have to at least mention Roscoe the dog and Kat the kitten. Loved them too.

The romance between Pippa and Malcolm happened in a flash, but the level of intrigue was definitely present throughout. This was an incredibly fast-paced story. As things began to draw to a close, the impelling danger was truly a page-turner.

This is the first book that I have read by Rebecca Zanetti as it was sent to me by the publisher. Hidden is book #1 in the Deep Ops series. It will be followed by Taken in 2019 and will have Raider Tanaka’s story.

Many thanks to Kensington Books for the print ARC for review. Both Pippa Smith and Malcolm West are in flight. Pippa is hiding in a safe house after escaping a dangerous cult. She is still in grave danger. Malcolm is a cop and his flight is for a different reason. He experienced quite a difficult time during his last undercover assignment. He thinks that he will have time to regroup. He has no time to do that, however. He is quite incensed when he learns that he is being assigned to infiltrate a cult while getting close to a former cult member at the same time. As close as possible, that is. His assignment is none other than Pippa Smith.

Many thanks to Kensington Books for the print ARC for review. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
Hidden by Rebecca Zanetti
Deep Ops #1

Hooray! A new series by an author I know will always provide a story I won’t be able to put down – her books are always just that good! And, this is a brilliant introduction to a team I know I am going to enjoy getting to know a whole lot better!

The Requisition Force is a group that has been set up by an FBI profiler – a rather clandestine group that works with/for HDD. They have handlers that are sketchy and it would seem a rather different group of people on the team. With a hacker to help them taken from jail, a profiler on the hunt for a beastly serial killer that killed his sister, an investigator that we don’t learn much about this time and an ex lieutenant commander and perhaps more to come this group is a hodgepodge that could very well mesh into a group to be reckoned with.

In this book Pippa Smith is doing her best to survive quietly under the radar when Malcolm West – ex undercover cop – moves in next door. Both suffer from past experiences that have left them with PTSD and panic attacks. How they meet, get to know one another, grow close, work together to bring down a cult leader bad guy and eventually are incorporated into the team that will star in this series is something I thoroughly enjoyed!

Did I like this book? Definitely!
Do I want to read more in this series? Can’t wait!

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington-Zebra for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Sep 28, 2018 |
Hidden by Rebecca Zanetti

Romantic suspense. First in the Deep Ops series.
A newly formed Undercover team investigates a cult. The heroine has been on the run from the same cult for years. She’s a bit skittish. Malcolm falls for her quickly, sure she is innocent in the upcoming and unknown threat from the cult.
Fast moving action, suspense and hot, sexy romantic connections.

Secondary characters:
Haha. The dog doesn’t know when to stop drinking whiskey. As they were leaving, he raced back to the table, knocked the bottle over, grabbed the neck in his mouth and then drained the bottle, his tail wagging. But no worries, the owner has had him to the vet several times checking on the dogs liver. All good. Not that the dog was supposed to drink, but he sometimes got into the liquor cabinet.
What a hoot! The dog has a few other issues that are revealed throughout the story.

The rest of the agency staff all have their own quirks. Wolfe with Kat the kitten. Leader Angus. The freed jailbird computer hacker with the Irish accent. I can’t wait to read all their stories.

Excerpt:
“I, ah, bake sometimes.” The flush intensified as she looked down at him from not much height. “A lot. I bake a lot.”
It smelled like what heaven should smell like. He’d probably never know. Was it rude to beg? It probably was. Would she let him buy whatever it was that smelled so good? It was probably also rude to offer money to a new neighbor for baked goods. He’d never learned much in the manners department. Manipulation, hell yeah. But something in him, something he definitely didn’t want to examine, balked at manipulating her. “I can microwave,” he offered. “Good noodles.”
“Oh.”
She slid the door open and edged halfway inside. Indecision crossed her face; she looked almost pained. She probably had great manners and was now fighting them. He rolled to his feet and shook out his left leg, which had cramped. The ache from his thigh was a constant companion, but at least the bullet had missed an artery. When he could, he took several steps back to give her space. The skies opened, and rain began to drop.
“Um, I could give you a couple of cookies, if you’d like.” Her knuckles were white as she clutched the door. Damn, he wanted those cookies. But her body language, even if he wasn’t an expert, showed she didn’t want him inside. In fact, she was barring the way.
“My boots are dirty,” he lied easily. “I’d love a couple of cookies, but do you mind if I stay on the porch? My socks have holes, and I’d rather not remove my boots. Too much ego, you know.”
Excerpt from Hidden by Rebecca Zanetti.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley. I also purchased a copy to share. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Sep 15, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

The day he moved in next door, dark clouds covered the sky with the promise of a powerful storm.

Lots of hot sex there
Traumatic backgrounds for both
Crazy cult there too

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,262,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible